GWTW Forum
July 22, 2014, 08:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Top Ten Places to Fly a Kite  (Read 1851 times)
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« on: March 23, 2013, 04:02 PM »

Is your favorite kite field/beach here?
Mine is!
http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/2007467
John Welden
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 04:25 PM »

Long Beach is great.

Didn't know JB was president of the AKA.  That's great. Has there ever been a more hard core kite nut than JB?
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 05:58 PM »

Ahhh...that is a rigged article.....Newport Rhode Island was on that same list for many years.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
dayhiker

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 06:10 PM »

I was indeed fortunate that my first sport kite was from the Kill Devil Hills shop way back.  First flight with "3/4 sail" Premier Aerosport was in high winds of the Outer Banks.  Tried several times to launch but crashed.  My young wife finally got the kite in the air & gave me the handles after being dragged a bit.  We did not know we should not have attempted to learn in 20 plus winds.  What a day to remember, scudding in the soft sands.  That kite was tough, & needed to be.  I knew that was a great place & now it's confirmed.

"Well him & my uncle tore that engine down
 I still remember that rumblin' sound"   Steve Earle

AKA member
Wayner
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 06:17 PM »

Never flown at any of those locations

Love the wide open beach next to the ocean.  Cool

How could I give up flying on a small field covered with goal post and surrounded by trees and houses.  Huh

Charles P

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 10:08 PM »

Long Beach, WA. Great place to fly, might have qualified as my favorite if it was not such a long drive for me, but it is definetely worth it to go a couple times a year!

In the bag,

Seven SUL, Deep Space UL, Seven Std., Deep Space Vented
kiteman
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 10:26 AM »

Long Beach WA. is awesome!!

Don
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 10:37 AM »

You guys are lucky. I wish I could have anyplace with beach smooth winds.
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 03:47 AM »

My favorite place is Liberty State Park, on the water in Jersey City, NJ. The wind is perfect when it comes off the water from the south east through the Verazanno Narrows. It's a huge grassy field with very little obstructions. Before we moved, I would drive an hour and a half to get there.

I took my wife and kids to Ocean City, MD one year when they had spring break. Our place was a condo at something like 110th street. The beach was about 50' wide and the huge condo buildings were right next to each other and really messed with the wind so that it was hard to fly. For that reason, I didn't really care for the area. The day we went down by the Kite Loft the weather was rainy and cool. It's certainly not a convenient place to fly.

Bob D.
red sweater

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 08:02 AM »

My favorite place is Liberty State Park, on the water in Jersey City, NJ. The wind is perfect when it comes off the water from the south east through the Verazanno Narrows. It's a huge grassy field with very little obstructions. Before we moved, I would drive an hour and a half to get there.

I took my wife and kids to Ocean City, MD one year when they had spring break. Our place was a condo at something like 110th street. The beach was about 50' wide and the huge condo buildings were right next to each other and really messed with the wind so that it was hard to fly. For that reason, I didn't really care for the area. The day we went down by the Kite Loft the weather was rainy and cool. It's certainly not a convenient place to fly.

I've only been to Ocean City once, even though it's in state for me. But my understanding was that most tourists (or at least the day-trippers) stick to the south beach. That's where all the parking is. It's also where the Kite Loft is. The beachfront gets progressively narrower the farther north you are. I'm not surprised you had little beach space that far up. There is a lot of sand to be had farther down.

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 04:26 AM »

For vacation and convenience to a nice beach I like Ocean City, NJ. The beach is easily walkable from almost any place you stay and it's nice and wide. The only down-side is that it gets crowded during the day. Everyone leaves towards dinner time so it gets pretty flyable again.

Bob D.
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 05:11 AM »

No mention of THE best flying field in the USA... (just ask DG or Ray Bethell)

Asan Beach Park

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 06:43 AM »

I think that one important fact that is overlooked about beach flying is the difference between on onshore and offshore breeze. If you're trying to fly in an offshore breeze, it's just as bad as flying inland. That's made even worse when you have large buildings on the beach, like in Ocean City, MD.

rtennant

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 09:21 AM »

Any place on Michigans beautiful Lake Michigan coast will do. Still a little chilly at the moment though.
mikeb
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 05:52 AM »

I looked up some of these places on the bing map, and didn't realize until then how small the areas where, Ocean City Md from the water to already on the bridge isn't as wide as my property, but I spend more money in gas for the lawn mowers than I do for my vehicles.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document