GWTW Forum
November 22, 2014, 04:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solus std. updated  (Read 1474 times)
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: April 11, 2013, 09:33 AM »

Been trying to fly for over a week.  Bad bad weather.   :'( We had a window of no rain yesterday and I went for it. Tongue Tongue   The wind was high and becuase of the college behind there is a bad wall of dead air...

I kept the bad parts in...  Sad Sad Most of it was because of high wind... But some surprises.  Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

The Solus std. performed better with the changes.  The inputs were different.  The less I did the better it performed.  It didn't take long to get use to.  The wind was biggest trouble.  I have to say...The Kite is Really doing what it has for me in the past... Teaching me tricks.  Even in high wind tracking was spot on...

What do you think Tony ?? Devin ??

*** Kite was flown with a pair of Norm's California straps Now Available at Kites and Fun Things... check web site...

Solus std. Schoolcraft College

This was a few days ago in Backyard park...
Solus
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 03:16 PM by vertigo2u » Logged

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 09:45 AM »

Looking good Joe.  The inputs are definitely different.  THe smoother and lighter your inputs the better the kite will perform but you can change that by changing the standoffs to one of the other adjustment positions
vertigo2u

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 09:49 AM »

A did a number of bridle changes yesterday until I felt comfortable.  It works nicely.  The other day I almost hit the Jacob's... This kite is flying well in lousy wind.  Can't wait to get her to the Beach...

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Ca Ike

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 10:01 AM »

Let me know how it does in good beach wind since I don't have any close to me.  Beach wind can feel a lot stronger than the same mph inland.
vertigo2u

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 10:34 AM »

The beach wind I fly is like flying in Heaven itself.  If I get 5/6 mph gonna fly the stripes of this Solus...  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

p.s.- After I learn to hold a Fade for five minutes...

Ace
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 10:29 PM »

You mention high wind in your first video yet the Kite looks as if its barely capable of remaining airborne. There appears to be no drive in the sail. You later mention bridle mods. At your level you really shouldn't be messing with any bridles. The only advice I can offer is change it back to original. I doubt you know better than the designer. A small tweak in bridle lengths has massive implications on flight characteristics. Although some progression is evident from your earlier videos you're probably not where you should be given the amount of line time you have. I would hazard a guess that its due to all the unnecessary tweaking. Pick a kite and stick to it for several months and see what will happen.

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
Ca Ike

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 01:25 AM »

You mention high wind in your first video yet the Kite looks as if its barely capable of remaining airborne. There appears to be no drive in the sail. You later mention bridle mods. At your level you really shouldn't be messing with any bridles. The only advice I can offer is change it back to original. I doubt you know better than the designer. A small tweak in bridle lengths has massive implications on flight characteristics. Although some progression is evident from your earlier videos you're probably not where you should be given the amount of line time you have. I would hazard a guess that its due to all the unnecessary tweaking. Pick a kite and stick to it for several months and see what will happen.
The changes he's talking about are the changes me and the designers worked together to come up with which are still being finalized and the adjustments we have built in. WE added them to his kite and a few others we know to get a bit more feedback. WHen Joe talks about a bridle or standoff mod he means the built in adjustments and not something he made himself. He has also had his Solus and been flying it as long as I have so he knows the kite and how it feels from before and can tell the difference.  Thanks for the vids Joe. You get any wing tip shudder in those high winds? I can't tell from the angle.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 01:28 AM by Ca Ike » Logged
vertigo2u

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 07:19 AM »

The wind at the field really sucked that day.  What you can't see in the video is there is a building and a line of trees behind me as well as a whole college campus... Most of the video was shot on the widow edge.  The wind was blowing everything from the right to the left... Jon and I just stayed flying because it was the first time checking the adjustments he made.  Luckly I fly with the guy who built the kite and hand made the bridle... The kite is flying a whole lot better.  Just need a really nice beach day to know for sure. The weather here has been lousy.  Either warm and No wind or windy and cold.  I flew Sunday a while.  Started out with an Ul and went staight to a Std.  But Jon has the Solus right now... He wanted to extend the upper spreader an inch..
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 07:34 AM by vertigo2u » Logged

adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 07:34 AM »

Ace, yes the tinyest little thing can really screw with the kite yes, but give it a sec. As the designer that isn't around MI anymore, I can honestly tell you I do NOT like these changes and they don't make me feel comfortable in the slightest bit. But for some reason people like them. Not my ideal kite at all, but if people like them I guess thats fine. If thats that then I'm just gonna bite the bullet for me at least and do what the other flyers like. Check out the video of Alex Herzog flying it at KP for more accurate trick concepts and a borderline pro flyer. I will do a video too when I get back although I haven't flown (more then 3 times) in about a year. An Aura video as well. Just need to get back on the lines.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
vertigo2u

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 03:19 PM »

Devin is right in many ways.  The design works very well.  There may have been a mod during production that may have cuased a few input troubles.  However, this kite is Not a Widow Maker.  It flew differently and needed different inputs. 

What I have found after a couple trys.  The inputs are a bit easier.  It does feel now like a Widow Maker input.
 The wind was very high probably 12-14 mph.  The kite would die out on the left side window.  There is a building out of view right there.  I tried to stay there becuase of the wind turbulance.

The second orginal production model flew differently than this one.  I could roll her up ..spin her and unwrap her.  I didn't even know how to do it.  It just happen in higher wind.  I couldn't do it with this one. 

I believe it won't be a problem with the changes.  Ace may be right also.  Someone may have tweek the wrong gizmo... But it's being tweeked into shape.  Notice the Fades coming around (better wind and I may have a chat with Norm)... Also Cascades.. m Finally getting them together Cool Cool Cool .... Been working it for awhile now.  Cool Cool The Solus put it together.  Maybe 10 more flying hours I may have it.  Jon T has my Solus right now. 

Still lousy wind to try Wayne's Talon ul... Will not fly her in lousy wind or lousy ground cover.   Soft Grass ... Lips sealed Lips sealed ( not to confused with Colorado or Washington  Undecided Undecided)...

Devin can fly anything with a carbon rod and string.  The orginal model had his inputs.  My sense is when he fly's it.  He'll love it. Tongue Tongue  'Cause it may be were he Orginally had the kite set up .... This Mystery  Huh Huh Huh ???will be solved.

Ca Ike

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 05:20 PM »

There are a couple things that showed up that neither Devin or I like that I'm trying to work out now.  As to the original feel of the original set up, that is still there and the reason for making the standoff positions adjustable.  Devin can have his really tricky more unstable set up and guys like Mark Lummas can have a more stable precision set up or it can be in between. The bridle is the same in geometry just shorter all around for a bit less input lag and smoother inputs which may feel a bit mushy to some since you don't have to snap the inputs but just guide and fly the kite through a trick.

There is some wing tip chatter that is happening in rough storm type winds and gusty winds of 12 mph+ that may cause spreader failure that needs to be fixed before these changes get out.  When you fly again Joe watch out to see if its happening on your kite. I'm already testing a potential fix for this.
vertigo2u

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 06:20 PM »

I can already answer that... Yes.. I didn't have video.  Felt like I was flying across a bumpy road. Also some noise.. Bbrrrrrrr sound... But that was the day I flew in my Backyard park... Last week was just havoc... Watch Jon in background trying to fly ... Just nasty day.  I guess thats why they call this an addiction Huh  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum