GWTW Forum
October 26, 2014, 01:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best way to install leech line and spine tension system?  (Read 1784 times)
Lou
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: April 16, 2013, 03:21 PM »

Can anyone please help me understand how this leech line tensioner setup is installed on kites.   A step by step would be great.  I would love to learn how to install a leech line and tensioner that doesn't require me tying up the end lines at the LE caps as shown in the Tom's Le Quartz build instructional.  I would think this setup below, the leech line is sewn in at the wing tips.  I just don't seem to understand how the lines are coming out at the lower spine and up to the bungie properly.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 04:10 PM by Spectra Sport 96 » Logged
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 05:32 PM »

ITs no different than the usual idea.  The leech line is sewn at the wing tip in the lashing loop or tied to the nock.  THe trailing edge reinforcement is left open at the tail and the lines are crossed over the tail nock then larks headed to the bungie.
Lou

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 06:09 PM »

Thanks! I figured it might have been crossed over the nock but without an actual kite to reference the images eluded to this but wasn't exactly clear.  There are so many different methods to build the same kite its incredible.  So many great ideas!
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 06:15 PM »

Yep right wing leech line crossed and tied to the left bungie, etc.  ITs debatable which way works better but this way is cleaner and you don't risk breaking the leech line as you wear on the wing tip nocks.
Lou

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 07:47 PM »

Yep right wing leech line crossed and tied to the left bungie, etc.  ITs debatable which way works better but this way is cleaner and you don't risk breaking the leech line as you wear on the wing tip nocks.

Any techniques or tricks to cleanly sew the leech line into the wing tip?
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 02:00 PM »

This is how i did it on my Sixth Sense UL, but I have to add that I was just copying Sugarbaker's tricks on the Sixth Sense STD he build me.
It is the leechline and loop in one. Leechline with a bungiecord from tail to centrecross.

Krijn
photogbill

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 02:52 PM »

I hope I'm not too late to help you but I use a 'Plastic' Sewing Needle to 'slide' my leech lines through the TE of the kite AFTER the TE strip is sewn onto the TE. It works great and avoids damaging anything & a lot easier than trying to put the leech line inside the TE strip before sewing & hoping you don't sew over top of the leech line. Just make sure you don't sew your TE strip too close to the TE. You need to leave room for the plastic sewing needle with the leech line to be slid through the TE strip.

You just work the 'needle' through the TE strip pocket with  your thumbnail!

You can purchase them at JoAnn's Fabrics Stores.
Here's a link to the item: http://www.joann.com/plastic-sewing-needles-2-pkg/xprd1144630/

They look like this:
Lou

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 06:32 PM »

Hmmm.. didn't realize Dritz had that in plastic.  I'll be grabbing that tomorrow, thanks!
photogbill

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 07:28 PM »

Hmmm.. didn't realize Dritz had that in plastic.  I'll be grabbing that tomorrow, thanks!

Your welcome! LIke I mentioned ...you need to thread the leech line (i use 50# bridle line for mine) in the eylet leaving plentso it doesn't pull out while your sliding it through the TE tunnel!

I hold the trailing edge and kinda pinch the back of the eyelet to inch the needle thru the tunnel ...once it's inside. because it's plastic ...it slides fairly easy.

Good luck and Glad I could help!
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 04:55 PM »

They are tapestry needles. Even the metal ones have a blunt, rounded tip.  Ideal for this work... and splicing braided line... and sleeving flying lines...

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change