GWTW Forum
December 18, 2014, 06:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: light winds new kite?????  (Read 2495 times)
Dobo
Trade Count: (0)

« on: March 19, 2013, 12:33 PM »

Hi I am am looking for some advice on what is the best way to go I have not been flying for so long but I have a quantum and a hypnotist I use the quantum at the cabin when am there and the hypnotist at home but as I have found out you can not always
Depend on the wind as often as not it blows when you are at work but come home and it's just a breeze not enough for my kites to fly I as I was looking to get about a hour a day .The thing is i have got two good training kites which I am happy with but I need a good kite I can use in low wind but I still often take a crash or two so it's has to be able to take some stick but I don't want to end up with 3 or 4 training kites so l am looking for a kite I can grow with probably second hand what should I be looking for or should I just wait for the the wind no kite club here were I live in Norway to try different kites I just have the forum to look to     so hooked on flying if I have to pay for good I will pay  just have to start saving   sul? ul? what should I look for
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 01:03 PM »

If its just a breeze, and you're still crashing some, I'd go with a NikNak from skyburner, then maybe move up after you're more comfortable in light winds. The NikNak is a super affordable SUL kite (for an SUL that is, just about 110-125 I think) and flies great. I'd get used to that, and hold onto it, then move up when you're comfortable.

Depending on the Breeze that you're talking about you could even go with a light UL. a UL WidowMaker or Ocius UL/SUL is also extremely well known and well received, and there is also the new Aura from skyburner that will be coming out soon as well, though that is more for Indoor/SUL outdoor winds and is more 'tricky' then the kites previously listed. Steve also just posted a new Prism 3D that is a great indoor kite that you could look into as well, or an HQ Breeze, or shadow. Just trying to think of more affordable options, as it seems like you'd be on the fence of moving up soon anyways.

Also, if you're looking to cut some figures in the sky, and have great pull and solid tracking in .5mph of wind, totally look into the ProDancer SUL. My favorite SUL for the 16 years I've been flying.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Charles P

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 01:46 PM »

I think any "high end" UL or SUL would work good for you. I think the only thing to keep in mind would be that if you plan on doing a lot of different tricks, the lighter the kite, the more limited in the amount of tricks it will perform well.
 For example the Ocius SUL weighs about 4 ounces so it will fly in almost no wind but it has trouble doing pitch manouvers such as roll ups, flic flacs etc.
 I own a Seven SUL which weighs around 8 ounces, flies well in about 1.5-2mph winds but it will do any trick you ask of it.
 As for crashing, you know how you fly better than anyone but in my opinion as long as you are past the stage of continually ramming your kite into the ground, you should be just fine with any kite as with an UL or SUL the wind speeds are much lower and so too are the severity of your crashes.

In the bag,

Seven SUL, Deep Space UL, Seven Std., Deep Space Vented
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 01:59 PM »

Hi I am am looking for some advice on what is the best way to go I have not been flying for so long but I have a quantum and a hypnotist I use the quantum at the cabin when am there and the hypnotist at home but as I have found out you can not always
Depend on the wind as often as not it blows when you are at work but come home and it's just a breeze not enough for my kites to fly I as I was looking to get about a hour a day .The thing is i have got two good training kites which I am happy with but I need a good kite I can use in low wind but I still often take a crash or two so it's has to be able to take some stick but I don't want to end up with 3 or 4 training kites so l am looking for a kite I can grow with probably second hand what should I be looking for or should I just wait for the the wind no kite club here were I live in Norway to try different kites I just have the forum to look to     so hooked on flying if I have to pay for good I will pay  just have to start saving   sul? ul? what should I look for

There is a really good deal here: http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=9395.0;topicseen

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Dobo

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 02:26 PM »

Hi it's  good advice  Smiley but I was thinking I had  to be much more experience flyer before I begin to think about top end kites or is what I have read is wrong may be I should go for a deal  than I have seen
http://fracturedaxel.co.uk/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=12128
Or am I jumping the gun and is this good deal? HuhHuh
Charles P

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 03:51 PM »

Dobo, I too thought as you do and in hind sight I wish I would have bought a high end kite sooner than I did. I must have bought 7 or 8 cheaper kites as I was first learning.
 The performance difference between an expensive and well built kite as opposed to a lot of the cheaper versions are night and day.  As many experienced fliers have told me (and they are not incorrect) those cheaper kites can do pretty much all the things that an expensive kite can do, BUT.......
 A high end kite makes things alot easier and most just want to trick where as a cheaper kite seems to need a lot more effort on your part to perform.
 I suggest taking the plunge, I am sure you will be happy.
  Yes those Gemini's are a steal if they are in good shape. I think that set brand new would run about 1200 BP's!!!
 If your considering that purchase I would not wait to long, I bet they will be gone in a hurry!

In the bag,

Hadge

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 04:09 PM »

Yes those Gemini's are a steal if they are in good shape. I think that set brand new would run about 1200 BP's!!!

Around 600 new - exchange rate works in our favour  Wink....still a great bargain. With those 3 kites you would cover pretty much any wind that is flyable with the possible exception of very light winds - the Gem UL is a UL not a SUL.  Great deal for someone.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Charles P

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 05:45 PM »

[/quote]

Around 600 new - exchange rate works in our favour  Wink....still a great bargain.
[/quote]

Oopps!! Sorry for the math error, I believe my thought process was in U.S. dollars.    Wink

In the bag,

Hadge

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 02:38 AM »

Around 600 new - exchange rate works in our favour  Wink....still a great bargain.
[/quote]

Oopps!! Sorry for the math error, I believe my thought process was in U.S. dollars.    Wink

[/quote]

Sadly it works the wrong way for us importing kites from the States, what you pay in Dollars I pay in Pounds after import duties and taxes!  Sad

Back on the topic, HQ have a new lightwind kite in the catalogue this year called the Stratus - basically similar to the Shadow but with a Ripstop sail and all plain carbon 4&5mm framing selling ( on the German kite sites) at around 80 Euro's- HQ say it's quite tricky - anyone heard any more about it?

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 02:45 AM by Hadge » Logged

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 07:34 AM »

I see you have two Prisms already, do you have a local dealer then for Prism Kites? If so you might consider a Prism Zephyr, it's not an SUL, more of a Light, but it'll fly in half the wind that your Quantum and Hypnotist will fly in and it isn't an extremely fragile kite.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
trigger

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 07:45 AM »

I think he means Agile. It is not fragile at all. Mine has taken a beating with no priblems.  i second the zephyr!

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
Dobo

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 11:05 AM »

No dealers here got all my kites though the forum  Smiley I have been thinking hard about the Gemini's as i think that it's good deal and it will give me cover over most of the wind I also looked at the zephyr and then I think do I need three kites  for the same  makers or should i just buy one and then try different make on the next kite?? But then I think if I stay with the Gemini's maybe the will not be so much of a transformation  having to get  grips with the a new kite I don't know if I am thinking along the right lines I thought kiting was just about flying Lips sealed I hope am not making  to confusing for my  self ::)help me make it simple Cheesy
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 11:42 AM »

No dealers here got all my kites though the forum  Smiley I have been thinking hard about the Gemini's as i think that it's good deal and it will give me cover over most of the wind I also looked at the zephyr and then I think do I need three kites  for the same  makers or should i just buy one and then try different make on the next kite?? But then I think if I stay with the Gemini's maybe the will not be so much of a transformation  having to get  grips with the a new kite I don't know if I am thinking along the right lines I thought kiting was just about flying Lips sealed I hope am not making  to confusing for my  self ::)help me make it simple Cheesy

If the Gemini's keep you up at night, they are a good choice for you. Wink

Since you cannot try before you buy, any kite you buy is a risk for not fitting your style. The Gemini are more of a high end trick kite, but you still have your quantum and a hypnotist so you should be fine.

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 09:47 PM »

OK, I was encouraging you to support your local dealer since the Zephyr might've filled your needs. But you won't go wrong with a trio of Benson kites. Sounds like you're almost ready to "Pull the trigger" on them, if they are a good deal don't wait too long.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 12:07 AM »

I see you have two Prisms already, do you have a local dealer then for Prism Kites? If so you might consider a Prism Zephyr, it's not an SUL, more of a Light, but it'll fly in half the wind that your Quantum and Hypnotist will fly in and it isn't an extremely fragile kite.

Mikes right here I still fly my zephyr a lot.  Depending on your budget there are a few options that have become favorites for me.  HQ shadow is a good one but I've gotten to like the skyburner freestylist ul a lot.  IF you can step up some the widowmaker UL is a great light wind kite that will fly well down to 1-2 mph, Ocius ul is another good kite.  A lot depends on what you want to do as the more tricky a light wind kite gets the less reliable in the low 1-3 mph it gets.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum