GWTW Forum
April 23, 2014, 11:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: looxcie video camera  (Read 310 times)
DD
Trade Count: (+15)

« on: April 06, 2013, 09:03 PM »

I picked up the looxcie 2 video off of woot for $99.
Amazon has it for 149 with 3.5 stars. Amazon link: http://tinyurl.com/cs6lv7e
 I figured i would give it a try. Thought maybe it would be entertaining for some video. I didnt expect it to be a gopro but thought maybe it would be a little better then an atc1000 camera that I got years ago.
It shook way to much for me. It also ended up pointing off to the right way too much, mostly because I couldnt get it to stay in my ear and point straight. Real short lines may help but I still think the video is pretty poor. A ball clip( an accessory not included) might help to steady things more too. I have to test it some more.
I have been working on a cascade to a sideways rollup and managed to do it a few times today. I also managed to get Norm's fade challenge and a few avff.  Did I get it on video? No! :'( but i did get some wonderful video of the grass about ten feet to my right and about 20 feet out Sad  :'(
Real short lines may help but I still think the video is pretty poor. The video quality is better close up but still not great. A ball clip( an accessory not included) might help to steady things more too. There is also a wide angle lens available for it
I want to play with it some more and see how it does as a kap rig. I dont think the bluetooth stream would reach very far but you should be able to start the video and then turn it loose.
Bottom line; its a toy. Maybe I will break down and get a gopro.
On the plus side it does work as an bluetooth headset well enough.
Here is a small sample of the video.  I left the original audio in place and you can hear the wind. Be warned the video is shaky and I did let youtube try and stabilize it.
looxcie video

Sine Metu!
goestoeleven
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 09:19 PM »

DD . . . . the next time I see you . . . I need to have you teach me some dual line tricks.

I've been borrowing a friend's GoPro for some KAP attempts, and I have been pleased with the initial results (at least the picture quality).  I just set it to take a picture every 30 seconds, and launch it on my $10 home built KAP rig.  No pan & tilt, but it's OK for just messing around.  If I get into it, maybe I'll spring for something with some RC capability, and then I think a camera that can stream the picture becomes much more interesting.

Does the Bluetooth on that camera stream the picture remotely / on your phone?  Not that it matters if you don't have pan/tilt on your KAP rig . . .
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography