GWTW Forum
October 21, 2014, 05:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Daisy chain  (Read 2201 times)
moegeo
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: June 07, 2009, 05:30 PM »

I've use this on extention cords for years, and never had a problem.
On SKL bridles how is the last knot done to secure the daisy chain from pulling loose?  I end up with a twist that forces me to undo one loop at a time. I'm sure it's something simple.
Thanks, Geo.

Say Good Night Dick
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 05:42 PM »

How To Tie The Chain Knot

Fdeli
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 06:35 PM »

Excellent vid from Fidelio.

If you've tied it for years, you know the basic process.

I do it like this. I start the daisy chain as in the vid, near the kite, with a tight loop. That holds that end nicely. My middle loops are really loose to use up line. At the last loop, I don't pull the towpoint through as done in the video. Instead, I pull the last couple of loops tight on themselves and just leave the end free. That holds just fine. Then to undo, I simply pull the towpoint.

Bob
SKITCH
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 08:00 PM »

First thing I learned was to ALWAYS start your daisy chain at the same end of the bridle on every kite.  Learned it the hard way and had to undo plenty loop by loop.  I always start at the loose end furthest from the kite..(unlike MtFlyer starting at the reverse).  It doesn't really matter but doing it the same way EVERY time will insure that you always get it right when you go to fly the kite next time.  When I get to the end I just tie the last loop with the remaining bridle using a loose overhand knot.  Then when I go to fly I know that I just untie that knot and let it all drop. 

Practice it a couple times and see what works best for you. Mine don't look as pretty as others because I, like MtnFlyer use pretty loose loops.

Patrick

pgibble on the "old" forum

I fully appreciate the ability of trees to attract kites. They have special powers that way.

Charlie Dunton
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 11:31 AM »

If your daisy chain gets messed up and instead of pulling out easy you end up with every loop making a knot - it is because the very end of the daisy chain has passed through the loop and you are pulling it out on the wrong side.

If this happens, you just have to carefully look at the loop before you pull it tight and pass the end of the line back through the loop so that it pulls the next loop out instead of wrapping around it.  Once you pass the end of the line back through the loop so it pulls out on the right side, the rest of the daisy chain will pull out normally.

CTaylor
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 12:52 PM »

Here's my tip.  When you get to around 1 foot of bridle lines left (Starting from the kite end first of course) make the last loop large.  Then make a larks head with that, and attach it to the pigtail at the end of the bridle.  Then to undo the chain loosen the larks head remove the pigtail and pull.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 12:53 PM by CTaylor » Logged

moegeo
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 07:28 PM »

Thanks guys,
 I must have been holding my mouth wrong. Kiss

Say Good Night Dick
ainokea
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 07:40 PM »

Like MTnFlyer, I start mine at the kite end. I do this to all of my SLK's, and powerkites, including the
lines to the powerkite still attached. I've won many bets to see who can setup and ride away first.  Grin

Been doing this since I started flying, never had a problem.

Ian

Take a S.W.A.G. at it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change