GWTW Forum
May 28, 2016, 01:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: email the Forum Admin: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Converting a 1.20m twin line matras to single liner, can it be done?  (Read 3580 times)
pompebled
Trade Count: (0)

« on: November 06, 2015, 02:36 AM »

Going through my rarely flown kites I found three of these Chinese two line matrasses, 120 x 50 cm with 12 cells.
Everyone knows them, the don't fly particulary well.

I remember getting three at the local supermarket so the kids and I would have identical kites to fly together (never happened due to the bad flying kites).

I wonder if this kite could be flown as a single liner, as a wide parafoil?

Having built parafoils before, my first impression is that the dimensions are wrong; too wide, not deep enough (maybe a long tail?)

The cell profiles have a flat bottom, so that is 'parafoil' like.

I could cut off the outer cells to get a more square form, but that would also make it a very small kite.

My other parafoils have triangles at the bottom of the profile where the bridles are attached, this kite only has eyelets for the bridle.

Should I break out the sewing machine and add these triangles?

Your views on the matter please.

Regards, Jan.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 11:01 AM by pompebled » Logged

Kiteflyers are nice people.
Lex B

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 10:29 AM »

You'll have a hard job trying that. Undecided
even with the keels at the bottom a parafoil is a very lively kite, the bigger, the steadyer.
taking of cells makes this little one even more nervous.
why not put two together? at the sides ofcourse..
and make a tunnel at the front, Flexifoil-style?

Or [what I did] use the material of the upper and lower deck for nice collorfull kite bags  Grin

remember: amateurs built the ark ..
professionals built the Titanic.
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+28)

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 10:46 AM »

bridle keels are not absolutely necessary...look at the Pillow Foil that PEter Lynn designed....flies quite well without them.

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
pompebled

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 11:11 AM »

why not put two together? at the sides ofcourse..
That would result in a weird kite, as the cells taper down from the middle towards both sides.
I don't say it can't be done, but that would mean taking two kites apart and sew the similar sized cells together again.
I could put the same effort in a kite that will fly well to begin with...

I did take off the short twin bridle and replaced it with a single bridle 2,5 x the width of the kite.
For now just two rows, just to see if it'll fly as a single line kite.

While waiting for the rain to stop (and the light to come back), I'll check out Peter Lynns Pillow Foil.
[EDIT] Very few pictures to be found of this kite, where to look?[EDIT]

Weather permitting I'll go testing tomorrow, see if I can get the bridles adjusted.
I'll record my efforts.

Regards, Jan.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 01:25 PM by pompebled » Logged

Lex B

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 11:25 AM »

That would result in a weird kite, as the cells taper down from the middel towards both sides.
I don't say it can't be done, but that would mean taking two kites apart and sew the similar sized cells together again.

Ahh,
thought they were rectangular ))

remember: amateurs built the ark ..
professionals built the Titanic.
pompebled

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 08:55 AM »

Well, it stopped raining this afternoon, so out I went to do some testing.

When I got at the field, the wind had picked up considerably (6Bft), so even untangling the bridle was hard to do alone.

The kite filled with air easily, but I never got around to flying it as the wind was too strong to allow me to make adjustments to the bridle.
It just flapped around like mad.

I popped everything back in the trunk and went home.
Maybe tomorrow...

Regards, Jan.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 08:09 AM by pompebled » Logged

pompebled

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 11:53 AM »

Last sunday was a nice day (no rain and relative warm for the time of year) with sufficient wind.
I tied the kite to a ground pin, let out 20 m of line and started to work on the bridle.

This took the better part of an hour in which the kite veered off to the right, or the left, but never would stay in the air for more than a few seconds.

I altered the angle; too flat and it flopped up and down, too steep and the kite would fold, somewhere in between and it would go up and veer off...

I started with the kite flat, and shortened the outer lines to see if this would stabilze the kite, but no luck, even a cone, or a long draggy tail only extended the 'flight' marginally before the kite veered off to the left or the right.

Predominantly it veered off to the left, but even shortening the bridle on the opposite site didn't stop that, too short and it would veer off to the right...

I have some crappy video (too far away), but the camera quit after 6 minutes, in stead of recording the entire session, so I could have cut the relevant parts together, now I won't bother.

I got fed up and flew some other kites in the nice breeze.

It seems this kite doesn't want to fly as a single liner.
Suggestions anyone?

Regards, Jan.

cheapo

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 08:38 AM »

What's happening is that as the kite moves to one side, the wing tip that's pointing down loses lift because of the curve, just when you really want it to do the opposite.
Try lengthening the outer bridle lines in stead. That would give the kite some 'dihedral'. This should improve stability due to the lowered wing tip gaining lift while the lift affecting the upper one reduces. (this is why all the cheap rc gliders have up curving wing tips)  Wink

Hope that helps.

Is it windy yet?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom