GWTW Forum
November 26, 2014, 03:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quality problems with Asian made kites  (Read 6768 times)
Spz0
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 01:43 PM »

Funny mentioning the Dot zero theory.

When the Widow was first released, they had some manufacturing issues.
The bridle wasn't pre-stretched, and they had put these 1/2" inserts in the upper LE APA fittings that bowed the upper LE, causing massive oversteer.
Im pretty sure thats not the case now, but I happened to get a first edition, so I had to bust out the inserts and re-bridle the Widow.
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2009, 03:02 PM »

this is a demo exile so it's got to be pretty low in the first build the kite is in better cond. than any others i own except an older lam that is in the same shape near perfect                                                                                                                                 

have fun kurt
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 07:50 AM »

You get what you paid for. Cheap kites usually using cheaper materials that doesn't last long.

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2009, 08:01 AM »

You get what you paid for.

If only that were true.  Sad
I've owned several French made kites that were high dollar kites. The build quality on them was no better than the cheap Chinese kites. Of course that's a lot higher build quality than Revolution kites ever produced. And they aren't inexpensive either, considering what you get.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
rxburner
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 08:30 AM »

I think it is time to lock this thread. It started out nasty, and has gotten worse. People are slamming some real nice kites, just because they don't know how to fly, and beat the crap out of them.
Rx
DWayne

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 10:45 AM »

^^^^  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy ^^^^  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy ^^^^

gwm
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 02:25 PM »

This post was intended to be informative about real quality issues.
 If the telling the truth about getting what you're paying for in the lower end of the market is nasty and should be locked down, then what are these discussions for?
 On the positive side I've had good experiences with HQ Kites with moderate prices. I'm not sure where they're made now.
 Rx has added nothing to this discussion and only takes up a contrary position just to be contrary.
Ace

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 08:13 PM »

RX does have a point though!!
It all depends on how you use the Kite. Not alot of kites even the hand made ones can withstand hours and hours of wraps and constant tricking.
My first Kite (Prism Quantum) still looks way better than my E2 even though the Quantum has had more flight time. There is no difference in quality of the two kites, just that one (Quantum) has never been wrapped or even tricked to any extent. Yet the E2 has been my trainer and has been wrapped in spectra and thrashed as I have learnd. The trailing edge now looks a little worse for wear and there a bit of sail stretch, wear etc.

I fail to see how any kite that actually gets flown alot and tricked constantly can still look descent after only months let alone years.

I suspect that kites that are years old and still look great probably don't get flown much, and if they do they probably dont get tricked much.

Quality issues exist in all manufacturing, for me its all about customer service. If the company that makes the kite stands by their product then no quality issue should be to big of a problem for any Pilot.

Moral of the story buy from a reputable company.

My 2 cents anyway.....

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
DWayne

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 08:43 PM »

RX does have a point though!!
It all depends on how you use the Kite. Not alot of kites even the hand made ones can withstand hours and hours of wraps and constant tricking.

Oh really?
My Widow Maker has over 600 hrs on it. Its been wrapped countless (thousands?) times. Done hundreds and hundreds of back spins, lazies, and wap-do-waps.  And it still looks better than some other brands I've owned after only a few hours of flying.
I've got over 200 hrs. on my Talon now and it still looks almost new.

Denny

Ace

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2009, 09:33 PM »

Hey DWayne
Thanks for that! The WM sounds like a damn good Kite. I haven't had the pleasure yet.
I guess my initial comments were a little hasty. Pilot skill is something I didn't mention. I guess the better you are the better you can look after a kite during a trick. You seem to be way ahead of me and if I could get 600 hrs out of a kite with little to no damage I would be Very Happy.
I did say that "not alot" of kites can withstand that. Obviously there are some exceptional kites out there. The WM and Talon being two. and hopefully my DS when I get good enough to take full advatage of it.
I guess the point I was trying to make was that the more you trick a kite or throw it about as a beginner, as supposed to just fly it (as some people do) the more it's going to wear out.
I am still learning and I've had about 150 hrs on my E2 in just over 4 months, its been wrapped dragged, dead launched, smashed and dived into the ground countless times. It doesn't look new nor is it trashed though.

I think thats an acceptable amount of wear and tear given what I've done to it.
Cheers Wink

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
steve.hobart
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2009, 09:40 PM »

I think it's still dissapointing when you get a new kite out of the package for the first time unflown and the ferrules are loose and fall out and the c-clips are not tight and move easily............ Sad

On the other hand I don't mind admitting that I have caused a few breakages in my time that have not reflected at all on the manufacturer!!

cheers

steve
Spz0
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2009, 09:44 PM »

I think it's still dissapointing when you get a new kite out of the package for the first time unflown and the ferrules are loose and fall out and the c-clips are not tight and move easily............ Sad

In reference to overseas factory kites, I would think that when they get shipped in ocean containers, that there is quite a bit of temperature fluctuations during transit.  That, in combination with weaker glue and I could see that happening.  Happened to me.   Only I had about 60hours of flight time on mine.
All in all I don't mind minor flaws, if you are going to save a few bucks.  Something goes wrong?  Meh...  you get a little project to do, and become more familiar with your kite and its workings.

DWayne

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2009, 10:28 PM »

Thanks for the generosity Ace but I'm sure its more a reflection of the build quality of those kites than it is a reflection of my flying skills.  Wink

Denny

tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2009, 10:58 PM »

I would not discount flying skills, or at least the willingness to put the kite in harms way in order to try and save what is probably a trick attempt gone bad. 

I have lots of friends who fly kites and I've noticed that some of them never seem to break their kites while others are breaking them all the time - independent of skill.  Some guys just hold nothing back and push things past their limits.

You do this enough and lots of things are going to break and get ripped, no matter who made them.

I 100% agree that the artisan made kites are by far the best available and generally wear like iron, but I also think that the Silver Fox 2.5 is one reasonably well made and durable kite (probably one of the best trick kite values out there).  My primary fault with it is the C-clips coming loose and thats easy to fix (I would think it would be easy for Flying Wings to fix as well!).

« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 11:17 PM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2009, 11:54 PM »

I think it is time to lock this thread.

As the mod. of this section I'm not inclined to agree.... yet. This opinion is open to change.

Of the Chinese made kites I've had the New Tech's were pretty roughly finished and the Prism's, whilst OK, lacked the sort of flair and attention to detail that is part of the joy of ownership of the boutique kites. Similarly every Level One kite I've owned (and there have been a few) has needed stoppers regluing out of the bag so it's not something limited to China. Everyone uses the same materials (or close analogues) so it's really down to details, finishing and consistency.

There have been issues with some of the smaller kitemakers on occasion and it's fair to mention them but not to condemn their whole range because of one rogue kite. The very best kitemakers (and I shamelessly refer you here again) don't merely produce excellent kites, they always produce excellent kites.

Honestly, I'd buy a Chinese kite if I could look it over first. I'll buy from one of the top kitemakers sight unseen.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum