GWTW Forum
November 22, 2014, 02:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Krystal FX Framing  (Read 1537 times)
drmndrew82
Trade Count: (+4)

« on: April 01, 2013, 11:28 AM »

Someone at my local kite field gave me a krystal fx sail for free. He said all I need to do is frame it. I was super excited about it because I want to get into building my own kites someday. The bad news is that after much research online, I could not find the specs for the framing of the kite. I found a little info, lower spreader and upper spreader length, but not the specs on the entire frame. Is this info something that I can find online?

Kite Bag: Skyburner: Widowmaker Std & UL/ I-Nak, HQ: Shadow, Flying Wings: Silver Fox 2.3 UL , Blue Moon: Mongoose, ITW: Kymera, Rev: (2) 1.5 SLE / 1.5 SLE Vented, Baressi Signature Vented, Kite Related Design: Fury UL, Fury STD, Fury Vented
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 03:16 PM »

I have a KFX LW (low wind).  Is yours this model?

I am not sure if the sails and framing dimensions are the same for the various versions of these kites or not.   Do you have a bridle?  If they do differ, then you can probably tell by the sail color which model that it is as long as it was not a custom.

I would email R-Sky.  I had an issue in reframing a Next and Roger was very helpful.

-Tom

6 kite tom
Craig
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 12:24 PM »

6mm LE and spine, P200 spreaders.
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 12:33 PM »

http://www.r-sky.com/en/kites/krystal-fx/frame/?version=4

Grin

ModMessage: now that's how you do it - zippy8
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 02:40 AM by zippy8 » Logged
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 12:04 AM »

But.

If you are going to have to frame the sail you might want to upgrade while you are at it.

JMO

YMMV
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 12:48 AM »

the specs on the entire frame.

The KFX could be had at various times with a variety of frames even for the Standard wind range kite. Even the most basic (6mm LEs, P200 LS) makes for a nice kite but a full Skyshark frame or even a Collector's Edition style Icone white ups the ante.

R-Sky's spec. page.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
drmndrew82

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 09:04 PM »

@zippy8: Thanks for the link to the Specs page. That helps, but what about the length of the rods. Does anyone know where that might be posted?

@tpatter: I believe it is a standard sail and yes I was given a bridle for it as well. I may end up emailing R-Sky like you said.

@krijn: Did you post a picture? For some reason I can't view it.

Thank you all for your help.

Kite Bag: Skyburner: Widowmaker Std & UL/ I-Nak, HQ: Shadow, Flying Wings: Silver Fox 2.3 UL , Blue Moon: Mongoose, ITW: Kymera, Rev: (2) 1.5 SLE / 1.5 SLE Vented, Baressi Signature Vented, Kite Related Design: Fury UL, Fury STD, Fury Vented
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 09:35 PM »

krijn somehow got the link to the specs page into image tags, Mike (zippy) has reposted the same link.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
drmndrew82

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 10:11 PM »

Oh okay. Thank you

Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 10:59 PM »

krijn somehow got the link to the specs page into image tags, Mike (zippy) has reposted the same link.

thanks

all those buttons.....  Angry
coogee

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 03:51 PM »

If you know the length  of the upper and lower spreader and what spars you use you can work out the rest by using the sail as a reference. The spine is long enough to reach the bottom of the sail, the LE is long enough to stick out of the sail. Make sure to include any fittings in this cave man approach. Lay it out with end caps and fittings to get an idea of what you want. If you are unsure cut the spar a bit over length and trim it down cause for sure you can not put bits back on if it is short. Check out pics of the kite to see what it should look like, that is how far the LE sits out of the LE pocket and so on. Have a go...
  Mike

drmndrew82

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 09:30 PM »

@coogee: thank you so much for the instruction. I had no idea where to start. I actually asked Tom at Highline Kites today and he gave me similar tips. You both make a lot of sense. Tomorrow I am going to buy some parts and have a go at it... 

KeithG
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 11:00 PM »

While the subject of this kite has come up, I have a Krystal FX standard that needs a bridle. Any of you out there that have the time and bridle line to make one I would gladly pay you for your services.

Can not hurt to ask right?

Keith

Kites & Corvettes, both, a great way to fly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum