GWTW Forum
October 26, 2014, 01:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Whine & an Auto question  (Read 2118 times)
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« on: March 30, 2013, 10:47 PM »

On the way to work today, as often happens, my lane of freeway traffic suddenly slammed to a halt. I was able to stop in time, but it was close and was just starting to give a shakey bit o'thanks when I was slammed into from behind (twice), which slammed me into the car in front of me. Four cars involved.... everyone ok. Dents and some damage to all the cars.

Great start to my day, right?

So now it's after work (10:30pm) and my car won't start. Indications are that it's likely the starter. There are a lot of people around, enough so I could likely ask someone to jumpstart the car. If it is the starter, would a jumpstart get me going or should I just cut to the chase and have the car towed home?

Thanks,

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Turkey9186
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 10:48 PM »

If you were hit in the front and back, there is good chance the battery broke free and might be damaged.  Call road side assistance if you have it.
madhabitz

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 11:00 PM »

The battery seems fine- checked it and it's still solidly in place. Besides that, I still have interior/exterior lights. I should have mentioned this, but I've had intermittent starting problems for the last couple of weeks. I've taken it to the mechanic a couple of times, but of course things were fine when I got there.

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 11:49 PM »

Batteries start to die from the moment they are built and filled.

In the hot weather states, getting 2 or 3 years from a battery is considered good.

AAA guarantees the batteries they install are less than 6 months (maybe it's 3 months old).

Batteries you get from a service center or auto parts store may be older (even though sold as "new").

You didn't say how old your battery is, but an accident may have caused an intermittent contact

inside the battery.

If you get a new battery, spray seal the positive connection with some type of sealer (even hairspray).

Those colored cloth rings don't work for keeping corrosion away.

Hope that helps.

Good luck.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
madhabitz

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 12:19 AM »

Thanks John, I appreciate the help. As it happens, both the battery and the alternator are new (couple of months). Corrosion is something I've had to deal with on this car and learned a long time ago to take care of it before it becomes a problem. Your sealing tip is something I didn't know about tho- I will do that for sure!

I finally sucked it up and called a tow truck. Oh man, I hate car problems!

madhabitz

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 01:23 AM »

Well, I am home now. The tow guy was cool and knew his stuff. The problem is the starter, but he was able to do the jumpstart-thing. Hopefully the mechanic won't be taking Monday off and they will be able to fit me in. If not, I will have a good excuse to stay home and get a ton of reading done.

G'nite Smiley

mikeb
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 04:52 AM »

I remember the tap the solenoid with a hammer days to get ol' bessie started, or jump the solenoid with a screwdriver directly from the starter terminal. When I was working i never let a vehicle go out of warrenty, I needed to protect my means of making money. Sounds like it's starting to nickle and dime you.
trigger
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 07:40 AM »

What kind of vehicle?  If they jumped it and it started it is not the starter unless it is an interm problem and it was by chance it started.  When you turn the key, did it make any noise?  Rapid clicking or try to start but never fired?  I have been a dealership service tech/manager for 12yrs so maybe i can help Grin

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 10:06 AM »

I've had symptoms like this turn out to be just a loose or corroded battery terminal...

trigger
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 10:40 AM »

I second a loose corroded batter cable. Or a security system issue. Usually aftermarket and sometimes second owners don't realize there is one.  The relay goes bad under the dash.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
madhabitz

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 12:27 PM »

Sorry everyone. Just got up. Here's the skinny:

- car is '91 Jeep Cherokee; owned since '93

- battery is less than 2 mos. old... no corrosion, battery cables fine

- was doing the one-click thing for awhile, not the clickclickclick thing, had lights interior and exterior

- my cool tow truck driver was an old fart like me who knew cars like my dad did and he went to some lengths to save me the tow charge I was expecting to pay. Used a crow bar to reach the starter waaaay down under everything and pounded away until the engine turned over.

- out of warranty? Yup.

- nickel and dime-ing? Quite likely. Stupid old car, but it's been great over the long haul. I love it.

The upshot: I now know that a jumpstart works for a starter problem, but given the effort this guy put into it, it was good I didn't ask a passerby for a jump.

Thanks everyone!

Smeagol
Trade Count: (+82)

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 02:51 PM »

starter solenoid.. sometimes sold separately but it might just be easier to swap out the whole starter.  Sometimes just the solenoid is nearly as much as a new starter w/solenoid.  Cheesy

Sorry about the fender-bender, hopefully the damage wasn't too bad.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 02:56 PM by Smeagol » Logged
madhabitz

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 02:57 PM »

starter solenoid.. sometimes sold separately but it might just be easier to swap out the whole starter.  Sometimes just the solenoid is nearly as much as a new starter w/solenoid.  Cheesy
I was kind of wondering about that... Wondering if it would be worth it to get everything. Thanks for the tip!

Smeagol
Trade Count: (+82)

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 03:09 PM »

http://www.rockauto.com/

my 2nd favorite place to buy stuff from. Wink
madhabitz

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 03:16 PM »

Thanks Mike!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change