Getting into a mess... Yes I want an SUL... but which?

(1/7) > >>

Ara Ararauna:
Hi,

I know I'll regret this  ;) but I think I must ask for your advise...  ::)

I think it is time for me to get an SUL.

Acknowledging I have no idea on what to get, I fell in love with the Aura when I saw the trial video:
http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=9026.0
However, there is not even an approximate date of when it will be available and my birthday is in a month. (although if <highly> recommended I could actually wait...)

I was also thinking on getting a Talon SUL since I already have a UL. But, I don't really know why, I think I would like to have a different make...

I have been looking here and there and SUL's are really much more expensive that ULs so I have to be careful with budget!  :'(

Yesterday I saw the post on the open sourcing of the Essence SUL:
http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=7653.0
It looks also really nice and opinions are that it is very capable...
... and I kind of got into the mood of building it.
Unfortunately I have not enough time at the moment and I would have to wait until summer holidays in August  :( way too far into the future... (although if also <highly> recommended I could indeed wait...)

To add to my total disorientation, today I have learnt that many supposedly SUL models actually weigh the same as my Talon UL, so I don't understand how they can be SULs...

I think that having already the Talon UL I want to get a "REAL" SUL; in other words, one that is <really> for (almost) no wind.

I know SUL's need a different flying technique and very smooth flying. But this is something I like. I think I can be good at it. I like the elegance of the movements in the videos I've seen.

So any help, comments, suggestions, etc., will be enormously appreciated.

Cheers!

Gardner:
I got a Widow Maker UL.  Beautiful kite which I think you would like.

KaoS:
It really depends on what you want your kite to do. 

Many UL and SUL versions of recognised kites perform very well in lower winds but most of them give something away.  In a LOT of cases, it is harder to roll up or yo-yo a UL, and MUCH harder to roll up a SUL.  There are some exceptions to this rule.  I don't have first hand experience, but I understand the Talon SUL DOES roll up.

If you want a kite that will fly in lower wind than any other, a Skyburner ProDancer SUL is pretty much the benchmark... BUT it doesn't trick (at least not easily, and not like modern trick kites).  It has great precision, wonderful graceful turns, and pulls hard on the lines in next to no wind.  Coming very close to the PD is the smaller, more nimble HQ Shadow.  It has a very low bottom end, and it does a lot of tricks very well.  It is a very popular kite amongst GWTW contributers.  About the only thing it doesn't do easily is roll up.

Another thing to be aware of... one manufacturer's SUL doesn't necessarily fly in as low wind as another.  At least one kite I know of has a full range of Vented, Standard, Light, Ultra Light and SUL.  The SUL performs very well in much lighter wind than the UL, the UL in much lighter wind than the Light, and so on.  However, there are a number of SULs which will easily fly in lighter winds than one from this particular manufacturer.

So you need to be clear in your own mind what your major priority/objective is for the kite.  Feel free to ask a heap more questions  :)

trigger:
I called on the OCIUS SUL today.. there are a couple good videos of it also.. same pilot as the AURA :)   great flying DEVON!  and it's made by skyburner.

Ca Ike:
Quote from: KaoS on April 11, 2013, 05:18 PM

It really depends on what you want your kite to do. 

Many UL and SUL versions of recognised kites perform very well in lower winds but most of them give something away.  In a LOT of cases, it is harder to roll up or yo-yo a UL, and MUCH harder to roll up a SUL.  There are some exceptions to this rule.  I don't have first hand experience, but I understand the Talon SUL DOES roll up.

If you want a kite that will fly in lower wind than any other, a Skyburner ProDancer SUL is pretty much the benchmark... BUT it doesn't trick (at least not easily, and not like modern trick kites).  It has great precision, wonderful graceful turns, and pulls hard on the lines in next to no wind.  Coming very close to the PD is the smaller, more nimble HQ Shadow.  It has a very low bottom end, and it does a lot of tricks very well.  It is a very popular kite amongst GWTW contributers.  About the only thing it doesn't do easily is roll up.

Another thing to be aware of... one manufacturer's SUL doesn't necessarily fly in as low wind as another.  At least one kite I know of has a full range of Vented, Standard, Light, Ultra Light and SUL.  The SUL performs very well in much lighter wind than the UL, the UL in much lighter wind than the Light, and so on.  However, there are a number of SULs which will easily fly in lighter winds than one from this particular manufacturer.

So you need to be clear in your own mind what your major priority/objective is for the kite.  Feel free to ask a heap more questions  :)

Really good advice here.  Decide if its flippy stuff you want or just the ability to fly in a gnats fart and then we can start talking kites :P   Most all suls will do rotational tricks and some will get into the JL territory but few true suls will do the flippy stuff.  The SULs you see doing the flippy stuff I don't consider true suls when your talking needing at least 2 mph to fly them as thats more UL range.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page