GWTW Forum
October 20, 2014, 01:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pro Xtra Vent vrs. Pro Full Vent  (Read 4742 times)
photogbill
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: April 09, 2013, 08:17 PM »

I'd like to now what those that have flown both kites have to say about their similarities vrs. their differences. It's obvious that the extra vent will fly with less pull than a full vent in high winds, so I'm not looking for a generic answer.

I currently own a Standard (non-pro) B-Series Rev and a 'homemade' Standard Rev-style kite. I sold a Non-Pro B-Series Full Vent back in January due to my intentions on buying a Eliot Shook 75% Masterpiece Rev at the time ....but have been re-thinking my plans due to budgetary restraints. As much as I'd love to own a Shook Masterpiece Rev ....I've flown 3 different ones and they were as smooth as silk and a complete joy to fly.... I just can't justify spending $600 on a new kite right now.

Realizing that most dedicated, serious Rev fliers own a Shook Masterpiece or two ....how does the Xtra Vent compare? ...especially to Eliot's kites ...but also to a Full Vent Pro B-Series? ...or should I just replace the full vent I sold for another Non-Pro B-Series Full Vent? Also, for those that have flown or own an Xtra Vent ...what is the lowest wind needed to enjoyably fly an Xtra Vent? How different is it to a Regular Full Vent model?

Last but not least ...will I ...as a half-way decent ....but absolute non-expert Rev flier be able to appreciate & benifit from either a Shook Masterpiece or an Xtra Vent?
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 10:42 PM »

You might want to also ask this on the Rev Forum.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
SparkieRob
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 01:41 AM »

I've never flowen an XTRA or a Shook but I do have a Polo VTD. From what I could find out the XTRA behaves the same as a Vtd but can do it higher up. It will still "power and depower". The Shook equiv of the XTRA will fly LOWER as it is lighter, screen verses Icarex/air, and is silky smooth as the venting is across the whole wing. The Polo VTD doesn't "power/depower" as well as the XTRA but will go that bit higher due to more venting.
Why did I get a Polo instead of the others, the sail pattern and colour struck a chord with me. Hope this helps.

Inbetween Heaven and Earth, there are kites.
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 09:35 AM »

Elliot's Mesh comes in two versions; one that compares to the full vent and one that compares to the midvent. It's all based on "missing" surface area - hole vs mesh netting.
I own both a Shook Mesh and a Xtra Vent, I'd use them indifferent conditions, windy and Xtra windy. I have not flown my Xtra vent yet, however I did fly one last year at WSIKF. It was 20 plus and it flew like "butter", smooth on top of smooth. More like a STD with Race Rods in 4-6 winds. No over power, no oversteer, good control in reverse.
I have good time on my Shook Mesh, mostly in the high teens and low twenties. My first impression over a vented was that it too was smoother and had outstanding reverse. At the time I first started using the Mesh, I felt it was easier to fly than a Vented in the same winds.
I would not consider the Elliot Mesh to be flown when I will be flying my Xtra vent. Unless I decide how low of an MPH I can fly my extra vented with Green Race rods. I've flown my Elliot mesh with Race Rods in 12 mph.
Can a non-expert benefit from an Elliot Mesh or an Xtra vent - three words to be said about windy weather - Control, control, control.  That adds up to increased confidence and less flyer tension.

Toss this out on the Rev forum.
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 04:50 PM »

I haven't flown a Shook, but I have one of the Spanish "Arachnid"s (looks like a spider's web) which is also vented all the way across the sail.

The very noticable difference between the Arachnid and my Xtra Vent is the width of the wind window.  The Xtra Vent has a much wider window.  The Arachnid has slightly less pull in a given wind.

Prior to the Rev developing the Xtra Vent, I triple vented a vented 1.5 for strong winds by adding a third vent panel towards each side of the centre.  It was a huge improvement over the standard vent, but was still a bit twitchy in gusty winds.  When Xtra Vent came along it absolutely blew my hybrid away.  Bazzer really nailed it with the Xtra Vent design.  It behaves just like the others in the series when flown in its suggested wind range.

If you are regularly flying in wind that makes the standard vented Rev uncomfortable to handle, the Xtra Vent is well worth the investment!  I wouldn't be without one.

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
portlandflyer

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 10:40 AM »

Since I have all 3 "B" models - std, mid, vtd and an xtra vent, I can't give you a good lowest wind number - I switch out sails to match wind conditions or whatever team fliers are using most! Will you be able to feel a difference - FOR SURE! It will let you fly very comfortably in pretty high winds and maintain almost all the control Revs are known for!

I have borrowed a Shook mesh (100%) to try out, but it's top end is not what the xtra's is!! It is very light on your lines, almost feels like a Rev 2, compared to any of the "B"s! A very different "feel"!! If I had to guess, I'd put the Shook pretty close to the same rating, wind-wise, as a full vent, but not the equal of the xtra for top end!  IMHO!!
temoniprince
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 10:28 AM »

IMHO Grin I would go with a Shook! 100% mesh will fly super smooth really low. The extra vent is a nice kite but i think for 20+ only. Again MHO. Polos Vent is also nice but it deff rides differently then rev kites.   ALL in all i would get a MEsh by Shook!
REVflyer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 12:44 PM »

I own most of these things, but my high wind needs seldom go over 25-30 mph.  To me that is still a Shook mesh 100% with 4 wrap frame.  It can fly in low winds too, but you've paid for almost TWO pros by Bazzer.  It should fly in a larger window and wider wind range,... and it does!

Some like other kites, but I own 3 shook mesh kites and they are worth every penny to me.  You can get exactly what you desire if you know what that is,... like a custom car crafted by one individual.  All the love and care is packed in there tightly. 

There's a reason Eliot has sold over a hundred of these kites and it's not because the buyers didn't know any better.   Fly one yourself and see if it's not the best for your purposes!

I order mine with a custom leading edge sleeve, extra reinforcing patches and covers over the elastic knots (at the bottom, on the back of the sail so you can flick-flak w/o risk of entanglement).  Flying smiles kites also carries magic sticks and french bridle.  Again, a personal preference to be sure, but it fits me like a glove.  My guess is you will also become a fan of Shook's inventory.  French Bridle has more "legs" so the stress is spread out over a greater surface area.  There's zero play (no oversteer) in the bridle, so if the stock one holds the kite, then FB is arc-welded to the frame.  You might call it twitchy, to me though it's more responsive.

I travel around a lot, mostly east coast, if you ever want to try out or even do comparisons.  My kites couldn't be beaten any harder by you (than me) unless your goal was intentional damage.
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 04:41 PM »

...  French Bridle has more "legs" so the stress is spread out over a greater surface area.  There's zero play (no oversteer) in the bridle, so if the stock one holds the kite, then FB is arc-welded to the frame.  You might call it twitchy, to me though it's more responsive.

Yep, great precision with the FB.  Oh, but they are a b****r to exit from an axel

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 04:58 PM »

booger?

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Cyphert

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 01:03 AM »

whats a shook?
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 06:05 AM »

whats a shook?

probably referring to Elliot's weave
(image swiped from rev's site)

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Cyphert

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 03:27 AM »

What! That's awesome looking! Does it fly as good as it looks.
Sherman Myers
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 05:19 PM »

Does it fly as good as it looks.

It flies every bit as great as it looks. 

Sherman Myers
Westfield, NJ
portlandflyer

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 09:56 AM »

Matt - I've had one lent to me, so if the winds cooperate, I'll be glad to let you try it out at WSIKF! It's a 100%, they are also made in 75% and 40%! Talk at you there!!  Wink

wayne
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change