GWTW Forum
April 24, 2014, 03:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TOTL Hawiian team kite setup?  (Read 2816 times)
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 08:15 AM »

That photo has been around for longer then Photoshop has been around, late 1980's - early 1990's.

I don't recall the 3/4 being made with the full Chevron Pattern, the ones I saw were somewhat simplified I thought, with the main 4 wing panels being a single color rather then split into two colors but Don made them as he went, that's why there was such a variety of color combinations so there may have been full paneled 3/4's.

There was also a picture Pam Kirk posted of her flying a massive stack like that, I couldn't locate it so it must've been on the old forum, it was 15 or 25.

Troy Gunn could probably vouch for the validity of that photo - which gives me the idea to drop him a PM to see if he would be interested in helping us compile a list of kite records, I think he witnesses or was involved in many of those old attempts. Sort of like the old Al Hargus thread on the history of Sport Kite Competitions that was on the old forum. I still have that old history archived somewhere too if there's any interest.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
whitebirdlover
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 06:55 PM »

There was also a picture Pam Kirk posted of her flying a massive stack like that, I couldn't locate it so it must've been on the old forum, it was 15 or 25.

That would be an interesting sight to see. She might well be lifted off the ground... Wink

Anthony
DD
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 07:05 PM »

i remember there being a discussion either here on the old forum or on fractured axel forum about it.

Sine Metu!
butaford

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 07:31 PM »

Wondering what the black marks are on the bridles are for?
butaford

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 07:43 PM »

Would adding standoffs be beneficial?  If so, what parts would I need?
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2013, 09:19 AM »

Adding stand offs is essential, TOTL released a retrofit kit for them.

It was simply 4 pieces of probably 1/4" vinyl tubing cross drilled to fit over the center battens and the spreaders, just like the stock leading edge connectors are built. Then some 'far too flexible' fiberglass rod for the standoffs. I would suggest using 3 or 4 mm carbon rod instead. I swapped those original flexible fiberglass originals out for the A20 fiberglass tubing on my original in short order.

To attach the fitting on the batten you simply take off the elastic bungee and slip the connector over and past the nock then re-attach the elastic, the standoffs sit at a large angle rather then straight like todays kites.

On my new Skyshark P400 reframed one I went with APA connectors and .1570"  graphite tubes for the standoffs. The TAPA's are nearly the exact right angle to use on the battens and they point the standoffs almost directly at the spreader. I used .1880" graphite for the battens so the TAPA's fit the battens perfectly but you might have to drill them out a bit to fit over the stock E40 battens. If you want to go with APA's you'll need 2 x TAPA-X for the battens and 2 x APA 312 on the spreaders for use on the stock framing. I'll have to measure the standoff length, Kite Day tomorrow so I'll be into the kite bag later today.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 09:28 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
butaford

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2013, 04:13 PM »

Where's the cheapest place to buy carbon fiber tubes?
coop
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 04:29 PM »

In that insane stack, I really want that white/green/light blue colored one!

TOTL Hawaiian Spinoff(2), TOTL Hawaiian Team(2), TOTL Windrule, TOTL NSR, HQ Passion, MEFM(Aust.), MEFM vented(Aus), MEFM(2), BMK Mamba, HQ Tramontana, NoNaMe, Stranger, Psycho, Atomic Wedgee, BMK Mantis UL, TOTL Sizzle
Wayner
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013, 06:30 PM »

In that insane stack, I really want that white/green/light blue colored one!

Me too.  Wink
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2013, 12:03 AM »

Where's the cheapest place to buy carbon fiber tubes?

Check out the Forum supporters who advertise on the right, I don't think you'll find a huge difference in prices. Shipping may differ so be sure to check those prices.

Jon T at Skyburner/Skyshark on the right is one of the shops that makes sure us kite flyers have a supply of good framing materials available, he's always a great place to start. You'll find his shop at www.kitesandfunthings.com

coop

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2013, 06:54 AM »

Adding stand offs is essential, TOTL released a retrofit kit for them.

I wouldnt say they are essential. I have them on one of mine. But my oldest is all original without stand offs and it still flys great. They do help in lower wind, but lets be honest, the Hawaiian isnt near as fun to fly in low wind. Smiley

TOTL Hawaiian Spinoff(2), TOTL Hawaiian Team(2), TOTL Windrule, TOTL NSR, HQ Passion, MEFM(Aust.), MEFM vented(Aus), MEFM(2), BMK Mamba, HQ Tramontana, NoNaMe, Stranger, Psycho, Atomic Wedgee, BMK Mantis UL, TOTL Sizzle
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2013, 07:02 AM »

The largest benefit is the relaunch capability they add, that's where the original TOTL's flimsy stand offs fell short, a stiffer stand off will hold the kite from falling flat which then requires staking the handles and making the walk. The benefit they were developed for is the edge handling though. Without them the kite sail flattens as you approach the edge of the window, looses lift and falls out of the sky, with them you'll widen that restricted wind window to more than 180* with control, although the edge turns may require turning under, it is still a heavy kite. A 4 person team needed the widest window possible, the "Whiskers" gave it to them.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 07:20 AM by mikenchico » Logged

butaford

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2013, 08:16 AM »

Anyone have the printed instructions, if there where any, that they could post up here? I don't know how to set or adjust the bridles.
coop

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2013, 08:23 AM »

Anyone have the printed instructions, if there where any, that they could post up here? I don't know how to set or adjust the bridles.

I think I have an original owners manual at home. I will look tonight. I will post pics if I have it.

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2013, 08:34 AM »

Hey Coop:
Can you shoot me a copy of that?   I thought i had the Hawaiian instructions, but apparently not....

Butaford: adjusting the bridle will be just like adjusting most sport kite bridles.....you can get an idea of it from googling that....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography