GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 07:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prism has a newsletter?!?  (Read 7502 times)
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 10:49 PM »

For the recordů Prism's newsletter is a means of communication to their dealers and is not written nor intended for the public. Not that there any real secrets in them it's just that Prism prefers to provide the information to the dealer and the dealer then provides the information to the end customer.
Case in point "I presume this news (?) letter is meant to give an update on their whole product range for 2013 and sum total of their new products is a set of hand straps!"

Sorry.... didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.... the link was actually posted on Facebook. 

As for release cycles, I think a GWTW Blog Entry made it fairly clear that Prism was announcing new products all at one go on some arbitrary date, but as they became available... with some prudent guestimating for lead time.  As nothing has since been stated to contradict that position, I took it for granted that it was still the case.

ATB,
Sam
There have been a few releases done on a new for xxx year but Mark has never really been big on the whole "new for year xxxx"  Knowing several prism dealers it has always been Marks habit to perfect a new item then come up with a release date and you never even know its coming until its ready for release and the date  is set in stone.  ALways more of "coming in august 2013" type of announcement for his new stuff.
drmndrew82
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 01:40 PM »

It would be nice to see Prism come out with some new products. My first kite was a prism, like many other fliers I know so even though I am not a big fan of their current line up, I still have some brand loyalty to the company that got me started. I definitely second the opinion that they make great kites for new fliers. 

Kite Bag: Skyburner: Widowmaker Std & UL/ I-Nak, HQ: Shadow, Flying Wings: Silver Fox 2.3 UL , Blue Moon: Mongoose, ITW: Kymera, Rev: (2) 1.5 SLE / 1.5 SLE Vented, Baressi Signature Vented, Kite Related Design: Fury UL, Fury STD, Fury Vented
harveystubbs
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 03:44 PM »

Considering they are a 'big' kite maker I was hoping for some innovation and something truly cutting edge. That would be a lot more like apple as someone mentioned before. I remember the illusion from when I flew many years ago (before I stopped for a number of years). No one had come up with anything like that at that time. It was exciting. Don't get me wrong I like the zephyr though I think the bridle set up does not do it justice at all. They need an out and out trick machine for starters  Cool
Craig
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 12:46 PM »

Prism haven't been cutting edge for years, who care what their next kite will be, it wont be aimed at us.
John Welden

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2013, 01:07 PM »

Prism haven't been cutting edge for years, who care what their next kite will be, it wont be aimed at us.

The Quantum pro is outdated? How so?
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 04:57 PM »

Probably because the design is 10 years old. It does everything I ask it to do, but I'm not very advanced. It cuts the sharpest lines of any kite that I own, though. I think others are wishing for a true flippy-floppy trick machine, which is lacking in the Prism line-up. Or maybe just a new look... who knows... it seems that some people just like to knock Prism.

madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2013, 05:35 PM »

I think others are wishing for a true flippy-floppy trick machine, which is lacking in the Prism line-up. Or maybe just a new look... who knows... it seems that some people just like to knock Prism.

You know, it's funny you say this..... the Nexus was my first-ever dual line. I had it for just a couple of weeks before I bought the Hypnotist - just couldn't learn on that booger (the Nexus). It zipped around at lightning speeds- all I was able to do was launch, crash, and do The Walk.

I dragged it out of the closet a couple of weeks ago and couldn't believe how flippy that sucker was and how light my inputs needed to be. Dang thing rolled right up when I just flicked my pinkie, then unrolled and flipped over to a fade.... nevermind that I hadn't intended for it to do that and had never done it before. Gads, it was so cool, enough so to be worth messing with it a lot more.

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2013, 05:44 PM »

Probably because the design is 10 years old. It does everything I ask it to do, but I'm not very advanced. It cuts the sharpest lines of any kite that I own, though. I think others are wishing for a true flippy-floppy trick machine, which is lacking in the Prism line-up. Or maybe just a new look... who knows... it seems that some people just like to knock Prism.
Funny you should mention this Rob.  I see this attitude too and yet there is a flippy floppy trick machine in the prism line up, it just isn't what people expect from prism and thats the E3 then you have the Zephyr that can fit that bill too.  Prism has been known for excellent  flying/tracking kites that trick well, tough as nails and are fun to fly.  None of their kites give away tricks and thats what people seem to want. Just look at how many "what kites give away tricks" type threads there have been.  Prism kites require you to learn to fly first then learn to trick and as we see on here all the time people want to go right to tricks without learning to fly.

With as much as kite design has come around with features coming and going only to come back I don't thing you can consider any kite "cutting edge".  Not too long ago kites that locked in a turtle were frowned upon as bad fliers and now with the riser being looked at as a trick, kites are getting back to having nice locked in deep turtles.  Straight leading edges were common early on, then curved edges came in and now straight edges are back. Its all relative to what works best for the current trick rage.
RobB

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2013, 09:13 PM »

Yeah, I get that. I totally forgot about the E3, I haven't flown mine in at least 2 years, maybe I should dig it out of the basement and give it another try. I am more than happy with the QPro & the Zephyr, I probably have more hours on those 2 kites than any others. I could do all kinds of things with the E3, but I could never get the tricks to look nice like on the QP or Zeph.
So maybe what I'm getting at is a kite that has the radical feel of the E3 with the refinement of the Qpro. Qpro II ? As it is, the stock E3 struck me as being a little cheap for the price point. If you look around, you can find a Zephyr for $20 less than an E3... that makes sense, right ?  Roll Eyes

WolvenX
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2013, 11:09 PM »

I agree with @Ca Ike!  The first kite I ever bought was a prism Jazz, moved to the Nexus and then to the Quantum.  That was the kite that really helped me begin to fly, simply because it was almost indestructible.

T help kids learn to fly on the Quantum's for this very reason and then move to the E2 and E3 and Zephyr.  My point is they are all prism and my favourite low wind kite is my Rainbow Ozone which I still fly today.  I personally think that the Elixir was one of the best kites ever made.  Wink

Being in Australia the cost of the European kites is prohibitive, but I am going to ask for at least 3 for my birthday from various relatives.  So with luck I might be able to try out a Fury, a Nirvana SE and a Benson Deep Space.  But if I do, it will have taken me ten years to get them because I could never afford them when I was young and newly married with kids etc.   

I know people knock prism but I would have never got into kite flying if Prism didn't exist.  So I will always be a Prism supporter.  Cheesy

You can either fly or die, personally I'll fly!!!

Kites: x2 Jazz; x2 Microns; Quantum; Zephyr; Ozone; Alien; Illusion 2K; E2; E3; Redback (hold the line Kites); Silver Fox (vented) Talon & Iridium on the way !!!
Craig

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2013, 10:48 AM »

I'm not knocking Prism just being realistic, they moved away from cutting edge designs years ago, they've gone for the mass sale cheapish beach stunter brigade, good for them, that's where the money is I guess, Mark's probably watching from his multi-million dollar home and rubbing his hands together.

Anyone that thinks they're still relevant needs their head examined, even the best flyers in the US flew their own designs or Euro designed and built kites. Although there was one great video of Dave Smith flying the Zephyr.

And really John, the Q Pro was 2 years behind the curve when it originally came out 10 years ago!
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2013, 11:26 AM »

Craig,

You mistake age for lack of design.

The Eclipse, Elixir, Quantum Pro, E2, E3 and Zephyr for that matter

may be old in "kite years", but that does not mean they can't hold

their own in both precision and tricks with the high end designs of today.

The materials have not significantly changed in the past 10 or 15 years.

So it is the design. Even with the increased popularity of pitch tricks built

in today's "designs", courtesy of keel weights, not engineering improvement

of the kite itself, the older kites of Prism are still relevant. I have said many

times that the Elixir (without weights, stoppers or ubermaterials) is capable of a more

complete set of all modern tricks than any other. I still stand with this statement.

And if you feel the need, slap 20 grams of weight on any of the aforementioned

Prism dinosaurs and they will be happy to roll-up for you.

The new designs may be more inherently unstable (trick friendly), but they are

less refined in the execution.

The best Taz Machine I ever performed or saw was from an Inner Space, not

some state-of-the-art flavor-of-the-month kite.

If you have never seen John Welden, Ca Ike or Mark Reed on an unmodified

Elixir, you are missing an experience in what a truly complete trick machine is.

If age was an excuse for dismissal, chocolate ice cream would have been gone

centuries ago.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Craig

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2013, 11:50 AM »

John, I've not suggested that Prism's designs were not good.

But they are dated, and by the looks of things Prism have no intention of updating the range, so please don't give the 'they don't need to' line. You might be happy driving a 10 year old car, that doesn't mean others want to.
harveystubbs
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2013, 02:22 PM »

John, I've not suggested that Prism's designs were not good.

But they are dated, and by the looks of things Prism have no intention of updating the range, so please don't give the 'they don't need to' line. You might be happy driving a 10 year old car, that doesn't mean others want to.

+1 .... I'm not knocking them but telling it straight. I like the zeph but it is much better kite with some tuning. The unadjustable stitched bridle which is set far too heavy doesn't help either.

I still fly a nirvana and I know it's not the latest design but I do appreciate what they were trying to achieve by it's design. I don't want a kite that necessarily gives away tricks I just want something inventive, uniquely fun and perhaps different to fly.

All of the prism kites that fit this criteria mentioned above are old. Some of their more modern high end kites are a pastiche of the french kites either in sail pattern or flying style. However, that said I still would like a quantum pro !  Cool

« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 02:39 PM by harveystubbs » Logged
RobB

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2013, 04:46 PM »

I think that Prism was cutting edge for so long in the 90's and early 00's that people expect them to keep going, leading the industry. Even if it's mid-grade stuff like the E3... that design is 4+ years old now, too. Coming up with new product is easy, just double the size of the 4D, and there's a home run. Double the size of the new-ish SLK's, I'd buy one of each. Make a visual change to the Zephyr or QPro, maybe some tweaks (or not), it would still increase sales.
Look at the rate of change & innovation 10-15 years ago... it seems pretty stagnant now.  Embarrassed

Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change