GWTW Forum
April 17, 2014, 06:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Skyshark Competition Tubes Ring Colors  (Read 838 times)
Lou
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: March 22, 2013, 03:35 PM »

I'm interested in trying to understand the ring color coding.  I found this link that helped me find some of the colors. http://www.nic.fi/~sos/spars/spars98.htm
Can anyone confirm the 2P, 3P, and the Blue Ring.

2P = Brown Ring
3P = Purple Ring
5P = White Ring
7P = Green Ring

Blue Ring = ?

These were just recently pulled out of the leading edges of a Nuclear Reactor Team Kite manufactured in Oct 1995. Comparison to a 5P I have and these are definitely meeting 5P specs.

5P specs:
32.5" in.
.245 I.D.
.285 in. O.D.
.305 in. O.D. (last 2in of each end)
0.520 oz.

Blue Ring Specs
32.5" in.
.245 I.D.
.283 in. O.D.
.305 in. OD (last 2in of each end)
0.530 oz.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 07:33 AM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 03:42 PM »

You are correct on the 2P and 3P, not sure I've ever seen a sky shark rod with blue tape on it though

Steve
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 04:11 PM »

Yeah, those are correct colors for 2, 3,5 &7, though the 2Ps were made for years and years after the others were gone, and the newer ones don't have any color band, they have a painted logo like other skysharks.

Email or call Jon at Skyshark and he'll tell you what the blue means. Let us know, I'm curious!

Allen, AKA kitehead
Lou

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 04:20 PM »

Yeah, those are correct colors for 2, 3,5 &7, though the 2Ps were made for years and years after the others were gone, and the newer ones don't have any color band, they have a painted logo like other skysharks.

Email or call Jon at Skyshark and he'll tell you what the blue means. Let us know, I'm curious!

Email sent to Jon as they were closed when I called! Smiley
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 08:48 PM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
Lou

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 09:20 AM »

Email sent to Jon as they were closed when I called! Smiley

Here was the email:

Hi,

I was referred to speak with Jon, by forum members on GWTWforum.com, to ask a question about a 1995 Spectra Sport Kites Nuclear Reactor Team UpRoar Kite that has a set of blue ringed tubes used in the leading edges only.  The rest is framed in 7P as usual.  They also have the white painted (Skyshark) logo on the tubes but due to age the "P" rating cannot be determined.  Can you help us understand what the blue tape ring designates these tubes as please?  Thanks!

Regards,

Lou

Response:

Lou,

I am not sure what they for. My guess is that it was to identify them as being made for that kite, for replacement purposes . At that time the owner was making tubes for a lot of different mfg’s and he most likely had to have a way to tell one set from another. Weight verse length and type. Hope this helps. 

Jon
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 09:27 AM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 09:42 AM »

Weigh and flex test compared to known rods and you'll get a pretty good idea if they are 5P, 7P or something else. I would assume they are 5P, but there were teams having custom sticks made back in those days.

A lot of the older Skysharks didn't have the painted logo, hence the color band (and matching ferrule) scheme. These may be aftermarket replacements.

Allen, AKA kitehead
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 10:16 AM »

These rods came out of a set of comp kites that was not flown much...i would imagine that when i broke the LE down to ship it to Spectra Sports that was the first time that had ever happened...i doubt it was flown enough to need a new rod with knowing who was flying it...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Lou

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 10:29 AM »

Weigh and flex test compared to known rods and you'll get a pretty good idea if they are 5P, 7P or something else. I would assume they are 5P, but there were teams having custom sticks made back in those days.

A lot of the older Skysharks didn't have the painted logo, hence the color band (and matching ferrule) scheme. These may be aftermarket replacements.

Yes, these tubes only have the painted logos on the lower LE tubes.  The upper LE tubes have no logos but all tubes have the blue tape rings.  The 7P spine and lower spreaders are all painted logos and all tubes have green tape rings.

These rods came out of a set of comp kites that was not flown much...i would imagine that when i broke the LE down to ship it to Spectra Sports that was the first time that had ever happened...i doubt it was flown enough to need a new rod with knowing who was flying it...

Yes, there is no doubt this kite was not flown much at all.  All the original taped points were in place and the original connectors were actually there also... all rotted Smiley but there none-the-less to let me know this frame was built to these specs and not altered after production.

The kite also had a marking on the reinforcement patch at the center T area... not sure what "B" stands for.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 11:50 AM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
Lou

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 08:56 PM »

The blue ring LE tubes were weighed and came in .3 grams lighter than my white ring 5P LE tubes. Also, the upper spreader came in .9 grams lighter than the 5P upper spreader I have.  I was able to see that there was lesser an amount of extra wrapped, reinforced ends on the blue ring upper spreader and  LE tubes compared to the 5Ps which seems to attribute to the slight reduction in weight. 

The 3P is smaller in diameter and lesser in weight.  The 7P is larger in diameter and greater in weight.  I'll stay with the classification that these blue ring Sky Shark P tubes are special ordered 5P for team purpose.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 09:02 PM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 05:24 AM »

B stands for Beth....Beth Bowen of the team. The other one has A for Art....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Lou

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 07:45 AM »

B stands for Beth....Beth Bowen of the team. The other one has A for Art....

What! You sold me a girls kite... I want an exchange!!!   Cheesy

That's absolutely incredible that almost 20 years later and almost 1000 miles away I would end up owning a kite from one of the two people I now remember reading articles about in the local newspaper.  I didn't know it then but that's incredible.  I used to live 2 minutes away from UMASS Dartmouth.  Actually graduated from UMASSD in 1994.  I remember the kite festivals they would have annually and there was an article written up in the Standard Times.  I never knew it was about Beth and Art!

Take a look....

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19950619/NEWS/306199993&cid=sitesearch
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography