GWTW Forum
October 20, 2014, 04:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's not me, it's the kite...  (Read 1010 times)
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« on: February 13, 2014, 02:06 PM »

I bet most of us have said, or at least thought that, more than once in the negative sense.
In other words, thinking, "why can't I do this trick? I is probably the kite. I must get a new one, better one."
 Smiley
After all, isn't this one of the main reasons people keep buying new kites?
To find the one that will be "perfect" and let you do "everything".
 Wink

However, curiously enough, I am now finding myself in the opposite situation.
I am now flying my new Sixth Sense almost exclusively because it is allowing me to do things I couldn't do with my other kites (I only shift to my Aura when the wind is really low).
I am being able to do Taz machines with little effort (or trial and error), Jacob's Ladders chained in three or fours, longish fades, flik flaks,...

So yesterday I thought "I'll take out my other kites and do the tricks I've learnt with my new SS".
And so I did. After flying my SS for 45minutes, out of the bag went my Soul (wind was sort of high so I couldn't take out my Talon UL).
I started to try to do those tricks I have "learnt" with my SS and...
...   Sad  ...

... I just couldn't do any!  Cry

So I wonder whether I have really learnt those tricks or whether I am really being guided by the excellent qualities of the SS.
 Huh

From the first moment I pulled the lines of my SS to get it into the air for the first time, I noticed something special about that kite.
But I wasn't really aware of how special it is until I went back to my other kites...

Of course some people can "click" very specially with one specific kite. Maybe this is part of the equation.
Also maybe it is the type of bridle... It is the first three point bridle while the other kites I have use a turbo bridle.
But in any case I really think the SS is an exceptional kite.

I would really recommend to anyone that has never tried it, to get hold of one (borrow, build, buy or "steal") and experience how it flies.
Of course I have tried really few kites and have not flown MANY which are probably as good or better.
But I really think the SS is one step ahead of many other kites.

So it's not me who flies better, it's the kite...
 Wink

Cheers.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 02:26 PM »

So it's not me who flies better, it's the kite...
 Wink

The differences between kites in terms of what they are "capable" of is incremental. The differences between kites in "how" they do things can be considerable.

It's the "how" that makes us feel more comfortable with one kite over another and that makes kites seem so different in capability.

A lot of it is muscle memory. Fly one kite a lot for a while and the next kite is bound to feel foreign. This muscle memory is why you often see someone who's been flying one type of kite a long time looking really good.

As some flyers gain experience over the years they gain the ability to interpret many different types of kites successfully and without a lot of familiarization. In my experience the people who can pick up any kite and look good with it are the few who have higher than average natural ability and the slightly larger group who have many years flying behind them. I have lots of experience but no natural ability, so when I go back to an old kite it still tends to feel clunky at first. It's not nearly as much of an issue as it was in the first few years, though.

All that said, there is the fact that some kites just feel right to some flyers. Finding a kite that really fits you is a big part of the fun. I suppose people buy kites because they are newer or "better" but in the long run it's more for the hard to define enjoyment of a specific kite or type of kite. I've had many kites that were the "best" available at the time and got bored with them for one reason or another.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 02:30 PM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 03:00 PM »

Yes that's interesting and agree mostly with it.

However, in my case, I've been flying my Soul for two years now with a relative regularity while I have flown the SS only about 10 days (perhaps even less).

So I would say my muscle memory should still have to be with the Soul. While despite that, I can fly the SS MUCH better.
So it is indeed probably a combination of it being a really good kite and me clicking with it at a very deep level.

Nonetheless, I still recommend that everyone tries it some time.
Cheers.
 Smiley

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Hadge

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 03:45 PM »

Finding a kite that you really click with makes a huge difference! It may not be the most expensive kite you can buy, it may not be the most popular kite, but once you find it the tricks can really start to flow. It can take a lot of time and money ( trust me I know! Sad) to find the kite for you but it sound like you have found it in the Sixth sense! Wink

I'm jealous of your 10 days flying!!......we have had nothing but storms ( 100mph winds recorded yesterday) and torrential rain for 2 months!! - most of Southern UK is flooded at the moment. I got my DS at Christmas and so far I've managed 15 minutes  Cry. Hoping to get to Filey in June so you will have to teach me the Taz!

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 06:11 PM »

It sounds like the Soul just doesn't 'click' with you. Fly the kite that flies the way you like... Sell the ones that don't, or just leave them behind.

adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 07:23 PM »

+1 on robs comment. HUGE Plus one.
I've went through all the prisms, all the BMKS, L'atellier, Rsky, Level one, etc. The journey is a bit frustrating at times. Or very frustrating.... and not the most fun to pay for. However the payoff is great. Finding a kite that is essentially an extension of you 100feet in the sky, makes a world of difference. Glad to hear things are moving in the right direction Smiley

In my entirety of kiting (which is now 17 years... woof) these are the only kites that I've felt super comfortable with, with an absolute immediate connection.

-Tika
-Midi
-Voodoo UL
-Tramontana 2000
-Prism Ozone/Flashlight
-PDSUL
-Niknak
-(Skip forward a loooonngg time)
-Solus lines
-Black Pearl lines

There aren't many out there for one person, but they do exist! I even took my senior HS picture with my old blue/black niknak that was beaten to crap. Still have it, won't ever get rid of it.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 07:28 PM by adx1592 » Logged

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
JJF6

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 02:18 AM »

G'day,

Well to get to point quickly, I have over 40 kites, this is what I have learn,t, every kite has it's day in the best wind for that kite. But in saying that some kites transition between tricks easier than others but it,s  personnel to the kite flyer. Some people concentrate on floating tricks others towards momentum based tricks, every one is different. In Australia at the moment we have extremely hot days and hot winds so not much flying. Bugger.

Cheers
K
Brisbane
Australia

photogbill
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 08:54 PM »

Ara,

I'm happy to hear you have found 'the' Kite for yourself! I have "traveled" a similar path as you, Allen, and adx over the years! I've bought and sold approx. 50 kites over the years in my journey! It has ...without a doubt ...been a fun-filled journey! My list has included some of the best boutique kites available: AeroStars', BMKs, JOEs, Sean Ts, ....as well as CTCs, R-Skys, Level Ones, Prisms etc. Each and every one has had it's pluses and minuses ...mostly pluses. I've also grown in my flying abilities over the years ...thanks to all of the kites I've owned and flown! There are a few that I have sold that I wished I could have back in my kite bag ...not necessarily because they are 'the' Kite for me ...but just because they did certain things well and more importantly ...I really enjoyed flying them immensely!

Until recently, 'the' Kite for me was my R-Sky Manga, which was a special edition forerunner to the NFX Extend with Icone framing. I owned another NFX Extend (which is nearly identical in build to my Manga) which has different framing ...and I just didn't 'connect' with it nearly as well!

Of my current kite bag of approximately 10 duel line kites (over 1/2 self-built) ...my Sixth Sense UL (full size) and SS 85% are giving my Manga a real run for it's money! I especially like my full size one more every time I get a chance to fly it! I like my SS UL so much that I'm planning on building an SUL SS in the near future! I may reframe my UL as a standard after that project is completed! Davide Equizzi sure does design some fantastic sport kites! It's still a little difficult to believe he's so gracious as to provide his build plans free to the kite flying/building community! Thanks again Davide if you are reading!

Another of Davide's kites I have great hopes for is my Invictus 88%. I like my full size one but have not had the opportunity to fly it nearly enough. My Invictus 88 was giving me a hard time ..until my trip down to TISKC this past January when I got a chance to fly it in some good winds and do some bridle tweaking. It had way to much oversteer in it but I'm getting very close to getting the bridle adjustment right and dialing it in! When I do ....I think it will be right up there with my SSs as favorites to fly! One thing that kite does better than every other kite I have flown is a yo-fade. It does other things well too but it yo-fades quicker and easier than anything I've ever flown!

It was nice reading your post Ara! I hope you continue to grow with your SS!
mdilucca
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 10:49 PM »

Totally agree with all the comments on this topic.  I also tried some of the best kites out there over the last 10 years and I learned something new with each of them.  A couple of years ago I decided to build a Vortex and I magically connected with it because it does all what I want and what I need to learn. My kudos to Christian Derefat for creating and sharing such an amazing design with all of us.  But, the search is not over and I just have started to build a SS because I can sense from this forum that I'll also click with it and probably like it better than the Vortex (or not  Roll Eyes). 

I think that both the flyer skills and the kite need to be connected as one unit in order to create the magic of flying.... Smiley

Cheers
Mario

photogbill
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 07:47 AM »

....But, the search is not over and I just have started to build a SS because I can sense from this forum that I'll also click with it and probably like it better than the Vortex (or not  Roll Eyes). 

I don't know if you will like it "better" than the Vortex since I haven't had the opportunity to fly one of those ...but I can say with relative certainty ...you WILL like the SS! I don't recall anyone who has flown one that posted anything here negative about the kite! That's not to say anyone would do so ...but it seems the verdict on the SS has been unanimously positive!
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 08:42 AM »

Thanks a lot for your feedback and experiences: Allen, Steve, RobB, Devin, JJF6, photogbill & Mario.

It is indeed great to see how one evolves and be able to compare it to how others evolve or have evolved.

I am really having fun now... and getting tired!
I am running around more than I ever did.
I guess the SS gets me so motivated I really feel like going for those flik flaks, Taz's, JL's, yoyo's and therefore I keep running around to give slack and recover from it.
Great exercise!   Smiley

So I guess it is time to exploit my SS to my limits.
Cheers!

In my bag...
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 11:03 AM »

Remember, muscle memory works both ways. Commit a bad habit with a particular kite and a particular trick into muscle memory and you may find it easier to learn the trick an another kite than one you've tried the trick on a thousand times.

Learning a trick on one kite is a good start, but change kites, and the timing and force needed to perform the same trick may differ considerably, this doesn't mean the flyer or the kite are at fault, they're just different.

Come back to your Soul after an extended break and you may find you've forgotten the kite  "couldn't" do certain tricks.

Fdeli
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change