GWTW Forum
September 03, 2014, 12:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just my 2 cents  (Read 3157 times)
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 02:31 AM »

I've been floored by some of your machinations and vitriol and have been quite impressed at how civilized the responses have been to your aggression, accusations, and insults. I don't believe this forum is like anything resembling other forums you've undoubtedly participated in, so maybe a different approach to this one is in order. If you want to learn about kites and get to know some pretty wonderful people of all ages, races, and genders, this is the place to be ..... and you will be more than welcomed. If you just want to play the troll, another forum might be a better fit.

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Mayfirst
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 03:21 AM »

I've been floored by some of your machinations and vitriol and have been quite impressed at how civilized the responses have been to your aggression, accusations, and insults. I don't believe this forum is like anything resembling other forums you've undoubtedly participated in, so maybe a different approach to this one is in order. If you want to learn about kites and get to know some pretty wonderful people of all ages, races, and genders, this is the place to be ..... and you will be more than welcomed. If you just want to play the troll, another forum might be a better fit.

Funny, coming from one of the persons I'm talking about.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 04:46 AM »

Actually I agree with much of for you said. I was just warning against generalizations.
As you might guess I know a fair number of forum members (many personally) and the overwhelming majority are accepting and encouraging of all comers into our little … sport… hobby… pastime… whatever
… But really, is there a community without an ass hole or 2?I think not
I am probably another member that May is complaining about. Sorry, May, just calling it as I see it. 20 somethings that I come in contact with are not interested in something 'boring' like kites... fast cars, motorcycles, addreneline sports, and electronics. I live in New York, it's probably much different here than where you live.
Also, being a New Yorker, you get used to being called an a$$hole, no offence taken !   Shocked

Hadge

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 05:01 AM »

I have to say that in my experience this place is probably the easiest going and open minded kite forum there is !   If you think you're being hazed here, then you might find some of the other forums a real bear pit.

I think it's mostly a slight difference in forum etiquette here in that they like you to stick pretty much to the topic whereas the European based forums do tend to wander off. Most of us have inadvertantly gone off topic from time to time, I don't think anyone is having a dig at you personally, it's just that not everything translates well in it's journey over the pond so you have to make slight 'adjustments' from our side.

There're a good bunch of people here who are always willing to help anyone who asks....don't be too hasty in judgeing them before you really get to know them.

As for attracting young people into kite flying, there are loads that fly kites!....unfortuately most of them fly power kites. I can buy 3-4 kite magazines here in the UK, every one powerkites, absolutely nothing on stunt/trick kites. The majority of Youtube videos are power kites, if kites are mentioned on the media it's mostly power kites and so power kites are the thing to be seen doing by younger people. Dual lines are for kids and they only go round and round. If you fly a 15m power kite you're a hero if you fly a stunt kite then you're a bit odd.  How do you change attitudes....I really don't know.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
red sweater

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 07:14 AM »

I follow one other forum. It's a forum for an online computer game. (I'm not that far removed from my 20's. Wink ) It's really a caustic place. If you're not flinging sarcasm and snark, you're a target. When I come here and post, and it's very different. I won't say it's the opposite -- folks still like to have fun and rib each other here -- but there is zero (detectable to me) hostility.

If some folks are disparaging to general groups of people to the point where it offends, I must be desensitized (it's quite possible, I'm not trying to be sarcastic -- I also follow politics closely, which easily contributes), because it doesn't look that bad to me. Granted, this is a subjective measure, and I'm sure there is room for improvement among most (or all) of us.

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 07:43 AM »

I'm based in southern England, and can only talk from personal experience, but I've never been part of a community which is so laid-back and friendly as kiting folk. Both on the 'net and in the flesh. In my experience, anyone showing an interest in flying kites is welcomed, independent of colour, sex, age, etc, etc. Walk up to anyone flying a kite at a festival and strike up a conversation, and all you'll encounter is friendliness, and people being glad you show interest.

Just my 2 pennies (don't have cents here)  Wink

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 08:30 AM »

not to say that there has not been some inter-personal issues here, there have been that have taken up a lot of people's time, but the stress level here is pretty low....

I am not certain where the whole "tagging HiJack" bit is coming from....that is nothing that the mod's are requested to do.....the original poster can do it if they want, but personally i expect that any thread that has more than one page has deviated from the original question....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 11:32 AM »

Funny, coming from one of the persons I'm talking about.
Yes I know. You're young and you're female and I'm jealous and want you out of here. Got it.

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
sluggo

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2013, 02:05 PM »

I go out to see local music quite frequently. Now that I'm well into my 40s, I really start to see the age gap between me and the average person standing next to me. I'd love to see more people closer to my demographic out at shows, but I understand quite well why that just doesn't tend to happen. On the other hand, I've never felt anything but completely welcomed by the constituency of various local music scenes. They would be delighted to see more people of any age show up.

I'm trying unsuccessfully to imagine myself complaining to any of the bands or show promoters that there aren't more older folks in the audience. If I did happen to mention it to someone and they politely informed me that old folks tend to have various responsibilities and changing priorities that are somewhat incompatible with hanging out in bars on weeknights, I have a hard time imagining I would interpret that as hostility. And certainly if I bugged them about ways I think they ought to change things, and they didn't seem to jump up and make my wishes into a top priority, I seriously doubt I would consider that rejection.
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2013, 02:24 PM »

I go out to see local music quite frequently. Now that I'm well into my 40s, I really start to see the age gap between me and the average person standing next to me. I'd love to see more people closer to my demographic out at shows, but I understand quite well why that just doesn't tend to happen. On the other hand, I've never felt anything but completely welcomed by the constituency of various local music scenes. They would be delighted to see more people of any age show up.

I'm trying unsuccessfully to imagine myself complaining to any of the bands or show promoters that there aren't more older folks in the audience. If I did happen to mention it to someone and they politely informed me that old folks tend to have various responsibilities and changing priorities that are somewhat incompatible with hanging out in bars on weeknights, I have a hard time imagining I would interpret that as hostility. And certainly if I bugged them about ways I think they ought to change things, and they didn't seem to jump up and make my wishes into a top priority, I seriously doubt I would consider that rejection.

+1

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
dayhiker

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2013, 07:09 PM »

Got bashed a little when I enthusiastically jumped in with three lengthy posts when I joined this forum recently.  It hurt my fragile feelings but I wanted to learn about kites & this is the place.  So then a few people posted some positive comments & I felt a bit better.  Then I started to realize that I needed to just coast along a bit to get a feel for the neighborhood.  Hang in there, stay with us, we need your insights.  I fly in a very isolated environment here in the rural mountains of Virginia.  The only people who have shown any interest so far are women.  Interestingly it is similar to my experience with owning & riding horses.

"Well him & my uncle tore that engine down
 I still remember that rumblin' sound"   Steve Earle
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2013, 04:45 PM »

I have noticed some interpersonal altercations, BUT it is very rare from what I've seen and so many kiters have been willing to offer me help. I see more egos rub when it comes to evaluating kite performance, stunt names or hand control movements. I think it's a lot like golf, that I had to give up because of the time commitment. So many different pieces of equipment and so many different teachers can screw a golfer up, but with lots of practice a lot of golfers get better in their own way. Just listen to the commentators describe different golfers swings. Ultimately it comes down personal preference on equipment, but time and practice are the constants.

Edit: I have been nothing but happy with my acceptance on this forum a year ago. I have probably regressed a lot over the winter, but look forward to spending what little time I have flying again. I tell everyone I'm a geek because I like to fly kites, but it makes me happy to be outside and gaining the satisfaction of learning a trick after much practice and concentration. Anyone who knows me well will tell you I'm not a patient person. BTW, I'm 43 with very little spare time, but content with my hobby. Maybe some think it's not cool to fly kites, but macho to do extreme sport foil flying.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 05:02 PM by Tmadz » Logged
trigger

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2013, 09:38 PM »

I've been a member for just under a year now and can't tell you how much I've learned from the people here!  I am an information junkie and may not post that much(most people are more experience on the topic) but I read just about everything picking up what ever i can.
The written word doesn't come across with the emotion/sarcasm as it does in person(sometimes for the better i'm sure).  I fell in this trap once on here offending somebody that i had no intentions of, only doing it in fun, but it was taken the wrong way.  After some time, people will get to know you and your ways and you will be a true part of the community.  People have been here a long time and don't change over night, but everyone has a place here. 

Stick with us and enjoy the SHOW!
ezme6
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2013, 02:59 PM »

Cry boring topic  Sad

"Do what you like"
kiteslinger
Board Moderator

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2013, 08:19 PM »

[
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document