GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 08:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ground-bound Side Slide  (Read 4084 times)
JayDee
Trade Count: (0)

« on: April 23, 2013, 08:15 PM »

I put together a short video to address Ara's question in the Solus Trailer thread:

For this trick, do the following:
1. Find a place with absolutely, perfectly smooth ground, with nothing around to snag the wing tips.
2. Bring the kite to launch position.
3. Move one wingtip a little closer towards you.  The kite will move in that direction.
4. Apply gentle pull, taking care not to end up in a dead launch position.
5. Maintain even tension throughout the slide.

The hardest part is actually item 1.  I did not even know this move was possible at all, until I moved to Nova Scotia and happened to find a very flat beach that is smoothened by each high tide.

Ground-Bound Side Slide

Sorry about the poor quality of some clips.  For illustrative purposes, I compiled every bit of footage I had showing the ground slide.  The sequence between 1:08 and 1:22 shows how to initiate the slide.  It also demonstrates what happens when so much as the slightest "speed bump" is present  Undecided

Frequent Fliers: Talon Std, UL and Vtd, Widow Maker Std and UL, Solus Std, Widow (modded), ATM SUL, Duende Std
Rarely flown: Exile UL, Zephyr, E2, Ozone, Micron, Quantum
JayDee

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 08:28 PM »

Uh-oh.  This is embarrassing!

Imagine the first instance of "Title Text Here" reads: "Ground-bound Side Slide", and the second one: "You can Do It!".  For a reason only electrons, bits and bytes will ever understand, this reverted back to the defaults, and I did not realize it until everything was uploaded and linked.  Sometimes I _do hate computers!_   Embarrassed

Frequent Fliers: Talon Std, UL and Vtd, Widow Maker Std and UL, Solus Std, Widow (modded), ATM SUL, Duende Std
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 12:46 AM »

Really nice!
I very much like the little jumps the kite makes in the sequence you mention starting at 1:08.  Huh
I have one flying spot where I can try that. So next time I will definitely do so  Tongue

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 06:22 AM »

Great sliodes and nice video to watch.  Nice ground control of the kite...

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 06:34 AM »

btw:  Jay you really fly well.  I only wish I was as good.  One day if I keep working.  Your video of the slide will have me working at another trick. 

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
JayDee

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 07:26 PM »

btw:  Jay you really fly well.  I only wish I was as good.  One day if I keep working.  Your video of the slide will have me working at another trick. 

Looking at the progress you are making, it can't be all that long!  Your videos remind me of where I was not too long ago.  My video editing skills at present still exceed my flying skills   Cool

Try a Talon Standard when the winds are a tad higher than what you have seen lately.  Much easier to learn a move in normal winds and then transfer it to a UL kite in a low breeze.  The only thing that very low (and very high) winds have taught me was kite control.  I do not recall learning a single _trick_ in extreme conditions.

alien

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 03:35 AM »

Hot stuff,
Never seen better sliding than that,it almost looks like its faked you know,like the moon landings!.I dont know why but it reminds me of the moon and landing craft,best ever flying and first time ive ever seen this as i am new to sport,BRILLIANT!Wish there was footage of what you where doing at your end to give me an idea how to attempt this incredible move,or is this another hoax? Incredible stuff,ive watched it 10 times over!
JayDee you is "THE" best pilot ever.
  THE MOON WALK ,by JD
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 09:53 AM by alien » Logged
drmndrew82
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 10:20 AM »

I flew my new WM at the Morro Bay festival this last weekend and my friends and I were trying this ground slide out. It looks really nice on the beach. Thanks for the post and the video, I never would have thought of that. I also was doing some combinations, but unfortunately I didn't record any video. Sad I was doing a descending side slide to ground slide (continuous sliding) and then end the ground slide with an axle take off with the opposite hand that you are pulling for the slide. It was looking pretty cool. Next time I get to a beach I will try to record a video.

Kite Bag: Skyburner: Widowmaker Std & UL/ I-Nak, HQ: Shadow, Flying Wings: Silver Fox 2.3 UL , Blue Moon: Mongoose, ITW: Kymera, Rev: (2) 1.5 SLE / 1.5 SLE Vented, Baressi Signature Vented, Kite Related Design: Fury UL, Fury STD, Fury Vented
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 10:42 AM »

I think its funny that for years this was something  you avoided at all costs cause you didn't want the kite to move at all if it was on the ground as part of a routine and now people are trying to learn how to do it.
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 01:05 PM »

using dorsal caps help wear and tear on nocks too

Sine Metu!
John Welden

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 03:30 PM »

Hot stuff,
Never seen better sliding than that,it almost looks like its faked you know,like the moon landings!.I dont know why but it reminds me of the moon and landing craft,best ever flying and first time ive ever seen this as i am new to sport,BRILLIANT!Wish there was footage of what you where doing at your end to give me an idea how to attempt this incredible move,or is this another hoax? Incredible stuff,ive watched it 10 times over!
JayDee you is "THE" best pilot ever.
  THE MOON WALK ,by JD

Dude, you can do it no problem. It might even happen without trying.  Just pull one wing of the kite towards you a little and it will take off like a sail boat.
drmndrew82
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 03:40 PM »

I think its funny that for years this was something  you avoided at all costs cause you didn't want the kite to move at all if it was on the ground as part of a routine and now people are trying to learn how to do it.

Why wouldn't you want the kite to move on the ground during a routine? Just a little confused. I thought groundwork has been done for years... Do you mean you didn't want your kite to slide across the ground like in the video?

Kite Bag: Skyburner: Widowmaker Std & UL/ I-Nak, HQ: Shadow, Flying Wings: Silver Fox 2.3 UL , Blue Moon: Mongoose, ITW: Kymera, Rev: (2) 1.5 SLE / 1.5 SLE Vented, Baressi Signature Vented, Kite Related Design: Fury UL, Fury STD, Fury Vented
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 05:33 PM »

Why wouldn't you want the kite to move on the ground during a routine? Just a little confused. I thought groundwork has been done for years... Do you mean you didn't want your kite to slide across the ground like in the video?
Talking about the slide itself.  If you landed or were doing ground work you wanted the kite to stay where you landed it or you got dinged.  The grounded slide could put you in a part of the grid you shouldn't be in.  Mainly an issue for precision.
alien

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 02:33 AM »

Oh man,
it aint easy being green but i fluked a cartwheel along the ground in the mist of the how to do the SLIDEWALK confusion, if i caught it on video you would think it was JD on the strings-for a split second.
My Hypnotist needed a good freshwater shower after i finally got it to slide (downhill was my only success) into a 3 foot shore dump and it got hammered by a few more until i removed my phone,sunnies and decided to dive in  before it was another victim of Davey Jones Locker! Anyone else had a Swim of Shame?
A Tricky trick that looks so good cant be easy to learn. Cry
Hey JayDee,throw in a cartwheel along the ground and continue sliding or even multiple cartwheels to slidewalks.
John Welden,yes it does exactly as you described ,its mad i love it.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 07:18 AM by alien » Logged
JayDee

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 08:23 AM »

Well, I have not had the chance to do a swim of shame, but I lost the occasional spar with a kite caught in the backwash.  Standoffs are usually the first parts to give.  One time, my E2 was heavily beat up when the wind got flicked off while the kite hovered over dramatic surf...

Pleased to hear you like the move so much.  But I got to agree with John W.:  It is really not rocket science!  Just follow the five simple steps in my thread-starting post, and the kite should do it almost by itself.  If you end up in a cartwheel, that suggests you did not follow item #1:  The ground needs to be smooth, so as to not snag the wingtips.  Hard-packed sand is perfect.  Dry, fluffy stuff will be a lot more difficult.  Ice would be perfect.

DD is making a good point regarding the end caps:  Not only will they protect your wingtip nocks, but they further help reducing friction.  Depending on style and orientation of the wingtip nocks, they may tend to snag.  Not sure what the Hypnotist looks like in this area.  All kites in the video do have end caps.

As for the discussion on whether or not it is a desirable move:  I can see how the ground slide does not fit in with old-school routines.  As long as the motion is controlled, though, I do not think the groundslide is something undesirable, and it definitely has a place in freestyle flying.  It does look cool, and it does tend to look fake Tongue

I am pleased to hear my video has sparked off interest enough to get a few people try it out in Morro Bay.  Looking forward to drmdrew82's video  Cool

Talking about combinations: I captured a dead-launch-to-ground-slide with my Solus the other day.  Will post the video on occasion.  Stay tuned.

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change