GWTW Forum
November 28, 2014, 10:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Consensus on "good" kites?  (Read 3456 times)
jwwilson
Trade Count: (0)

« on: March 20, 2013, 10:25 PM »

Hi all.

I'm working on a page on my website where I want to list solid ("good") kites that I can recommend to people that visit, and so far I have 3 "casual" category kites picked out and live on the site, but I am having trouble deciding on the proper ratings for each of the kite attributes I chose. Also, I'm not sure if these 3 are good enough. I plan on expanding to two more categories: "Stunt Kites" and "Wacky Kites". So I have a few questions that I hope you all can help me with:

• Does anyone know of any reputable kite review websites?
  • Is there a community consensus on solid kite brands or specific kite builds?
  • ok...only two questions I guess!

For those that want to check out what I have so far, see: http://www.caniflymykite.com/kites
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 11:16 AM by Steve » Logged
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 10:47 PM »

That is pretty general. I may like one kite in 4mph winds but another in 10mph. I may like a kite because it can do this, this and this but a different kite because it can do that, that and that. But that is just me. Someone else might not like those kites at all.

I think if there were a consensus that of any kind that we'd only see a handful of kites on the market.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 11:51 PM »

Yea thats going to be a tough call.  THere are lots of good kites out there but peoples styles and taste varies so the opinions will too.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 04:16 AM »

you would have to search out this forum and The Other Place™ and then you might have every single sport kite out there made marked as a favorite for at least one person in one type of wind condition or flying area.....(yes i have preferences of kites in certain locations too...i HATE SAND!)

Every once a couple of years there is someone that tries to do this....usually creates a thread on the forum that is many pages long with some sever distractions and anger......

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
jwwilson

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 07:33 AM »

Thanks! I definitely understand that there are a ton of different kites and opinions out there, so I'm not looking for the best kites - that is a very personal and opinionated thing as you all mentioned. What I want to do is give suggestions of kites that basically aren't crap (good to great quality) for people that are new to kites and give them some information to make a decision.

There are so many options out there - maybe ultimately narrowing it down to just a few good options of each type ("I want a funny kite! | I want one for my kid! | I want to try a stunt kite!") can help people decide and get into it.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 07:58 AM »

I think he's looking for some basic information on "Reliable" stunt kites at the entry level for those just interested, we've all seen inexpensive kites that just don't fly. If so ....

I still give a thumbs up to the Prism Quantum, not too scary of a price for a first time buy, comes complete and ready to fly with Prisms always fine bag & a decent line set and straps. The kite has good drive, medium pull and presence on the lines and excellent speed control maintaining an even speed throughout the wind window. All features needed by a first time flyer to be sucessful and have fun that first day. Plus it will do the first "Tricks" a new flyer should start with. For a first kite it is still my 1st recommendation.

For a step up in price and abilities I point people to Premier for the Widow, very similar characteristics to the $300 Skyburner Widowmaker it's based off of, the differences being it's sewn in a factory setting using less expensive Nylon fabrics rather then Poly and equal performance but less expensive spars. Again it comes ready to fly with a nice bag and decent lines & straps.

For a smaller, faster and fun kite that will handle high winds well the Premier Wolf gets my nod, again it comes ready to fly, nice bag & lines.

For a high end, hand built kites I think Jon T has some great offerings in his Skyburner line at reasonable prices, The Freestylist still comes out of my bag and at $160 for a handbuilt it's a steal, the Ocius line at $215 are very capable kites in the right hands and at $215 they appear to be a bargain.

When you get into and above the $300 range flyers are going to have higher expectations and most likely higher abilities and preferences, there are no "bad" kites in this range, only different kites.

There are tons of kites I have not flown personally so I'm sure there are others as good, better or different. ITW has some very interesting sport kite options but I've not flown any of them personally. The ones I've mentioned are all in my bag every day except the Ocius and I have no reservations about recommending them to new people to the sport.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 08:27 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 08:43 AM »

I love sand

have fun kurt
John Welden

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 04:31 PM »

I'm bias, but it's really hard to go wrong with Prism. Any of there entry level gear is going to give people a good experience. They sell nine zillion kites for a reason.
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 06:41 PM »

I see your are looking for the casual flyer. None of those here. We are all hard core.

I would have three dual lines on your site.

The Beetle by Flying Wings has been at the top in the entry level kite for more than a decade. BUT small kites are hard to fly. They need more wind and quick and have little feedback through the lines making them hard for a newbie to fly.

The Prism Quantum would be the high end kite. It is durable, build to last even for beginners and is much easier to fly because of its size.

Last I would add a foil like the Symphony 1.4 or Prism Snapshot 1.4. Without spars it is unbreakable and has a high upper wind range. Negitive is sometimes can be difficult to launch.

goestoeleven
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 08:02 PM »

. . . .  someone that tries to do this....usually creates a thread on the forum that is many pages long with some sever distractions and anger......

<gets popcorn> . . . this should be a fun thread to watch . . .  Grin

(Actually hoping it will not end up as an "angry" thread)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 08:04 PM by goestoeleven » Logged
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 08:14 PM »

Any benson, any joe, any aerostar, any blue moon,

Sine Metu!
jwwilson

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 09:48 PM »

Wow thanks for the feedback everyone. I worked a lot tonight on getting information gathered, sorted, and coded. It's tough picking the top 3 stunt kites to recommend! Hopefully I will have the stunt category and more on the page early this week.

For those curious, here is the spreadsheet I am using to keep track of the kites:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Agb3h78JkdG_dEpPRXk5MUp0b3prLU1NTWVXOGlfaEE&single=true&gid=0&output=html

Anymore feedback is greatly appreciated!
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 11:59 PM »

I don't quite get your choice of categories.  YOu should really stick to the common accepted ones.  I.E. foil , stunt quad line stunt, ETC.  IF you start adding your own categories you wil end up confusing people.
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 12:49 AM »

I don't quite get your choice of categories.  YOu should really stick to the common accepted ones.  I.E. foil , stunt quad line stunt, ETC.  IF you start adding your own categories you wil end up confusing people.

agreed  Smiley
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 05:01 AM »

what does the Rating mean? Low to high? high to low?
Difficulty - what is based on?
I agree that categories is an issue as it is to me as well..

I think one thing is that you cannot really have a meaningful comparison in there with single line kites and sport kites....a single line delta is going to pull a lot more than a small dual line...and in a very different manner.....
i would suggest a single line chart and a sport kite chart....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum