GWTW Forum
April 23, 2014, 12:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A little time lapse  (Read 1254 times)
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: April 15, 2013, 07:58 PM »

Not as good as some I've seen... but not terrible and semi humorous to watch.  For your viewing pleasure and a small idea of a Sixth Sense build.

https://vimeo.com/64039475
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 06:54 AM by sugarbaker » Logged
kitebug
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 08:39 PM »

that was very Cool!

Was that a glue stick you used for the panels? does that affect your needle when sewing?

Volando!
Cisco
dihongshao2000
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 08:53 PM »

Wow, that is very impressive Stephen.  You have a system in place for kite making.  Appreciate very much for sharing with all of us.  Dihong
Gardner

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 10:28 PM »

I'm very impressed.  You made kite building look so easy, but Im certain it isn't
coogee
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 11:37 PM »

That was fun. Great to see the process in that way and it was a bit comic.
 Mike
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 01:42 AM »

Thanks.

It's one of the few kite related videos that Bambi watched with me.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 06:17 AM »

Wow!
So one can build a whole new kite from scratch in just over 9 minutes!?!?   Shocked

So this will make prices really go down, won't it?
 Smiley

Joking aside, I really like the video and the music (especially the first and last).
It is a great thing to watch and anyone flying a kite should watch it to appreciate what a kite really is.
I think you should put subtitles telling what you are doing at each main point so that people that have never built a kite get the sense of steps and order of construction.
Also for those like me that have already built one kite, it would be very helpful for future builds.
Of course you have some really nice secrets hidden there. For example the nice system to cut the frames.

Thanks for making this video and showing it!  Smiley

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 06:22 PM »

Thanks Sugar... Really good video.  Great learning experience...  You have talent and a gift.  You use them well...

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 04:55 AM »

What are you using as weights? Those are not just hockey puck are they?

Well done.....good build and good video!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
sugarbaker

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 12:55 PM »

The weights are from Rockler wood working supply and called "bench cookies".  They actually aren't that heavy at all, but have a soft rubber grip material on either side.  It's just enough to weight to keep fabric from sliding.  When laid across the seem, it grips both panels pretty well and prevents sliding.  I still have to be careful.  I wouldl like them more if they were slightly heavier, but it does the job. 
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 01:03 PM »

The weights are from Rockler wood working supply and called "bench cookies".  They actually aren't that heavy at all, but have a soft rubber grip material on either side.  It's just enough to weight to keep fabric from sliding.  When laid across the seem, it grips both panels pretty well and prevents sliding.  I still have to be careful.  I wouldl like them more if they were slightly heavier, but it does the job. 

Hmmmm..i like them....i was thinking of drilling out some hockey pucks and loading them for some weights like that......

When you did three strips of double sided tape on the inside of the LE strip you have two thinner strips at the edges and then do you have one more wider strip in the center?   what is the purpose of having three strips (i understand of course the purpose of the outermost two).

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
mikeb
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 01:11 PM »

Nice Video, I enjoyed watching it.
sugarbaker

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 05:53 PM »

When you did three strips of double sided tape on the inside of the LE strip you have two thinner strips at the edges and then do you have one more wider strip in the center?   what is the purpose of having three strips (i understand of course the purpose of the outermost two).

The third strip resides on what is the back half of the sail, but near the fold.  This is the first strip I adhere... As it helps line th leading edge up exactly with the curve of the sail.  It also prevents folding or bunching of the fabrics.  For kites like the sixth sence, that have a relatively straight leading edge, this is not as big of a deal.  On the other hand, a kite with a significant curve would benefit more. I do it on all my kites out of habit. 
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 03:55 PM »

Great video Stephen!

You WEREN'T cutting the spars without safety glasses were you?   Huh
How about a particle mask?   Sad

We'd like to keep you around building your fab kites, you know?   Grin

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
sugarbaker

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 05:23 PM »

you caught me Jim!  And even worse, I don't think I had a cup of coffee that morning (still in my pajamas!). 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography