GWTW Forum
September 03, 2014, 12:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prism has a newsletter?!?  (Read 7036 times)
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2013, 06:37 PM »

GEES! would have loved to have been into kites back then. Looks like it was a real game changer, revolution even.... exiting times for some.. Nothing like that these days.. with the exception of better made kites we are basically at the pinnacle of freestyle kites...... time to dig out the Nirvana perhaps.
This was from another thread and you seem to be contradicting yourself in this thread.  However I agree that we are at the pinnacle of kites and its now just refining the tuning to get specific performance aspects.

You always seem to bring up this point when someone points out the age of the QP. I'll make it simple..... the QP is outdated because..........

it has no covered leading edges just antiquated glider bars.
No snag free nose.
Poor weight system
outdated bridle
and the center t needs improving.
No Icarex sail.
Crappy yo yo stoppers.

All of which could be improved with minor changes in a MarkII version if Prism wanted.

Some of that I agree with some i don't.  I prefer covered edges to gliderbars but they both work well for the purpose.  

No such thing as a snag free nose and I have personally gotten snags on these so-called snag free noses.  

Weight system works for what it was designed to do which was not make tricks easier but make the kite more manageable in higher winds up to 30 mph, trick improvement was a side affect of the design not the goal.  

Bridle outdated?  Hell  if any bridle is outdated it would be the 3-point static that Chris and many other makers are using on their so-called revolutionary kites that was designed more than 30 years ago(even longer because it's what Regallo used on his test kites).  How about the active bridles Tim uses that were designed by Andy more than 15 years ago are those outdated?

No Icarex sail?  All Icarex is, is .6 oz polycarbonate coated ripstop polyester with a tighter grid than texlon which was also polycarbonate coated ripstop polyester at .6 oz  Lots of kite companies have texlon on hand and still use it until they run out.  There is no real difference between the two other than the grid size and they are both made by Texlon textile corp. anyway.

Crappy stoppers?  Yea the standoff connector zip tied is cheasy but not crappy.  It works and is copied by a lot of companies on current kites.  Personally I like the yoyo stop will used on the saber 2 which I think is an R-sky stop.  It looks cleaner but is no different in functionality to the zip tied standoff connector and more of a pain to replace if it breaks.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 06:39 PM by Ca Ike » Logged
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2013, 02:46 AM »

Does the Prism newsletter have editorials and comics in it?
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2013, 02:32 PM »

Does the Prism newsletter have editorials and comics in it?

No, but if you print it out in black and white, you can go crazy with a box of Crayolas.  Roll Eyes

ATB,
Sam
dayhiker
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2014, 12:50 PM »

Well it's been over ten months now since this topic was started & became big time.  Just like to say I still like Prism kites & have flown my little 4D more than I could have ever imagined.  Went to the beach at Christmas and even though I had several high dollar boutique kites with me, what did I fly?  Micron stack, QP, Zephyr & Revs, then bought an old Alien & an E3 because I wanted to try them.  Guess I am still in love.  This bump's for Prism....
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 12:52 PM by dayhiker » Logged

"Well him & my uncle tore that engine down
 I still remember that rumblin' sound"   Steve Earle
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2014, 10:11 AM »

I signed up.....
Never saw a thing....

Remember, No Matter Where You Go, There  You Are.

Pages: 1 ... 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document