GWTW Forum
October 26, 2014, 01:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 3670 times)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 12:47 PM »

Oh look, an Apple store.

I switched some years ago - Windows is nearly unbearable to me now, but my company has some software that we've written for it, so I occasionally have to use it. 

Heck, if not for having to do software dev, I don't need anything other than my iPad at this point.  It does everything I need including word processing.

6 kite tom
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 12:58 PM »

Oh look, an Apple store.

I switched some years ago - Windows is nearly unbearable to me now, but my company has some software that we've written for it, so I occasionally have to use it. 

Heck, if not for having to do software dev, I don't need anything other than my iPad at this point.  It does everything I need including word processing.

My son designs network systems and even he has switched to Mac for personal use.  Crazy.

skb..... I liked your cartoon. Shoulda kept it in here. Have to agree, expensive for sure. And way too proprietary.

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+82)

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 01:03 PM »

Windows 95 man, keep it old school.. Wink  or I think I still have Windows 3.11 & MS-DOS 5.0 on floppy discs if you want to get really ancient.  Cheesy  Ah, those were the days.

-Mike
madhabitz

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 01:04 PM »

Windows 95 man, keep it old school.. Wink  or I think I still have Windows 3.11 & MS-DOS 5.0 on floppy discs if you want to get really ancient.  Cheesy  Ah, those were the days.

-Mike

heh....

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2013, 01:36 PM »

Thanks for this Rob, looks promising. I couldn't get any hits for "XP downgrade" on the HP site. Will calling them do the trick?

Didn't mention if you were on a desktop or laptop.

Not on the HP site proper, but in there support forums:

General XP Downgrade Guide for HP Laptops 

I expect there is a thread for desktops too.  Over 750K views on the laptop thread.

Elsewhere...
Microsoft extends Windows XP downgrade rights until 2020   Huh  That should say something right there.

Windows XP Downgrade rights: a clarification

ATB,
Sam
madhabitz

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2013, 01:58 PM »

Thanks for this Rob, looks promising. I couldn't get any hits for "XP downgrade" on the HP site. Will calling them do the trick?

Didn't mention if you were on a desktop or laptop.

Not on the HP site proper, but in there support forums:

General XP Downgrade Guide for HP Laptops 

I expect there is a thread for desktops too.  Over 750K views on the laptop thread.

Elsewhere...
Microsoft extends Windows XP downgrade rights until 2020   Huh  That should say something right there.

Windows XP Downgrade rights: a clarification

ATB,
Sam

Doesn't matter. Right now I would take either a laptop or a desktop when I go to buy something new. Would rather just get one of those dealies Rob was talking about though.

Thanks Sam!

RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2013, 02:32 PM »

We order PCs from the HP 'business' website. I think you'll find what you're looking for in the customizations screens. The XP downgrade may be custom order, now, but we are still able to get them for certain applications. I've gotten laptops with XP on them as recently as 2 months ago.
My customers are mostly car dealerships, and the technicians that work on your cars use laptops to diagnose the car, and most of their software won't run on Vista, Win7 (32bit or 64), or Win8. So... I've gotten Panasonic Toughbooks & HP laptops with XP on them. You may have to talk to the sales reps vs. finding it online, though. I know you can still order Win7 online with the Win8 'upgrade' disk. As far as 'bang-for-your-buck' durability, you can't beat HP.

Oh look, an Apple store.
Cheesy
Too bad Apples aren't business compatible...   Sad

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2013, 03:33 PM »

I've finally got the perfect system for what I do for a living. It's a quad processor laptop with 16GB RAM and very fast solid state storage. At any given time it's running 3 or 4 of the following OS at once:

Windows XP
Windows 7
Windows Server 2008
Windows Server 2012
Windows 8

Ubuntu Linux
RedHat Linux
Suse Linux

And of course, Mac OS X

It's really, really nice to be platform agnostic. I'm spoiled.

But back to the original post,

Windows 8's learning curve is generally manageable for a seasoned Windows 7 user who can put a good 20 hours into getting up to speed, but for the millions who still have XP, it's like hitting a brick wall. I feel your pain.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2013, 03:42 PM »

Oh yes, my point...

In the not too distant future, OS upgrade & downgrade hassles will be much more manageable for the average Joe due to virtualization.

Allen, AKA kitehead
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2013, 05:49 PM »

-Mike

""I Don't Need No Stinking Icons,"" I used DOS to configure windows , long before there was a cmd/window

They forced me to get a Mouse, then a computer that I have to carry with me every time I travel, Whats next,

a thin piece of glass that I use with my fingers?Huh

Hell, I got one of those phones that is supposed work with fingers, I cant answer it in time, cant find numbers, enters the wrong digits... sometime I think it would be faster to locate a payphone.

I did purchase a new HP just before the new year... it has Win8... I have it connected to the big tv, my wife and I watch HD movies that I downloaded from my Vista laptop

I like Apples too, they are great machines!!!! 

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

madhabitz

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2013, 09:28 AM »

In the not too distant future, OS upgrade & downgrade hassles will be much more manageable for the average Joe due to virtualization.
That's the thing.  I already gave the 20+ hours and my programs. I don't want to do it again. I already spent years and years keeping up with the latest/greatest. I don't have that kind of time anymore, nor the dollars. More than that, I hate being forced. Yeah.... I am whining. Whatev. Undecided

whitebirdlover

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2013, 09:10 PM »

Oh look, an Apple store.
No lie. For the first time ever, I am actually considering it.

And, and, you can always load windows on it ... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Anthony
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2013, 09:21 PM »

It seems odd to me that Microsoft appears to have given up on business computers when that has historically been their bread & butter with Windows and Office. But the introduction of the "Ribbon" interface in Office has been shown to have decreased productivity by 32%. So they spread it throughout Windows now? And Rhonda looked at our Windows 8 and no way her business can ever use it, luckily I bought both PC's this year with Win7 and did the $15 upgrade to Win8 but dual booted them. Have you tried to find the corners you have to hover over to pop out the menu's you need to do anything in Win8 with a multi-monitor setup? Your cursor just goes to the other monitor, it takes a steady hand to get a menu. Plus her job requires multiple monitors with 8 or more windows and applications open at all times. So there you are on the phone trying to resolve an irate and impatient customers problem when your boss sends you an IM or email and since mail & messaging are Win8 applications they'll open full screen and kick you back to the Win8 start screen losing all those pages you've opened. Well your toast while you spend the time getting back to the desktop and getting all the right windows back up on your screens while the customer cusses & threatens you - customer service is not a thankful job to start with, she's dreading that the company probably has to upgrade their computers soon, maybe they'll go with Linux  

Graphics wise Windows 8 is far better then Windows 7 on my systems, I don't know if that is something inherent to Win8 or the drivers for my graphics card are better in 8 then 7. But on the entertainment PC we have a 24" monitor for working on and a 28" LED TV as the secondary to use for entertsinment so I'm struggling with Win8 because of the clearer graphics, although it pisses me off on many occasions.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 09:47 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
madhabitz

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2013, 10:54 PM »

Oh look, an Apple store.
No lie. For the first time ever, I am actually considering it.

And, and, you can always load windows on it ... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

lol!

madhabitz

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2013, 10:57 PM »

-Mike
Remember the old DOS-based WordPerfect? Well, I was a WP Goddess. Oh man, I still miss that program.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change