GWTW Forum
September 15, 2014, 10:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Whine & an Auto question  (Read 1912 times)
trigger
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2013, 06:35 PM »

Sounds like starter then.  Whole starter is the way to go.. my bias is Autozone duralast lifetime warranty and they keep excellent track of warranty for you across the country.  Fyi. also have someone check that there is no corrosion on either wire down at the starter.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2013, 06:55 PM »

Sounds like starter then.  Whole starter is the way to go.. my bias is Autozone duralast lifetime warranty and they keep excellent track of warranty for you across the country.  Fyi. also have someone check that there is no corrosion on either wire down at the starter.

Thanks for the tip on Autozone/duralast! I'd wondered about the corrosion myself-- isn't that why knocking on it worked to help start the thing last night? What I didn't think about, or know, is corrosion on the wiring. I will make sure they check it out. Thanks!!!

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
mikeb
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2013, 08:05 PM »

It's kinda like knocking corrosion off the inside of the starter, most likely the brushes inside the starter isn't getting good contact on the commutator because the brushes are worn down or the commutator is loaded up with carbon or both. Brushes can be replaced and commutator cleaned up. But that's what they do to a rebuilt starter. Next is the water pump, fuel pump, timing belt and stuff like that Wink
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2013, 10:53 PM »

Believe it or not the jolting you got from being hit is enough to crack the bond between the solenoid magnet and the housing.  THe pounding the tow driver did most likely got it back in place enough to start it.  Best to take it into a shop and have it tested/replaced.  Some starters  had a shock sensitive solenoid on them that would break on impacts of 20 mph or more disconnecting the starter motor and as they wore out that got more sensitive.  Now thats all comp controlled.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 07:24 AM »

As far as coating your battery cables don't bother with any of that stuff available at your auto parts store for that purpose, they don't work. If you've already had a "Bloom" problem nothing will cure it since you now have acid in the lead battery posts & the lead or copper of the battery cable connector and the wire itself, as you charge that acid will be forced out and "Bloom" again.

If you have newer parts then coat both the battery studs and the terminals on the wires with "Jet-Lube Kopr Coat" and you will never experience another bloom. I know it doesn't say that on the bottle and it's an anti-seize compound but it works. Also put a dab on your wheel lug nut studs next time they're off or run them off on a lazy day and do it so you don't get stuck on the side of a road with lug nuts you can't get off.

Use it sparingly, it's messy stuff but the bottle will last a lifetime, it was developed for the military for use on high current contacts. It's a high temperature grease with a molecular copper, not just ground up shavings. The mechanic who turned me on to it 30 years ago had no idea why it works, I don't either, it just does.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Turkey9186
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2013, 09:00 AM »

Chrysler starters use a bendix gear reduction drive and are notorious for jamming as they age.  Water enters the gears and they rust

Nickel and dimeing?  Couple of hundred for a starter installed one time, or twice that a month for the next five years in just payments?
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2013, 08:07 AM »

Good point on the trade off of keeping an older car alive or replacing it.

My sister is associated with some of the supposedly "Green" group who were pointing out to her that her old Land Cruiser burned far to much fuel and produced far too much pollution. She proceeded to point out that her vehicle was already in existence, that just building their new Prius produced far more pollution and used far more resources and energy then her old vehicle would ever use or burn in the additional life she would eek out of it with the help of her family of mechanics.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
trigger

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2013, 11:24 PM »

so.. what did we find out? 
david barnby
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2013, 09:53 AM »

i ran one of those cars for a few years - they are great and so prolific that every mechanic in the US knows them well. it wont cost a lot to have the solenoid and starter replaced as it is so quick to do and the starters are normally available as recon. i remember changing the starter outside on the street in ours.

just be aware of the ominous bearing noise from the back that comes from the drive, not the wheels. that is an expensive job.....
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document