GWTW Forum
November 20, 2014, 08:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Withdrawn  (Read 4766 times)
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 05:31 PM »

I am all in if the weather would just cooperate... Knee is feeling better.  BUt still not 100%... gonna be careful a little longer...  Cry Cry Cry  But I am in for anything.  Got to finish my AVFFF .. I have serious Fade anxiety to get over.  Then next...  

Got things moving Norm....

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 08:12 PM »

No definition of who can enter? There are a lot of people out there who might think they are under-skilled or over-skilled to participate.

agreed.
 my challenge would not only doing a trick but getting it on film Cheesy
So, you've been a member since March 3, 2009 and you are saying it would be a challenge for you to do a trick? Your trade count is 15+. Why haven't you joined any of the "trick challenges" ? If you still consider yourself a true Beginner, then by all means JOIN the challenges, because you are welcome. If you haven't already noticed this isn't an exclusive bunch.  Wink

Hey Norm I was on the 'old' forum too. A beginner? no, but the challenge of having the weather to film in, the time to film it and getting it in frame is challenge enough for me.
The looxcie does look promising though. It will bluetooth stream to my phone which may have some application for a kap rig.

Just wanted to point out that even some of the better fliers may want to try the challenge just for the fun of it if not for the prize.

Sine Metu!
DD

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 08:14 PM »

my challenge would not only doing a trick but getting it on film Cheesy

Over HERE

you posted this:
http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/review-looxcie-2-personal-video-recorder-2011113/
So, I would think you know how to get it on film. Unless you have recently divorced have your
same wife that wrapped your Christmas present video your trick challenge.  Wink

in this cold? only if she could video tape from the car Cheesy

Sine Metu!
trigger
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 08:51 PM »

Oh.... i owe my wife infinite kudos for the crazy filming she has done for me lately....  20 degrees 10mph winds 2am!  Unfortunately its for another project... but this weekend its back to the Fade! Winds have been very stormy last couple weeks.. not good for tricks... no straps but gonna keep tryin

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2013, 11:05 PM »

ARE YOU IN THIS CHALLENGE WHEN IT GETS POSTED???

Even though I don't qualify for a set of Norm's straps, I can't wait.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 10:13 PM by Wayner » Logged
red sweater

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2013, 06:18 AM »

The looxcie does look promising though. It will bluetooth stream to my phone which may have some application for a kap rig.

Derailing a fair bit here, but Bluetooth ranges are very low.
From bluair.pl:
Among different bluetooth specifications, there are 2 most popular classes (types) of devices:

Class 1: range up to 100 meters (in most cases 20-30 meters)
    Class 2: range up to 30 meters (in most cases 5-10 meters)

With a class 1, you might be able to do kap on a stunt kite. You might have to place you phone on the ground directly under it, though. Looxcie is listed as class 2.

I like the idea of the Looxcie, but I'm still a feature phone luddite, so it's not for me. I'll probably have to use our point and shoot camera. I'm sure my wife would be willing to record for me, but we have a little one she needs to watch when I'm otherwise occupied, and another on the way this year. I may just use a tripod, as much as I am loathe to do so. Or get Rob to film for me at Wildwood, if I haven't done it by then. (I'm seriously thinking about going. It seems a little odd to me to plan a vacation around kite flying. I think I'm still a little closeted about this hobby. But I know it would be a lot of fun.)

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2013, 06:33 AM »

I've never had a camera-person, but seem to be able to get plenty of video. Yes, trying to fly in an imaginary rectangle is more difficult than free-flying, but not impossible. Just like Norm's trick challenges force us to fly better, flying for the tripod will force you to fly with more control.

RobB

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2013, 07:06 AM »

I've never had a camera-person, but seem to be able to get plenty of video. Yes, trying to fly in an imaginary rectangle is more difficult than free-flying, but not impossible. Just like Norm's trick challenges force us to fly better, flying for the tripod will force you to fly with more control.
Thanks Rob

in this cold? only if she could video tape from the car Cheesy
I have watched quite a few of Rob's videos (with him in frame).
I have watched a video from Ara (Beginner) in frame.
I have watched videos from Joe (Beginner) in frame (when he wants to be).
Time is critical, but Rob has 4 kids, a wife and a job (I think 4) to take care of.
Weather can be a problem. I won't post the next challenge until 1st part of May.
If you can already do the trick you can always excuse yourself from the strap gift.

I WILL NOT  be that critical about being in frame.   
Only 3 kids, I am the fourth kid. My poor wife !    Cheesy

RobB

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2013, 08:57 AM »

Cheesy

Tie them to sand anchors !  Cheesy
My wife probably would like to tie me to a sand anchor.  Roll Eyes
I never thought of that ! I wonder how long it would be before CPS showed up...

tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2013, 09:31 AM »

Cheesy

Tie them to sand anchors !  Cheesy
My wife probably would like to tie me to a sand anchor.  Roll Eyes
I never thought of that ! I wonder how long it would be before CPS showed up...

I've found 2 ways to make it work well.  Either
1) use short lines
or
2) move the camera far away.

I prefer the first one since it makes it easier to see kite detail, but the second makes it all easier and is more reliable.   The downside is that, if the kite is too far away, its hard to see what is going on.

6 kite tom
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2013, 03:33 PM »

I've found 2 ways to make it work well.  Either
1) use short lines
or
2) move the camera far away.

I prefer the first one since it makes it easier to see kite detail, but the second makes it all easier and is more reliable.   The downside is that, if the kite is too far away, its hard to see what is going on.

The second is really tempting...    ...for thieves!
Not advisable in some of our local fly areas...
Fortunately my mobile phone camera has a really wide angle.
That's option number 3.   Wink

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
trigger

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2013, 09:09 PM »

hmmmm,, some really good ideas in the last couple posts....

winds have been great the last couple days, but just lost the water heater yesterday so I am hoping to get that done tomorrow or friday. then IT"S ON!  i figure the local plumbing outfit gave us a quote for $1600 for a water heater...

so... if I do my math right... water heater $300+tools and pipe $100....  that leaves the FLAG REV and a B-PRO  or  Everything I want from SKYBURNER!
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2013, 09:24 PM »

hmmmm,, some really good ideas in the last couple posts....

winds have been great the last couple days, but just lost the water heater yesterday so I am hoping to get that done tomorrow or friday. then IT"S ON!  i figure the local plumbing outfit gave us a quote for $1600 for a water heater...

so... if I do my math right... water heater $300+tools and pipe $100....  that leaves the FLAG REV and a B-PRO  or  Everything I want from SKYBURNER!

A man who has his priorities right
whitebirdlover
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2013, 09:17 PM »

Dang, I'm for sure a beginner... And, I recently picked an "old school" UL. So, looks like I have to give it go, whatever the challenge may be  Wink

Anthony
DD

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2013, 08:09 AM »

if nothing else its an interesting read for all members
By the way, what does this mean?  Angry
Even the more experienced fliers may enjoy reading about new fliers learning and may pick up a few pointers.
Plus reading about any flying beats watching it snow:D

Sine Metu!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum