GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 02:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TOTL Hawiian team kite setup?  (Read 3706 times)
butaford
Trade Count: (0)

« on: March 16, 2013, 02:36 PM »

Newbie here.  I have two TOTL Hawaiian team kites from the 80's. They were my Dads kites but have been sitting for 20+ years. They look to be in pretty good shape. I flew them as a kid but I have no clue how to put them together or what needs to be inspected before flying them again. What kind of wind do these need to fly? Any info appreciated.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 03:12 PM »

As far as wind, mine likes ~8mph-15mph. It starts to pull like a truck at that point, so I put it away before it breaks the lines.

Are yours as old as this one ?

butaford

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 04:48 PM »

I know they are mid to late 80s. Will get some pics when I get home.
butaford

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 07:37 PM »

Can't post any pics. Says uploader is full.
whitebirdlover
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 11:52 PM »

Here they are, looks like you have one of them set up. Nice combo of colors on the blue... Hot and Cold running kites...
Get one in each hand and hold on tight  Wink

Anthony
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 12:16 AM »

Check over the vinyl connectors the spreaders go into, but one of mine is from 1988 and they are still fine. The elastics that tension the sail may have died over they years if exposed to much heat, if they don't have good elasticity still Steve right here at GWTW/Chico Kites stocks replacements. I'd check the bridle for any fraying or deterioration too. Don must've used good glue on the ferrules as I've never had one fail so your probably safe there. If you inherited the original Kevlar lines many of us used back then you might check them or replace them, Kevlar degrades from UV exposure so if they've seen a lot of use they may be weakened. New Kevlar is yellow, they degrade to and orange/umber color, if they get much darker and are getting fuzzy it's probably time to retire them, those kites should be flown on 150-200 lb test line in all but their lowest wind range.

(I can stay on thread ... sometimes)

« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 12:30 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
whitebirdlover

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 07:19 AM »

This pair would look great stacked... Cool

Anthony
butaford

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 06:28 PM »

Took the blue and purple one out today. Only got to fly for about 5 minutes before my little boy decided he had to go pee. Flew good, even drug my 230 lb. butt around a little! Grin
Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 07:20 PM »

Took the blue and purple one out today. Only got to fly for about 5 minutes before my little boy decided he had to go pee. Flew good, even drug my 230 lb. butt around a little! Grin

Yep, it drags my 240 lb butt around too,  Smiley   Try stacking them  Huh
Michel
Trade Count: (+12)

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 04:19 AM »

Ara Ararauna

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 05:23 AM »

No way... 25!?  Shocked
That's Photoshop in action...   Undecided

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 10:17 PM »

No repeats in colors, it's either a dang good photoshop or it's real. I'd bet it's real, it still wouldn't be the craziest thing ever done with kites.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 11:56 PM »

No way... 25!?  Shocked

Nope thats real but its not the full size team kite in that stack.  Probably the 3/4 hawaiian.
whitebirdlover

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 03:46 PM »

No way... 25!?  Shocked

Nope thats real but its not the full size team kite in that stack.  Probably the 3/4 hawaiian.

Hmmm...
Can't quite decide on the P.S. aspect. The vanishing point isn't quite right on the sizing from top to bottom and the wind on the waves seems to be in a different direction...
Either way, a real stack with a strong flyer or a decent P.S. effort...  Cool

Anthony
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 04:39 PM »

The photoshopping is in the words and a bit of enhancing. I've seen that pic before but not with the captions.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change