GWTW Forum
September 16, 2014, 10:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cuben Fibre  (Read 1848 times)
WolvenX
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: May 11, 2013, 03:29 AM »

Has anyone had any experience with Cuben Fibre when making a kite sail.  I know Airdynamics uses it on the T5 Cuben Zero Kite

According to the info it's incredibly light and incredibly strong.  See info below:

This is the lightest wt. outdoor fabric we have ever seen.  It is 50% lighter than Kevlar, four times more durable than Kevlar and lasts as long as Spectra and remarkable weighs less than 1/2 oz. per square yard.  It flexes without loosing strength.   Cuben Fiber is a laminated fabric constructed from plasma treated Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMWPE)  fibers and monofilament polyester film.  Cuben Fiber retains 100% of its original strength after being folded 250 times.  It is not effected by salt water nor does it soak up water.  It has great UV resistance and is extremely water resistant.

Specs for kite sails are:  54" .33oz - $29.95 per yard  Info from "Quest Outfitters" USA

Not the most aesthetically pleasing stuff but for a SUL frame it would be awesome!  Smiley

You can either fly or die, personally I'll fly!!!

Kites: x2 Jazz; x2 Microns; Quantum; Zephyr; Ozone; Alien; Illusion 2K; E2; E3; Redback (hold the line Kites); Silver Fox (vented) Talon & Iridium on the way !!!
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 07:38 AM »

If you search the forum you will find a bunch of threads on the stuff....
forum member ae, ceewan, doug c, and others have made kites out of the stuff.... (definitely find the threads on here by ae about his super extra ultra light dual line with the stuff!)

kite makers who use it:
Windfire Designs (Tim Eleverston and Ruth Whiting use oil paint on their fantastic designs)
Patrick Tan has made a iFlite out of Cuben Fiber
Karl Longbottom is working with it on a couple of test platforms
Focus Designs (Paul DeBakker and Hunter Brown) used Cuben on a couple super fancy kites

Looks like there are a handful of kite surfing kites use cuben fiber in them as well...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
John Welden
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 11:24 AM »

It's incredible stuff.

It comes in quite a few weights/styles.  The lightest stuff is easily strong enough for an SUL.
dayhiker

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 06:47 PM »

Super ultra light back packers use equipment made of this fabric.  This can allow total pack weights of under 5 pounds. This would include the pack, shelter, sleep system, rain gear & stuff sacks.  It's a bit pricey.  Many conventional packs weigh more than that just for the pack.

"Well him & my uncle tore that engine down
 I still remember that rumblin' sound"   Steve Earle
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 07:09 AM »

I do use cuben extensively, i will be happy to answer any question you have.
Doug S

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 02:30 PM »

I am using the light Cuben (Quest Outfitters ID:  0.33 oz./sq.yd.) on small single line kites.  Very pleased with it so far.  If you are careful, you can hot cut the material.  I have sewn the material and added reinforcements to it with no problems.  More durable that you would think for its weight, but you still can make a hole between the fibers if you are not careful.

In my weight measurements, PC-31 (light ripstop polyester) weighs approximately 1.13 oz./sq.yd., depending on color.  The indicated Cuben weighs only 0.414 oz./sq.yd., with it being only 37% of the weight of PC-31.  For me, the price is worth the reduction in the sail weight.

Doug Stout

"We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public."
ae

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 05:12 PM »

You don't need to hot cut cuben at all, and with the 0.33z i would also suggest strongly against sewing it.
3M 9460 VHB double sided tape to glue the pieces together. The glued seem is stronger then the fabric itself and since you are using the lightest material on the market, also lighter then sewing it.
Doug S

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 01:57 PM »

I prefer to sew the Cuben because one miss alignment with double sided tape, and you have lost a very expensive piece of sail material.  I do use small pieces of double sided tape to hold reinforcements in place for the sewing.  Please note that I am making very small (12 in. wing span) no/low wind kites that when completed only weigh 1.0 gram.  I have found that sewing with a straight stitch is lighter than using the double sided tape.  For this type of kite, I use various types of reinforcements, such as Dacron, ripstop nylon and Teflon tape.

Doug

ae

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 04:26 PM »

Doug,
yeah ok, for such tiny kits sewing is perfectly fine. Gluing is more for normal size kites or kites that have some sail preasure.
Doug S

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 05:15 AM »

ae,

How large a kite have you constructed using the lightest Cuben material and what has your experience been regarding the upper wind speed?  I am thinking of purchasing more of the Cuben material to build one of my Raperes and maybe a moderate size stunt kite for no/low wind conditions.  I have flown my 12 in. single line Hawk (only 48 sq.in. of sail area) in winds up to 8 mph.  This was to see the durability of the materials, which winds were way past the intended upper range of the design (0 to 4 mph).  Both the Cuben sail material and the carbon frame held up with no problems.  It was quite entertaining to fly the Hawk in moderate winds.

Doug

ae

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 05:27 AM »

Doug,

the largest so far is my Spectre XUL with 98" wingspan and around 1550 sq inch area.
The sail holds up without any problem to 8mph, haven't tested it further since then the frame starts to deform to much Smiley
Doug S

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 09:28 AM »

ae,

That is great news.  Time to build one of my Bird of Prey stunt kites with a really light frame from Jon T.  More projects in the work shop.

Doug

ae

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 09:39 AM »

Looking forward to that build Smiley

How light of a frame we are talking?

My lightest Spectre is 66grams, 2.32 ounces for 98 inch wing span.
John Welden

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 10:38 AM »

Ae,

What are the lightest sticks you can buy for a full size sport kite? Where do you get them?

Thanks
John
ae

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 03:34 PM »

Lightest you still can get are Avia Breeze II at 6grams for a conical stick.
Next up are SkyShark ZeroAir at 7-8grams, depending on the batch ...
Steve can fix you up with them.

My lightest sticks are 4.8grams, custom made Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document