GWTW Forum
November 28, 2014, 03:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Le Quartz Project - First time behind the sewing machine!  (Read 5885 times)
Lou
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: March 30, 2013, 08:06 PM »

Well... to wash the taste of frustration from the Spectra Reactor restoration projects I have decided to try my hand at kite building.  I started reading the Le Quartz build project online and said to myself... "I might be able to pull this one off!"  Cheesy

Here are some photos of the right side sail after spending 8 hours today doing the following:

1. Rushing to store to purchase ripstop nylon (sadly not Icarex or Chikara), fabric glue and red poly on poly thread.
2. Printing the templates and blueprint pages then taping them all together!!!  Next time single sheet complete prints at Staples!! 
3. I will next time hot cut on glass or other hard smooth surface, hardboard left too much debris on the sail edges. 
4. Paper templates are terrible to hot knife along.  Next serious project kite I will make proper templates from some hard material via water-jet.
5. Setting up the old Kenmore 1345 was simple enough... but only after spending 20 minutes trying to download a .pdf of the instruction manual!!!!  By the way... I need ALOT of practice at sewing and need to study up on sewing principles.  Setting tensions was so time consuming trying to find that sweet spot for the stitch of choice.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 08:43 PM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
PUZZLE
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 08:18 PM »

looks nice

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 05:23 AM »

Templates can easily be made from a cardstock like material with great results.......cover the edge with aluminum Duct tape (the real stuff not the duck tape) to help the template last longer....

While that material you got will teach you a lot it is going to act differently than what you will find in the sport kites on the market either icarex or nylon.... even while sewing it will stretch a lot more....and flight...well....I would suggest not framing this because that material will fit funky.....

But like you said you are learning a lot!!!!!
Tension is one of the top things to learn about your machine.....keep your needles sharp - if you hear a popping sound with each needle down stroke you need a new needle......

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Lou

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 05:48 AM »

Yes I knew this material was insufficient for performance but it allowed me to see whether or not I was even capable of hot cutting and sewing decently.  These two processes I felt were the hardest and I feel totally competent now to continue with kite building.

I am going to continue refining the hot cut process with your advice on the templates, that was an awesome idea.  I did purchase packages of #80 and #100 needles as I had no clue what needle was on the machine before.

I am actually going to frame this sail in pultruded or glass and mount in the house.  This is in fact still my very first kite build.  You know Lamborghini did make farm tractors before he started making supercars!  Grin
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 06:04 AM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 05:13 PM »

Sounds good!!!
Is the le quartz supposed to be in icarex or nylon?

Lou

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 06:52 PM »

Sounds good!!!
Is the le quartz supposed to be in icarex or nylon?

The project lists Icarex to be used.  I also found that, as you stated, with the way ripstop nylon has a stretch to it I had problems gluing and sewing the spine because of the concave shape it creates when put together.  It was terrible to get each end to meet perfectly, because of the stretching I caused when pulling the materials in, to be lined up then glued.  I still learned a lot about the process of attaching the two halves though.  This will definitely save me the pain in my wallet by learning about these issues and developing the techniques before hand and wasting expensive materials.

By the way.... where has all the 31g per mē Icarex Ripstop Polyester gone?!?!?!  I'm definitely not paying overseas shipping on a couple sq. yards of poly.  Any retailers in the states??
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 08:53 PM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 10:59 PM »

Only place to get Icarex is Jon T since Bonnie is closed for good now.  YOu can go to kite builder or goodwinds and get Silicon coated 3/4 oz nylon for ~7 a yard and thats good for  most any kite project.  Right now Icarex is running ~$15 a yard.
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 01:40 AM »

Well done.
It is indeed very good practice.
I decided to go the hard way from the beginning with the real thing and I suffered quite a bit in some parts where I thought I had almost wrecked the whole thing... *sigh* ... too much stress for my nerves and health   Embarrassed

Here you can see the process I followed in case it helps you:
http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=9002.0

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 04:40 AM »

kitebuilder also has ZMax which is another polycarbonate material like icarex....i have heard good things about it....

sil-nylon (silicone coated nylon) is not something i would suggest for a first sewing project...that is slick stuff.......reguires a steady hand...good set up...and def double sided tape...

Lou

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 07:59 AM »

kitebuilder also has ZMax which is another polycarbonate material like icarex....i have heard good things about it....

sil-nylon (silicone coated nylon) is not something i would suggest for a first sewing project...that is slick stuff.......reguires a steady hand...good set up...and def double sided tape...

Right now I'm using Fabric Fusion to attach the sail parts.. been somewhat of a pain actually and somewhat messy if the parts tear apart and spread glue all over.  What tapes are there that would best be used?

When you mention ZMax did you mean PMax or PolyMax?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 08:34 AM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 08:27 AM »

Right now I'm using Fabric Fusion to attach the sail parts.. been somewhat of a pain actually and somewhat messy if the parts tear apart and spread glue all over.  What tapes are there that would best be used?

I used 5mm double-sided tape which is very easy and clean to use. I think it is sold at many stationery stores, but I actually bought a large roll at my local kite shop.
Cheers

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 08:27 AM »

i use the 1/4" double sided tape that KB sells....

Lou

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 08:35 AM »

i use the 1/4" double sided tape that KB sells....

Well ... that should help with seam attaching and NO MESS application!!  Cheesy 

I also tried to find that aluminum tape to edge the card stock templates for hot cutting but had no luck.  Any retailers that come to mind where this has been purchased?
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 08:41 AM »

home depot has cold weather foil tape. I also got my hands on some thicker tape that they use to patch planes. Not sure where it came from

Sine Metu!
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 08:47 AM »

i get my aluminum duct tape at ACE hardware (its the place you know)....
but pretty much every hardware store should have thiss in their heating supply section.

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum