GWTW Forum
April 24, 2014, 09:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost my beach...  (Read 661 times)
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« on: March 23, 2013, 10:27 PM »

Since the last hurricane, my flying spot has gotten a lot smaller. When the kite bag starts floating away, that's how you know it's time to go home...   Cheesy

NarrowBeach

If it weren't for the lack of space to move around (and the still half buried trees sticking out of the sand)... it's a great spot to fly...  Cool

Teaser

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 12:59 AM »

What happened?  I though your beach doubled with all  the new sand carried in?
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 05:23 AM »

Yeah...most of plum island up here should have washed somewhere...
Wink

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
RobB

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 05:24 AM »

Yeah, that's the strange thing. At low tide, it's much wider, but there's the tradeoff... there used to be enough dry sand to fly on at high tide. The storm totally re-sculpted the shape of the land where it meets the water.  This will be nice when it gets warm, flying in ankle-knee deep water, and I think it's going to keep people from setting up blankets and laying in the way. Maybe it's a good thing !

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 10:22 AM »

Ah it flattened it out so the tide shift is more pronounced.
RobB

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 06:19 PM »

Yes, it was pretty convenient. The storms took away a lot of the large stones, and left some nice, soft sand in their place. It sucks at high tide, but anything below mid-tide is such a treat ! I've been throwing the buried trees (the ones I can yank out of the sand) on the back side of the dune (helps to build it up again). There are so many, it's going to take me a year to rid the beach of all of those sail hazards !

WideBeach

vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 09:41 AM »

This scene is along a road called Lake Shore Drive.  Ford's,Dodge's,all have mansions on this street.  Even "Soupy Sales" use to have a large home.  As a kid we'd ride our bikes down here and fish.  Cops would chance us away.  We'd leave and come back.  The movie "Grand Torino" starring Clint Eastwood.  The last scene was shot with the Tower of the Yacht Club in the background.

It is scary how much water has been lost in Lake St. Clair.  It is a major Lake connecting Detroit River to Lake Erie to Lake Huron.  Major shipping...

The water level is Dangerously low.  You can see the sea wall in the mark of rust that is visible...

The Beach is worse.  If that's possible.  I have never seen the ground or tall Cat tails growing in the pictures.  That is in the past two years... For people in this area to see that is shocking.

Two summers ago I dipped my Kite in the water.  I was on 100' lines. When I crashed in the water I went to get it.  Water was up to my knees.  When I dipped the kite I'd go down to top speader.  Last summer when I dipped it went in about 4 inches...

It is a serious problem for 1000 of boaters who live in homes on cannels... They are bone dry...

Lake St.Clair in trouble

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography