GWTW Forum
April 16, 2014, 03:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solus News  (Read 1915 times)
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« on: March 13, 2013, 09:57 PM »

Some of you know I have been a big fan of the Solus since first flying the prototype.  For Devin's first ground up build I still think he did a great job.  However, there are those of you that have them and have voiced some concerns about it I have been looking at quit a bit.  Between Kevin's post and several others I have talked to about the kite there has been definite "disappointment" in the performance and some have even sold them shortly after the first few flights because of it.  THanks to Rob being willing to send me his solus for a few months to fly along with mine I was seeing what some of you were talking about and after a couple weeks of trying to set up a few Std kites for team/pairs it was obvious that something was off. Seeing as how Devin is busy with school a lot and Jon with his business I decided to step up and help see what can be done to improve the kite.

After working on the kite for the past 6+ months(with Jon's permission and input), I came up with some changes that I think really improve the kite both in trick performance as well as precision.  Those of you that went to KP had a chance to fly the Solus Std I sent down there with the new set up on it. I've only heard from a couple people so far and few people asked to test it out for specific flying styles haven't reported back yet but I've been told the changes were liked quite a bit and now that kite is in Jon's hands so he can copy the set up and work out how to get the changes out to people that already have Solus' as well as other business side concerns so stay tuned for more info on that. I'll be making up an instruction sheet myself as well.

If you got a chance to fly the Solus Std (flo yellow/red/black) I sent to KP please post up what you thought.  I made the changes with the mindset that if you know how to swap rods and measure you can perform them yourself but there was one change that does require some minor sewing.  For anyone that has a Solus and would like the new changes done I'm offering to do the changes for people myself.  If you'd like the info on the changes so you can do them yourself let me know but it will take a few days for me to write up the instructions. Devin has not had a chance to try out the new set up yet and Jon is going to be busy working out the details he needs to so for now if you have any questions contact me.  These changes have not been fully tested on the UL yet and are just for the Std version for now.

It's been a lot of work but rather fun and I now have a new respect for those that design kites from scratch.  Jon and Devin have both been great throughout my meddling with the tune up of the Solus and I have a lot of respect for them. My thanks to them for letting me help.

Anthony

Edit: If you like the Solus as it is then you don't have to change it since it's still a great kite as released.  Pure trick fliers may not notice a big difference. My goal was to keep the trick performance and improve the precision side of the kite to make it better in the team/ballet setting that was part of the original design goals (and my personal flying style).  I think the results improve the kite all around, sent them to Jon and a couple kites to KP to see what others thought. If your interested in what the changes are I will have them written up in an instruction sheet in a few days.  Just PM me and I will send the file to you when I have it done. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 06:43 PM by Ca Ike » Logged
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 11:49 PM »

I didn't hear anything about this.  Cry

I would have loved to try your mods.

Let me know how all this plays out please.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Ca Ike

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 12:12 AM »

I didn't hear anything about this.  Cry

I would have loved to try your mods.

Let me know how all this plays out please.  Smiley
Sorry John.  I heard Mark, Alex and a couple others monopolized the kite Smiley  I haven't mentioned it before because I wanted to make sure they were good changes, Jon got a chance to fly it and KP was the best place to get them tested by a lot of people. I also wanted Jon to approve them since he has to make the decision on a business standpoint if its feasible to add them to production kites.  I had to make sure they worked, were easy to implement for the least amount of additional work possible so Jon's production cost didn't increase and simple so people can make the changes themselves.  Not an easy thing to do.

I guess you didn't read my reply to your post in the ripon fly  thread Sad  I'll see about sending my solus out to vegas for you guys to test out.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 04:50 AM »

Well, my hat goes off to you, Anthony. There was a lot of hard work that you did, I bet you're surprised yourself how much went into it. Hopefully you saved my Solus from the dark of my basement. It was too nice of a kite to be banished with the rest of the kites that I don't fly. I really liked everything about the kite, except the way it flew. I'm glad that you agreed with me that there was something off about mine. It was different than yours, that you spoke so highly about.
I'm looking forward to flying it again, and I'm hoping that it takes back the spot in my 'A' bag that it deserves. A kite that looks that good, and built that nice deserves to be flown. I hope Jon doesn't like it too much that he decides to keep it !  Cheesy

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 09:54 AM »

Anthony has been a man obsessed. Every month out at Ripon he's got the Solus going most of the day. I tend to get nervous when I hear about the latest great mods to an already good kite. Especially when they are published after only a week or two of the modder owning said kite.

In the case of the Solus, Anthony has paid his dues big time, has had his moments of doubt and pain, and now big smiles for the finished result. I'd say these mods are worth a try.  Smiley

Allen, AKA kitehead
harveystubbs
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 12:02 PM »

What are the problems with this kite then? I have flown one and I think it's great. What areas/ characteristics are you trying to improve?
Ca Ike

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 03:48 PM »

What are the problems with this kite then? I have flown one and I think it's great. What areas/ characteristics are you trying to improve?
  One of the biggest things mentioned is was the stability of the kite and the oversteer it has. Kaos posted a thread on that a while back and more than a few came out agreeing with him. From a team standpoint, speed control, consistency and adjustability.  Mark and Jeanette Lumas spent months working with a couple and couldn't get them to fly the way they needed or even fly close to the same and ultimately went with a different kite because of it.  For me and a few old school style fliers I know it was the loss of good rotational performance and overall flyability (precision)that was in the prototype but not so much in the final version.  The huge dead spot in the flic flac that demanded a short more nose down flare or over rotated flare making some tricks unreliable at best.  Some complained of not even being able to fly it in less than 8mph.

DOn't get me wrong though pretty much everyone that tried it likes the kites potential but the overall sense was that it needed to be smoothed out and made more consistent.  MOre than a few people found a change as small as a few mph completely changed the way the kite flew requiring constant bridle adjustments.  I Flew the kite for several months exclusively paying attention to every nuance.  HOw it downwind glides, sits in a stall, slides, how the drive is in the lower end of the range, how the feel is as it passed through the window, etc.  Talked to Jon several times while working on getting a few to fly the same for pairs stuff and ultimately checking and adjusting every spec on the kite was the only thing left to do. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 04:03 PM by Ca Ike » Logged
RobB

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 05:13 PM »

My take on it is that some people's kites flew great, and others flew different. I wish I could've flown Anthony's to say for sure, but he's 3000 miles away. Mine wouldn't fly in lower winds that his would. And mine just flew weird, hard to explain, as I haven't flown it in a long time, and didn't fly it very much when I did first get it because it frustrated me. Granted, I'm not a top level flyer by any stretch, but I do have a few other kites, and most of them I enjoy flying. Anthony had me measure the bridle, and the dimensions were much different than his, as well as the right side & left side being over an inch different. He offered, so I sent it to him. It wasn't going to get flown here anymore, so what did I have to lose ?
I'll post my new opinion of the kite once it comes home...

harveystubbs

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 05:37 PM »

Sounds like the tow point is too narrow and needs to be be taken up and out or the turbo leg shortened. It would help with the stability, wind range and precision. The trouble is I like the small inputs this kite has for a big kite and these changes might lessen this feel a little. I like the solus. Cool
Ca Ike

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 08:14 PM »

Sounds like the tow point is too narrow and needs to be be taken up and out or the turbo leg shortened. It would help with the stability, wind range and precision. The trouble is I like the small inputs this kite has for a big kite and these changes might lessen this feel a little. I like the solus. Cool
The bridle was just part of the equation. The inputs didn't change much at all other than not needing such sharp pops.  THe flow is a lot smoother.  The only input that did change is in the flic flac since the dead spot is gone.  Believe me I took every suggestion that was posted starting with the bridle settings Kevin came up with. It turned out to be a combination of things needing to be adjusted to bring the kite home. Honestly I think you will like the changes.  Tricks like BS cascade are easier, It has a better front flip and is all around smoother.  Still trickable as fast or slow as you like but some tricks are more accessable.  Crazy copter is good and yo fade is there now taz seems easier and I've gotten a few single pop double rotation taz.  Once I get them written up I will send them to you and you can try them for yourself.  THey are small changes that combined made a big difference but its easy enough to put them back if you want Smiley 
Mahtman
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 11:49 AM »

I look forward to reading more about the Solus mod process when it's available. Given that some Solus kites are reported to differ in specs, I also hope to learn how to judge the degree to which my personal Solus would benefit from the mods.

The Solus Std and UL are my first top-line kites and I've loved them both a lot since I got them a year ago. I had a chance to fly a friend's new WM Std this past summer and wow that kite was so much easier for me to trick -- better balanced, more stable in a turtle, easy to axel -- even (especially?) to a newbie like me, although I really missed the quickness, precise cornering, and razor-straight paths of my Solus. My respect for JT flies high and true.

CA Ike, thanks for your hard work, dedication, and sharing spirit on this project.

Mahtman

Skyburner Solus Std & UL, Ocius SUL; Gomberg Delta Conyne; Prism Quantum, Zero G
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 05:02 AM »

Got to try anthonys changes yesterday and now that I haven seen more of what people reallllly want out of the kite (from feedback at KP) I went with the changes and did a few smaller things myself as well. I think you all will appreciate the changes and enjoy a more accessible kite with improved tracking while keeping all the tricks. There will be a write up and a report on where we're going with this new idea and what it will bring to the Solus series of kites. UL is in progress. I've been cleared to fly on and off after the surgery and now that a looootttt of the bulk of my semester is coming to an end I will be testing more kites and flying more, so please please please if ANYONE has a suggestion of what they want out of the kite or what they would like to see please dont hesitate to message me through here or email me. Keep your eyes pealed- a more tame, accessible, and improved breed of Solus' is on the horizon.   Cool

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Wayner
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 11:20 AM »

Keep your eyes pealed- a more tame, accessible, and improved breed of Solus' is on the horizon.   Cool

Grin
harveystubbs

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 03:29 PM »

Keep your eyes pealed- a more tame, accessible, and improved breed of Solus' is on the horizon.   Cool

Grin

When Huh??
RobB

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 04:26 PM »

Devin, I'm glad that you approve of Anthony's mods. If you remember about a year ago, we had messaged back & forth a little about my Solus. This is what evolved, Anthony tried to help me with it over the phone, and he finally just told me to send it to him. I think he got frustrated & didn't believe that I knew how to measure !   Cheesy

So, are you Skyburner guys done kickin' my kite around ? Is it flying home anytime soon ?   Grin

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography