GWTW Forum
September 20, 2014, 01:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm ready, which kite is next?  (Read 4375 times)
spblat
Trade Count: (0)

« on: April 09, 2013, 10:33 AM »

I've been flying a New Tech Detonator for the last 6 years and it's time to graduate. I have another kite I know nothing about, the bag says "Wei Fang 2008." It's fun in high wind, it's kind of a lumbering brute compared to the Detonator. Here's me flying the Wei Fang last year.

Spblat flew a kite

So I'm ready to take it to the next level. I want to learn how to do some tricks on a kite that's good for a range of wind conditions. It seems like the E3 is most popular choice, as people seem to be saying the Chinese construction isn't that big a problem lately. Plus it comes with a video, which could be good as I have so, SO much to learn. But it doesn't seem to me that Prism has designed anything new for many years.

So. E3? Benson DSV? Sky Burner? NSE? Which kite will both let me learn new stuff and forgive my inexperience?

Prism has some good videos and diagrams. Where else can I learn?

Thanks everyone.
red sweater

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 11:04 AM »

I'll let others recommend specific kites. But do consider keeping an eye on the used kite deals in the swap meet here.

As far as resources for learning, here are a few of my bookmarks:

http://fracturedaxel.co.uk/wiki9/tiki-index.php?page=Functional+Index
http://v2.1.kiteclique.com/tutorials/randygs/
http://v2.2.kiteclique.com/tutorials/tricks-party/
http://v2.1.kiteclique.com/tutorials/mama74/ (Martin had more than this hosted on kitebox, which is down for good? I haven't checked to see if his YT account has all the rest. But here it is, give it a check...)
http://www.youtube.com/user/DPmama74

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 11:14 AM »

hey spblat sounds like you are on the road to addiction!!!!   
Lets start with....
Where are you located? (you can put this into your profile so it is visible to everyone) one of the best things is to meet up with other flyers and then use OPK! (Other Peoples Kites) Try them....see what you like!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 11:17 AM »

Welcome to the Forum.  Smiley

If you can fly without crashing, you should have no fear

of purchasing a high end kite.

I would urge you to support the smaller (boutique) kite companies.

SkyBurner
Benson
Jest Of Eve
R-Sky

to name a few.

My personal suggestion would be a Widow Maker standard by SkyBurner.

You can even purchase some wind brakes and/or Q/flaps.
   These items will let you fly in higher wind or in Quad mode (although not a Rev by any means)

The WidowMaker is a proven design and is very forgiving.
It can even be ordered in custom colors for some extra dollars.

Good luck with your new addiction passion.

Wind brakes on Widow Maker:

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
spblat

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 11:49 AM »

Thanks folks. Profile updated. I'm in Portland Oregon and I only fly a half dozen days a year out on the coast. Moar!

Appreciate the impulse to support smaller kite makers. Thanks to the list of links above and the recommendation from chilese I'm on board with the Widow Maker. I'll check out the swap meet too.

hey spblat sounds like you are on the road to addiction!!!!
Oh I've been on it all along. There don't seem to be offramps...  Grin
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 12:05 PM »

As thief pointed out:

It is best to fly with local kiters and try out their kites.

If you find one you really like, go with that.

And, if you try and like many different models, choose the

one you think looks the best. You'll be seeing it for a long time.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 12:22 PM »

ooh boy....being in Portland changes things......you could hit up kitelife and drop a note to the head of that site...they are based in Portland as well...and he has also designed the Kymera from Into the wind as well....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
spblat

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 12:32 PM »

ooh boy....being in Portland changes things......you could hit up kitelife and drop a note to the head of that site...they are based in Portland as well...and he has also designed the Kymera from Into the wind as well....
Huh That is a happy coincidence. Thanks!
Charles P

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 12:17 AM »

And, if you try and like many different models, choose the

one you think looks the best. You'll be seeing it for a long time.  Smiley

I agree with chilese 100%
Any high end kite is going to perform well but you will get so much more enjoyment out of it if you really like the looks of the kite. My first expensive kite was the Seven by Sportkitedesin, its still my go to kite. It performs better than I can fly and has looks that kill.   Cool
 Welcome to the forum, I'm a bit of a newb myself but I just love trick flying with dual lines and the I have picked up a great deal of knowledge surfing the topics of this site.

If you really want to learn a few tricks you can definitely speed up the process by trying to meet up with local kiters who do trick flying.
  I'm sure you will be happy with whatever kite you decide on considering the  ones you mentioned. Please let us know what you end up with, sounds like it might be a Widow Maker.   Smiley

In the bag,

Seven SUL, Deep Space UL, Seven Std., Deep Space Vented
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 04:01 AM »

If I had to  have only one kite it would be the Widow Maker. It's got a nice wind range and is good at pitch AND rotational tricks.

Bob D.
spblat

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 06:28 AM »

If I had to  have only one kite it would be the Widow Maker. It's got a nice wind range and is good at pitch AND rotational tricks.

Well that's a good thing because I just ordered one  Grin
glk47
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 08:31 AM »

He may also try to interest you in joining the AKA. The national convention is out your way this October - Seaside OR.

Larry
Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 01:16 PM »

Well that's a good thing because I just ordered one  Grin

You should be very happy.
drmndrew82
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 01:31 PM »

Nice choice on the WM. I just ordered one as well. I have read a lot of threads with people who say it is their favorite kite. Even when people buy more kites, it seems that the WM stays in their "A" bag. Did you get a custom or a standard color scheme?

Kite Bag: Skyburner: Widowmaker Std & UL/ I-Nak, HQ: Shadow, Flying Wings: Silver Fox 2.3 UL , Blue Moon: Mongoose, ITW: Kymera, Rev: (2) 1.5 SLE / 1.5 SLE Vented, Baressi Signature Vented, Kite Related Design: Fury UL, Fury STD, Fury Vented
spblat

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 02:08 PM »

Did you get a custom or a standard color scheme?

I was gonna go custom, then decided I like the purple one so I ordered it. Then I saw this, OMG  Cheesy

Potipoti63's WM Video
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document