GWTW Forum
November 27, 2014, 07:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prism E3 vs R-sky NSE  (Read 4946 times)
deadcandance
Trade Count: (0)

« on: March 19, 2013, 01:36 PM »

Hey mates...I`m about to buy a good kite for myself...Which one you would recommend? As I understand Prism is an american kite, R-sky is Europien kite?..
Why the price of Prism kites are half of price of R-sky kites?..

Thank you for the answers Smiley
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 01:41 PM by deadcandance » Logged

All I want is to be where you are
Charles P

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 01:50 PM »

Probably going to open a whole can of worms here but....... In my opinion, the reason the prisms are half the price of say a Nirvana or many other European kites for that matter is because they ARE half the kite that the others are!!
 Save your self some frustration and go for something like a Nirvana or Benson, or Sport Kite Designs.
 You will be happy you did.

In the bag,

Seven SUL, Deep Space UL, Seven Std., Deep Space Vented
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 01:57 PM »

First kite? or looking for a longer-term kite to grow with?

6 kite tom
deadcandance

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 02:00 PM »

First kite? or looking for a longer-term kite to grow with?

Not the first..I have chinesian one..But I want myself a good one...

tpatter

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 02:32 PM »

NSE then, you can fly it your whole life! 

6 kite tom
coop
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 02:37 PM »

Probably going to open a whole can of worms here but....... In my opinion, the reason the prisms are half the price of say a Nirvana or many other European kites for that matter is because they ARE half the kite that the others are!!
 Save your self some frustration and go for something like a Nirvana or Benson, or Sport Kite Designs.

While theres something to be said about the quality of a hand made Benson or SKD kite, I suspect the real issue may be value of the dollar compared to the Euro or British pound.
deadcandance

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 12:46 AM »

So answer me a question - Prism is an American kite or not?....
I`m worried if kites like R-sky or Prism are trully made in China....Or I`m wrong?

Hadge

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 02:59 AM »

+1

You'll be much better with something European. Check out the Kitehouse Sin - great kite, hand built and probably quite a bit cheaper the R-sky options. Wink

Prisms are decent enough kites but expensive for what they are in Europe.  In the UK an E3 is 140 and a Zephyr 160!

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 03:48 AM »

If the Prisms are significantly less than the European kites I wouldn't write them off. They're still decent kites if you're still pretty new to kites. The E3 is pretty popular and I'm sure Prism is concerned about the quality control done in China. It wouldn't be a bad kite to get started with. Down the road when you're looking for more, the boutique kite makers have definite appeal.

Before you decide to get a nice kite that will be a  long term kite, do some research on what the pluses and minuses of the kites you're interested in. www.kiteclique.com has some nice reviews. (although I like the Nirvanas, they don't give tricks away to me. The Benson Deep Space is a great kite I have a harder time doing rotational tricks - otherwise it's one of my favorites.) You can also post for a kite that you're looking for to see if there are any takers.

Bob D.
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 11:07 AM »

www.kiteclique.com has some nice reviews.

BTW what's wrong with this site?
When I click on the "Continue reading" or the images to see the reviews I get an un formatted illegible text...

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 12:13 PM »

Prism kites are produced in China - that being said, it must be noted that even though they are being outsourced overseas, the quality is not suffering.  Prism basically built the factory in China to produce their kites, giving them the instruction and quality control business model to be able to produce a kite that has the same or, in some cases, even better workmanship than what was possible when Prism was building all of their kites in house here in the U.S.A.  What was accomplished was the ability for Prism to now be able to meet the demands on their products and to be able to do so at an affordable price.  Before Prism began outsourcing their products to their Chinese factory, demands were not being met and there was many times when shops were having to wait weeks or even months to get products, and it was continually getting worse the more popular Prism kites became.

It would be totally unfair to classify Prism kites - or even some of the other brands such as HQ, Premier, Skydog, Flying Wings etc... as a cheap Chinese kite.  There is affordable mass-produced products that can be purchased from Prism and these other brands I listed - and then there are just cheap junky Chinese kites, usually knock-offs or some unheard of odd brand.

That being said...

Even though the E3 is a very nicely made kite that can do most if not all of the new school tricks, the NSE and other hand made boutique style kites usually raise the bar in quality and performance.  Boutique manufacturers such as R-Sky, Benson and even Skyburner (just to name a few) do things to their kites that are usually cost-prohibitive in mass production kites, but are some extremely nice features.  They also do much more extensive testing, tweaking the final products in ways that make them fly and trick better than mass production models.  Both of these kites will do axle's....but the NSE will do it smoother and cleaner with more forgiveness, that is what you are paying for and what justifies the increase in cost.  As much as I love Prism kites, I would go for the NSE over an E3.  Now NSE over Quantum Pro?  That would be a harder choice and colors would come into play. Smiley

As always...these opinions are my own and worth every bit that you paid for them.

Ca Ike

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 12:31 AM »

I'm a big prism guy since I started on prisms but I'll say the E3 is not a kite i would buy again.  If your looking at prism look more at the zephyr instead of the E3 or quantum pro since IMO they are much better kites than the E3.  That being said if your ready to step up to a top end kite then go for the NSE, or widowmaker, or solus, or Seven or .........any of the many great kites out there from the boutique makers.
Hadge

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 02:35 AM »

I'm a big prism guy since I started on prisms but I'll say the E3 is not a kite i would buy again.  If your looking at prism look more at the zephyr instead of the E3 or quantum pro since IMO they are much better kites than the E3.  That being said if your ready to step up to a top end kite then go for the NSE, or widowmaker, or solus, or Seven or .........any of the many great kites out there from the boutique makers.

The Zephyr is a nice kite, but the price over here puts something like the Zephyr very close to boutique kites.  I would have to pay 160 for one from our only UK stockist or I can get a Benson Deepspace or JoE Talon for around 200. For the extra 40 ($60) which would you buy, the nice but mass produced Zephyr or the hand built to your colour choice DS/Talon? It really is no contest.  A Q Pro is 250 which is well into R-Sky territory.  It's a pity that taxes and duties put the price up so much in Europe, there are lots of kite you guy's have over there I'd love to try but by the time they got here the cost would just be too much. Sad

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
coogee

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 04:50 AM »

NSE is the pick of the two kites.
 Mike
Kareloh
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 07:19 AM »

I would recommend to buy a second hand NSE or Nirvana (or something silimiar) for the price of a new E3. If you're still learning it's likely you'll break a rod and punch the sail (which is a easy fix). With a second hand it's not so painful. You'll be less cautious and learn quicker with a used kite and most of the times kites get better with age (IMHO).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum