GWTW Forum
July 23, 2014, 03:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with LED flashlight circuit design  (Read 6044 times)
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2013, 12:39 PM »

Titanium can be acid etched also if that's what Nancy was referring to, it comes out in nice rainbows & unicorn colors. Almost any metal can be treated with the right acids to achieve differing colors. One of our favorite jewelry makers use of the processes to make some very unique industrial/steampunk type stuff.

I thought acid-etching titanium, actually ... well, etched the metal and changed the texture.  Whereas, heating the titanium resulted in an oxide layer with differing refractive indexes that resulted in color change.

ATB,
Sam
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2013, 12:43 PM »

John:

Have you figured out how the light is going to be activated and if it will have multiple modes?  Rechargeable or primary battery?

Thread veer:

Waaaay too spendy, but more than a little geek/nerd lust for

Would like to see a sleeker version that could operate on rechargeables and primaries while being operated one-handed.

ATB,
Sam
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 10:01 PM »

The etching I've been doing is for textures using ferric chloride (get it at Radio Shack) - it's what they use to etch circuit boards. I don't know much about colorizing titanium, except that people are anodizing it with some combo of phosphoric acid (cola (cleans toilets too!)), batteries, wires. Googling should begat some good tutorials.

Loving John's projects,

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
John Welden
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2013, 08:35 AM »

John:

Have you figured out how the light is going to be activated and if it will have multiple modes?  Rechargeable or primary battery?

I haven't figured out anything other than It might be cool to make an understated - low profile ring with a light in it.  Hopefully I'll find the time and motivation to get it worked out.  Ill let you guys know what I come up with. I really appreciate my kite community friends being supportive of my projects.  Thanks.
B. Hunter

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2013, 03:09 PM »

Those particular type of LED's they rarely list voltage for.  They are more than likely .3v or less and can handle up to 12v.  THose are what you usually see in TVs or on comp boards as indicator led flashlights so they can handle a good voltage range.

Yes there are many of them out there. Little child's are creating beauty things with the help those available LEDS.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 08:24 AM by B. Hunter » Logged
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2013, 09:30 AM »

John,
have you seen this, a titantium ring with leds
http://www.kokes.net/projectlonghaul/projectlonghaul.htm

Sine Metu!
John Welden

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2013, 09:32 AM »

John,
have you seen this, a titantium ring with leds
http://www.kokes.net/projectlonghaul/projectlonghaul.htm

Yeah, I saw that.  Looks really cool.

I want mind to be battery powered.
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2013, 08:35 AM »

Titanium can be anodized using a variety of solvents combined with specific voltages applied across the piece...to give very specific colors.  It is a fine art, but not difficult.  There are many many youtube videos.  The trick is how to get +24V across the ring?  The best answer is linking 9V batteries, unless you have a variable output DC box.  Many colors are accessible if you have the V range.

Your ring idea has been tried many many times in various forms.  I am one of those Flashaholics on CPF, and I have a few lights.  I have also made a few modifications, etc.  So I am vaguely familiar with the basics of LED lights.

Your main issue is the battery.  A battery claiming a 90mAh capacity is going to likely have significantly less than that, as all batteries are overrated.  And even if, 90mA is a one shot show...then you need to change or charge the battery.

By the way, how are you doing that?  Are you really going to change batteries in a ring?

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
John Welden

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2013, 11:50 AM »

By the way, how are you doing that?  Are you really going to change batteries in a ring?

I don't know. Maybe it won't work out.
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2013, 12:38 PM »

But maybe it will work out,  right?  With your machining capabilities, a screw-top would be possible... or maybe some kind of hinge.

Possibilities.  I love them so.

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
John Welden

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2013, 06:54 PM »

But maybe it will work out,  right?  With your machining capabilities, a screw-top would be possible... or maybe some kind of hinge.

Possibilities.  I love them so.

Right.

Once I know how small the batteries and electrical parts can be, I can figure out if I can get them into a ring design I like.  We'll see...
DwayneScott

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2013, 12:26 AM »

I'm sort of toying with the idea of fitting a tiny LED into a ring that you'd wear on your finger. I've found miniature hearing aid type batteries and an LED small enough to fit inside a ring.

From what I know, all you need is battery, resistor and led lights to make light.

The batteries I found are in the 50 to 100 mA-hrs range. I don't really understand what milliamp hours means for what I want to do other than bigger is better.

I don't understand what the resistor is for or how big it needs to be. Do they make miniature resistors? How do you figure out which one you need?

I found small enough LEDs to fit in a ring.
Examples:
http://tinyurl.com/cwu4d8c
http://tinyurl.com/bqlbqyf

I don't understand the luminous intensity rating.  Is 90 enough to do anything useful? I don't expect this thing to put out a lot of light, but hopefully enough to like read text on a page or something. Hopefully the battery(s) could last more than a joke amount of time?

I have no idea what I'm doing, just trying to learn. I know a lot of you guys are engineers and tinker types that probably know this stuff.

Thanks for your time. Sorry if I'm on crack for thinking this could work.  All I know is that some people would sh*t themselves if they could have cool flashlight ring that provided enough light to be useful.  As far as making the ring and cramming all the crap inside, no prob, I can do that.  I want the light to shine  parallel to your finger if you were pointing and not straight up.

Were you able to design the flashlight circuit? I need to get one for my lights but have less knowledge about circuits..Please share a simple process of designing circuit..
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 09:54 AM by DwayneScott » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document