GWTW Forum
April 23, 2014, 06:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: North Shore VIP or ???  (Read 1918 times)
Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+4)

« on: April 07, 2013, 09:14 AM »

Flew a kite today which was sold to the owner as a North Shore VIP

Now the North Shore VIPs that we're flying with the team have less venting:

In our VIPs, one of the triangular panels is vented, whereas in the one we flew today, in addition to the triangular panel, the trailing edge panel and an additional 'band' is vented. So which of the two is the VIP, and what is the other called?

Magpiesfooty
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 06:43 PM »

It does not look  like an original to me.  I have a single stripe VIP and the top pictured kite has too much venting for an original. The correct venting is like the lower kite. The two striped models looked sharp in certain color schemes including the neon schemes. TOTL did do some custom sails, however.  Later models could look like this one, but I would be quite skeptical that this one would be an original.  I could be wrong.

Magpiesfooty

Now the North Shore VIPs that we're flying with the team have less venting:

In our VIPs, one of the triangular panels is vented, whereas in the one we flew today, in addition to the triangular panel, the trailing edge panel and an additional 'band' is vented. So which of the two is the VIP, and what is the other called?
whitebirdlover
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 09:18 PM »

The panel layout looks more like an NSR, and the geometry seems different unless that's just the angle of the kite in the photo...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 03:00 PM by whitebirdlover » Logged

Anthony
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 12:04 AM »

I have to agree with whitebird.  The first one looks like a custom vented radical not an extreme. THe aspect ratio is different as well as the nose.  I've seen a few vented radicals done in a similar fasion for really high winds in the 20-35 range.
Flying Fish

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 12:46 AM »

the geometry seems different unless that's just the angle of the kite in the photo...

The kite in the second picture is leaning back a bit more than the kite in the first picture, but I didn't do any measuring to see if they actually differ in aspect ratio.

coop
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 07:26 AM »

I think its a custom vented NSR.

TOTL Hawaiian Spinoff(2), TOTL Hawaiian Team(2), TOTL Windrule, TOTL NSR, HQ Passion, MEFM(Aust.), MEFM vented(Aus), MEFM(2), BMK Mamba, HQ Tramontana, NoNaMe, Stranger, Psycho, Atomic Wedgee, BMK Mantis UL, TOTL Sizzle
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 08:25 AM »

okay...my first thought would be does this odd kite look like it would be from the same age as the NSR VIP?   

any and all details on it that it might be a handmade version vs production?  (i would be looking at the quality of workmanship, materials etc).....

i would also love to see the dimensions to see if it is something else...

why would there be venting on the very trailing edge of the kite?  wouldn't that make more to cut that part off the skin and go from there?Huh?

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Flying Fish

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 08:37 AM »

On the vented trailing edge: this kite flies very un-North Shore-like: it's quiet

coop
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 12:09 PM »

TOTL kites generally have the TOTL logo printed on the leading edge.
Does it have the logo?

They dont all have the logo.

TOTL Hawaiian Spinoff(2), TOTL Hawaiian Team(2), TOTL Windrule, TOTL NSR, HQ Passion, MEFM(Aust.), MEFM vented(Aus), MEFM(2), BMK Mamba, HQ Tramontana, NoNaMe, Stranger, Psycho, Atomic Wedgee, BMK Mantis UL, TOTL Sizzle
whitebirdlover
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 03:03 PM »

By the way, what was used for venting fabric on these kites? It's an interesting looking kite whatever it is. How was the flight besides being quiet?

Anthony
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 03:43 PM »

TOTL kites generally have the TOTL logo printed on the leading edge.
Does it have the logo?

They dont all have the logo.
They either had a logo, a tag on the back side of the spine near the center T or both.  THe majority just had the tag sewn to the spine seam which siddapeard a lot.
Magpiesfooty
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 07:11 PM »

The venting fabric is very similar to the material used on the "kite brakes" straps you add to your line.  The flight, to me is not as good as the standard it is not bad, either.  It is a lot less nerveracking flying a vent, than your pride and joy getting buffeted with high gusts. Most vented kites (I have 5) do not have all of the attributes of their standard counterparts, or similar designs but here in north central Texas, wind is just a part of life, just how much you want to put up with.  They are handy. Vented kites or Flexifoils, take your pick...
Flying Fish

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 04:36 AM »

I'm 99% sure the kite had the TotL logo on the leading edge. And the material in the vented panels was the same kind of gauze as I use in wind brakes and as you see at the leading edge of a Rev.

As to how it flew, the wind last Sunday was such that our standard NSRs were starting to pull quite a bit, but just not enough yet to add brakes or switch to our VIPs. At that wind, this super-duper vented North Shore was clearly at its lower wind limit. Flew very slowly, no pull whatsoever, difficult to turn sharply. Would like to fly it again at winds which are 10-15mph up from what they were last Sunday, as I think the kite then really comes into its own.

Wayner
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 09:11 AM »

On the vented trailing edge: this kite flies very un-North Shore-like: it's quiet

This is a sharp looking kite. Not sure how I would enjoy it without the noise  Roll Eyes

Danceswithwinds

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 10:05 AM »

As the owner of this one of a Pair they both carry the TOTL Logo on a leading edge and are tagged by the spine. Flight wise very quiet with little pull. I have now added Velcro ripoff panels to one of the kites and am now waiting coast of for another dry day here on the sunny Cheesy south coast of the UK. Will update as and when flown.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography