GWTW Forum
September 20, 2014, 07:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Premier Widow NG (next generation)  (Read 4085 times)
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« on: April 01, 2013, 09:01 PM »

Premier Widow NG
A Jon Trenephol/Wayne Brunges design

Framing---P-300
Sail---3/4 oz RIpstop Nylon
Leech line--- None
Tail weight---16g
Bridle---3 Point

Construction

The last few premier kites I have gotten have been pretty bad in terms of quality.  Mis match fittings of different brands sometimes on the same kite but usually different kites of the same model have had different fittings.  Badly sewn seams and mis match rods in some cases.  I was expecting some of the same on this kite but i was quite surprised.  THe build quality of this kite is really good.  I was hard pressed to even find a dropped stitch.  According to Jon T premier is using a totally new factory for their production and they expect a good size jump in quality and consistency coming out of this new factory and if this kite is a indication they are right.  THe attention to detail in the build rivals that of Prism and FLying wings.

Flight

Out of the bag the kite just feels good and solid on the lines. I was wondering how the all p-300 frame would be for balance and weight but static balance is good and weight is lighter than expected.  The last widow model had p-200 leading edges which made the kite a bit too flexible and not as forgiving to over aggressive inputs.   The change to all p-300 gives the new widow a crisper response and makes it a bit smoother in the higher end with a lot less shudder than before.  Using a premier line set from an older RTF widow package combined with the nylon sail there was obvious sloppiness in response.  The give in the nylon compounded with the creep in the lines to have a noticable softening effect to inputs but its still good enough for the average flyer.  Upgrading to a better line set will really open up the kite.

The kite can be flown as low as 4 mph but really needs a good solid 5 to fly without a lot of work.  Remove the tail weight and it will fly as low as 3 but thats with a LOT of leg work so my recommendation is not to pull it out until at least 5 mph.  However, once this kite loads up to fly it really shines.  Tracking is solid and crisp but response to quick succession turns is slow, pull is very manageable up through 25 mph to where my friends 60 lb. 10 year old daughter can handle it with ease.  I wouldn’t think twice about handing this kite off to a kid to try as a first time kite.  The nylon sail combined with the p-300 frame makes this one tough kite.  THe sail was noisier than I expected but according to Jon this is the first one made and they didn’t cut enough camber in the wing tips (mistake in translating the plans) and that has been addressed already with the 2nd and third prototypes he received.

For the more advanced flyer this kite leaves little out.  Every trick I can think of is there for the taking but none really given away.  It does not need precise inputs and is quite forgiving but rewards good inputs. Rotational tricks are nice and flat, yoyo’s and other pitch tricks are quick and reliable.  There were only 2 tricks I couldn’t get out of this kite.  Yo-fade and riser.  The back flip is not deep enough and doesn’t lock in well enough for a riser and I couldn’t get the nose around for a yo-fade(its a weak trick for me though).  The more old school flier will be happy with the flat spin tricks, stable stall, stake out the lines and nap quality fades or ultra smooth side slides.  Flying to music ballet style is good but the forgiving nature of the kite can make quick transitions lackluster.  All in all a fun well made kite.

Conclusion

Not only is this a new graphic scheme for the widow, the kite has been improved as well.  THe price point for this kite puts it in the range of prism’s E3/hypnotist and flying wings acrobatix.  Performance wise I would put this kite in the class with the Silver fox, infinity, zephyr and other comparable $200-$250 range factory made high end kites.  I was told this kite was probably going to be released around the $175 price point (final price unconfirmed) and for what you get there won’t be much out there to beat the value for the first time flyer or novice looking for a good full performance kite on a budget.  This is definitely not a Widow Maker nor does it respond like one, but is close enough that stepping up to one from the widow will require little adjustment.
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 08:59 PM »

The first 100 in red will be coming in toward the end of April according to Jon.  He is taking orders  now here,  http://www.kitesandfunthings.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=66322 .  If you want one in yellow it will be a longer wait and no ETA et on those.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document