GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 11:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prism has a newsletter?!?  (Read 7322 times)
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« on: April 08, 2013, 06:35 PM »

Who knew?   Huh

http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=148c7d8ec28fb4ed16c7d6185&id=9c7e5e87f1&e=4000b32e63

ATB,
Sam
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 06:56 PM »

Their dealers

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 04:00 AM »

well now..these new straps are interesting!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 04:29 AM »

I wonder if there will be a new kite to go with those cool straps... QPro II ? Double D ? Berkeley Zephyr ? 

Grin

harveystubbs

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 06:04 AM »

When are they going to release a new kite? .... it's been a while

All that's new is a pair of straps which cures a problem that is very easy to fix in so many other ways !  Roll Eyes
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 06:57 AM »

All that's new is a pair of straps which cures a problem that is very easy to fix in so many other ways !  Roll Eyes
remember that we are no longer Prism's target customer base....they sell a lot via other stores that are not as connected to the kite industry.....
They do offer the higher end kites to satisfy the likes of us...but volume-wise they put their efforts into the lower end pieces for good reason....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
harveystubbs

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 09:25 AM »

remember that we are no longer Prism's target customer base....they sell a lot via other stores that are not as connected to the kite industry.....
They do offer the higher end kites to satisfy the likes of us...but volume-wise they put their efforts into the lower end pieces for good reason....

I presume this news (?) letter is meant to give an update on their whole product range for 2013 and sum total of their new products is a set of hand straps! Roll Eyes I have created and innovated more at home in the last month.

.... At least the brochure's not in chinese though Cool
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 09:40 AM »

While mostly true skb™, Mark still takes the time to license

designs from kitemakers. He will also go over the design and

often come up with design enhancements, like the sliding

bridle on the Zero-G.

When your choice is between selling 300 kites at $300 each

or a gazillion kites at $60, which one of us wouldn't chose

becoming the off-shore figurehead.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 09:51 AM »

But even though apple sells the iPad mini, they haven't given up on final cut pro.

Fˇdeli°
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 10:30 AM »

Not to get into questioning Marks marketing skills since they are the probably the best in the industry but .... High end stuff is something that many companies still invest in, they may not make a profit off it but it builds brand loyalty.

Take the Ford GT40, Dodge Viper, Chevrolet Corvette, etc. And also the investment in racing, I doubt any auto manufacturer has ever made a dime off their racing program other then - A win on Sunday sells Ford Fusions on Monday.

Maybe if kite competitions ever become popular in this country again Prism will throw out a new high end kite. But the lack of a show here in the US doesn't provide much inspiration to do so at the moment.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 04:13 PM »

For the record… Prism's newsletter is a means of communication to their dealers and is not written nor intended for the public. Not that there any real secrets in them it's just that Prism prefers to provide the information to the dealer and the dealer then provides the information to the end customer.
Case in point "I presume this news (?) letter is meant to give an update on their whole product range for 2013 and sum total of their new products is a set of hand straps!"
The intended audience, dealers, know that is not the case and know that that is not the only newsletter that Prism will be sending out this year.

To Fidelio's point… I am pretty sure that Final Cut Pro is one of the leading sellers in its category. Many people assume that when Prism discontinued its advanced line of kites that the sales were stellar. GWTW was a going concern at that time and I can tell you that I was not surprised and fully understood why they made the decision to discontinue.

Pretty sure that we long ago put to rest the myth that kites flown in competition and sponsoring flyers resulted in sales for the manufacturer. That may have been true back in the early 90s but I can tell you for sure that since I have been involved in kiting that was not happening.

Is there a new kite coming out from Prism this year? Not to be an *** but I can't/won't say until Prism tells me that it's appropriate, perhaps they will communicate this through the newsletter.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 07:41 PM by Steve » Logged

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
jim-bo
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 06:33 PM »

My first adult kite was a Prism Jazz that my wife bought for me at REI.  My last one, with a few in between, was a WM std. If not for the Jazz I would not be spending money on kites now. Smiley
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 06:45 PM »

My first adult kite was a Prism Jazz that my wife bought for me at REI.  My last one, with a few in between, was a WM std. If not for the Jazz I would not be spending money on kites now. Smiley
This has been Marks focus for years now. NOt the already addicted but the potential addicted Tongue  If it wasn't for Mark's and in part Dodd's work with getting good stuff to the new flyer market that gives a great first time experience (some others too I'm sure) I doubt there would be as many high end builders today as there are. I can't count the number of people that have never flown that know about PRism kites.
indigo_wolf

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 07:01 PM »

For the record… Prism's newsletter is a means of communication to their dealers and is not written nor intended for the public. Not that there any real secrets in them it's just that Prism prefers to provide the information to the dealer and the dealer then provides the information to the end customer.
Case in point "I presume this news (?) letter is meant to give an update on their whole product range for 2013 and sum total of their new products is a set of hand straps!"

Sorry.... didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.... the link was actually posted on Facebook. 

As for release cycles, I think a GWTW Blog Entry made it fairly clear that Prism was announcing new products all at one go on some arbitrary date, but as they became available... with some prudent guestimating for lead time.  As nothing has since been stated to contradict that position, I took it for granted that it was still the case.

ATB,
Sam
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 07:28 PM »

Sorry.... didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.... the link was actually posted on Facebook. 

As for release cycles, I think a GWTW Blog Entry made it fairly clear that Prism was announcing new products all at one go on some arbitrary date, but as they became available... with some prudent guestimating for lead time.  As nothing has since been stated to contradict that position, I took it for granted that it was still the case.

ATB,
Sam
next tuesday after lunch

Sine Metu!
Pages: [1] 2 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document