GWTW Forum
December 22, 2014, 05:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Le Quartz Project - First time behind the sewing machine!  (Read 6085 times)
Lou
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 08:52 AM »

i get my aluminum duct tape at ACE hardware (its the place you know)....
but pretty much every hardware store should have thiss in their heating supply section.

Thanks to the both of you.  I'll hit Ace tonight after work and see what I can find.
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 01:36 PM »

i use the 1/4" double sided tape that KB sells....

Well ... that should help with seam attaching and NO MESS application!!  Cheesy 

I also tried to find that aluminum tape to edge the card stock templates for hot cutting but had no luck.  Any retailers that come to mind where this has been purchased?
Any hardware store should have it.  Its the same aluminum tape used for ductwork.  A couple more tips when working with clothing nylon for kites.  First you can use spray on urethane clear coat to coat and stabilize the fabric. Coat before you assemble the panels so you minimize fray and stretch while assembling.  Second pay real close attention to the bias and make sure you line it up right.  Depending on the kite pattern you may have to make more panels in order to do it.  IF your going to use seam tape make sure you have some sewers aid to lube the needle and thread to help prevent glue build up.
Lou

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 04:23 PM »

Can anyone please advise the best method to attach the two halves.  Is it best to start at the top or bottom, or maybe even the center T area and work outwards.  Not sure why i continue to have issues with not lining up ends.  I think this ripstop is just distorted somehow.  Is the ripstop from Goodwinds that hard to work with?  They appear to have the most available right now or should I really just wait for rip poly of some type?

Another question.  Looking to buy a new sewing machine and most don't use the feet pressure like this old Kenmore.  Is the foot pressure option super important for thin slick materials.  I seem to have left my foot pressure in the same spot.  I'm thinking though it might be best to buy a new machine with the same features like the old one as I think my sewing actually looked pretty good.  It just seems I will be spending $200 plus for features I may not need for kite building at least.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 04:39 PM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
Ca Ike

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 06:31 PM »

IF your machine works don't replace it yet until you decide how into this your going to get.  One thing you can do to help a bit is take a hair dryer on  high and use it to shrink the material back some.  THen line up the halves from nose to center T first then center T to tail.  THe bottom has a broad seam (curve) line that can be a pain to get right so take your time with it.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2013, 10:22 AM »

You could pony up a butt load of cash and get a new machine that has a walking for and that would help... but it is not necessary...I use a 50+ year old singer without any issues......I did get an after market walking for but do not even use it anymore......

That material will most likely have slipped as little during sewing and might not line up..........it creeps............

Ripstop that is used in kites ( whether nylon or poly) will not experience this issue..

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Lou

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2013, 03:46 PM »

I had the day off today so I did some more on the kite to pass the afternoon.  Sorry the images are poor quality today.  Storm is rolling through and quite dark out right now.  I didn't have ripstop in a 1 in. wide roll so I used what I had left from the sq. yard and made strips.  So now I have a two tone trailing edge  Huh

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 05:57 AM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
Ca Ike

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2013, 08:52 PM »

I only see one real mistake so far. You should be using a 3-step zig-zag stitch also called an elastic stitch for your panel seams.  Other than that it looks good
Lou

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2013, 05:56 AM »

I am using a 3-step zig zag... I think the first images, at the start of the thread show it.  I did however make the 3-step zig zag a bit smaller for now to make sure I stay within the seam.  I will increase the width and length as I get more proficient.   Grin

I also want to change the frame specs.  It calls for the following framework:

6mm pultruded for the LEs, Spine and Upper Spreader. 
5PT for the Lower Spreader. 

I want to go full P-Series, PT-Series or PX-Series.  Any suggestions of which to use throughout the frame.  I was going to do the following:

5PT -or- 2PX LEs and Lower Spreader. 
P300 -or- 3PX Spine.
1PX/2PX -or- P100/P200 Upper Spreader.[/
i] 

Not sure how that would balance out as the pultruded that is spec'd out is so darn heavy and flexing.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 07:35 AM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
coogee
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2013, 10:10 AM »

The "usual" skyshark frame I use for something like this is P200 LE and spine, 5PT LS and 6mm carbon US. Of course every one has there own idea of how to frame kites and there is always room for innovation, especially if you have a few bibs and bobs lying around. Using the mix of P200 and 5PT and 6mm is cheap, robust and easily replaced if you have a breakage. This is the frame in my Deep Space which I have beaten up mercilessly for years and still has the original rods. It also works a treat!
 Mike
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2013, 10:25 AM »

Does not look like a 3 step zig-zag to me either. Just a 2 step. Give us a closer look.
CV

P.S. I was able to zoom in, does not look like a 3 step.

Remember, No Matter Where You Go, There You Are.

madhabitz

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2013, 11:00 AM »

For curved edges, using binding cut on the bias is a big help. Here is a link to a tutorial:
http://www.sew4home.com/tips-resources/sewing-tips-tricks/how-make-continuous-bias-binding

Once you get into it, you will see just how easy it is to do. This method also saves fabric.

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Lou

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2013, 11:18 AM »

Does not look like a 3 step zig-zag to me either. Just a 2 step. Give us a closer look.
CV

P.S. I was able to zoom in, does not look like a 3 step.

Remember, No Matter Where You Go, There You Are.

Well darn.... What exactly does the 3-step look like.  Is there a couple more needle pokes in between each leg of the zig zag.  I'm trying to look up images right now to understand what I did. 

Here is a pic of two stitch types from my current machine. The one above is what I think is a correct 3-step zig zag.  The one below is the stitch I was using.

Thanks for pointing it out, that saved me a bunch a money had I done this on expensive Icarex!!  Will this stitch at least hold during flight or is this build to be scrapped.  If so then I guess it is back to the fabric store for some new ripstop nylon to try this again.  Tongue  You know even with this mistake I am sill excited about having learned some more about kite building.  This definitely is a great subset to this hobby, especially when Florida doesn't want to bring enough wind inland!!!!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 12:19 PM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
Ca Ike

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2013, 01:21 PM »

It will be fine just not as forgiving.  THe 3-step can move more with the fabric as it stretches which is why they use it for elastic. I'd be more concerned with that nylon giving up before the stitching.
cerfvoliste

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2013, 08:16 PM »

What Ike said. It should be fine (nice looking kite by the way). The 3-Point (like your example on top) is the preffered kite makers stitch. Try it next time.
CV

Lou

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2013, 09:35 PM »

What Ike said. It should be fine (nice looking kite by the way). The 3-Point (like your example on top) is the preffered kite makers stitch. Try it next time.
CV

I was reviewing a lot of other build guides and saw that the 2-Step Zigzag I used is used often on the TE and the Spine reinforcements.  So I wasn't going too crazy when I thought to use that stitch Cheesy  I think I will break the stiches on the sail seams and practice the 3-Step Zigzag.  Then it will only be about 5% sewn incorrectly rather than 95%  Sad 

Wish me luck!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum