GWTW Forum
December 22, 2014, 06:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ground-bound Side Slide  (Read 4661 times)
John Welden
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2013, 10:50 AM »

JD, you should be honored to receive one of Anthony's (Ike) kaboshes- he usually only does it to someone who has done something really cool in order to knock 'em down a peg or two.

JW, please don't start the  "what a REAL side slide is" war again. Maybe asking to see video of a ten-minute tipstand would be better, tho in 17mph winds maybe not all that big a deal, eh? Your post with the encouraging bit of helpfulness was perfect - more of that kind of thing would be so cool to see around here.

I don't remember any wars about side slides? I sort of remember commenting about kind of a cheat side slide where you start on the edge of the window and then walk/run along with the kite and keep it in the sweet spot. I can't remember exactly how it's done. Maybe you sort of stall on the edge of the window and then walk down wind while holding the stall. It's a stall that moves down wind and appears to be side sliding. Look mom, I'm side sliding!

I just wanted to see videos with good side slides. Not many people put them in their videos anymore.
JayDee

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2013, 11:14 AM »

Do you have a video link to his virtuoso side slides?  I really like side slides.

Follow the link to Rob's YouTube channel, conveniently located in his signature.  There is one video called -- who would have guessed -- "Side Slides", and the Snow Devil vid has quite a bit of sliding in it, too.  There may be more.

JD isn't the first to do this move and stating a point is not a kabosh since I'm not trying to end it or put a stop to it.  I can say the same thing about a few other mistakes that are now considered tricks.

And I never claimed I was.  The first (and only) time I saw a ground slide was in a video showing a Cosmic TC on the North Sea coast.  The only thing betraying that it was not fake was a small twitching towards the end of the move.  Unfortunately, that video does not seem to be online anywhere.  I think I have a local copy if anyone is interested.

For those who like ground work:  In another scene in that video, the kite walks across the frame.  Looks way cool, even though I am convinced there is a hardcore flier out there who might disapprove.  And for the purists amongst us, I seem to recall a few pretty swift, yet stable side slides, too.

Frequent Fliers: Talon Std, UL and Vtd, Widow Maker Std and UL, Solus Std, Widow (modded), ATM SUL, Duende Std
Rarely flown: Exile UL, Zephyr, E2, Ozone, Micron, Quantum
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2013, 11:16 AM »

Watching and following this thread.  Only thing I can say is Jonh Weldon knows "slides".  I have been trying for most of the spring to improve my slide.  I have never forgotten post by John explaining the slide and some Tech. to do it.  I also know it's his Favorite trick if I am correct.  I hate doing 504's ten feet or above.  The lower the better.  I took that from John a couple years ago.  I even try Norm's AVFFF at low altitude.

I don't know who is right or wrong... I just like John's attitude and if you have followed him for some years he gives some great advise... Thanks John.

p.s.-  This is not to dispute others on this thread that I respect and read daily... Tony your some one I hold in High regards... as I  do others. I just like John's input on Slides ...
 To me Slides are just smooth and cool...

« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 11:19 AM by vertigo2u » Logged

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
JayDee

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2013, 11:29 AM »

JayDee,
That is a BONUS video and in the last cut you proved that you are one of us ,"humanoid"
Hmm, SOL standard looks appealing, attractive and easy to fly Cry I wish.
Sweet flying.keep em coming they are addictive viewing, new and very different from every other video that i watch over and over every night of the week(there arent enough anyways) and the location looks like Kite paradise!

Glad you like the vids and pleased if you can learn something from them.  That visual kite paradise is plagued by pretty lousy winds most of the time, though.  I have seen gusty 20 knots to zero and back in half an hour, as well as 180 degree turns in 10 minutes.  Most of the time, I have two or three different kites with lines ready, so I can switch quickly.  During the half year I have been here in Nova Scotia, I may have seen smooth kiting winds maybe three times  Sad

It does teach me, though:  Being able to fly in poor conditions makes you even better when the winds are favorable every once in a while.

Frequent Fliers: Talon Std, UL and Vtd, Widow Maker Std and UL, Solus Std, Widow (modded), ATM SUL, Duende Std
Rarely flown: Exile UL, Zephyr, E2, Ozone, Micron, Quantum
John Welden

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2013, 11:35 AM »

Do you have a video link to his virtuoso side slides?  I really like side slides.

Follow the link to Rob's YouTube channel, conveniently located in his signature.  There is one video called -- who would have guessed -- "Side Slides", and the Snow Devil vid has quite a bit of sliding in it, too.  There may be more.

JD isn't the first to do this move and stating a point is not a kabosh since I'm not trying to end it or put a stop to it.  I can say the same thing about a few other mistakes that are now considered tricks.

And I never claimed I was.  The first (and only) time I saw a ground slide was in a video showing a Cosmic TC on the North Sea coast.  The only thing betraying that it was not fake was a small twitching towards the end of the move.  Unfortunately, that video does not seem to be online anywhere.  I think I have a local copy if anyone is interested.

For those who like ground work:  In another scene in that video, the kite walks across the frame.  Looks way cool, even though I am convinced there is a hardcore flier out there who might disapprove.  And for the purists amongst us, I seem to recall a few pretty swift, yet stable side slides, too.

Thanks.  Those are Good lookin smooth slides.  Nice to see old school stuff like that once in a while.
John Welden

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2013, 11:52 AM »

Watching and following this thread.  Only thing I can say is Jonh Weldon knows "slides".  I have been trying for most of the spring to improve my slide.  I have never forgotten post by John explaining the slide and some Tech. to do it.  I also know it's his Favorite trick if I am correct.  I hate doing 504's ten feet or above.  The lower the better.  I took that from John a couple years ago.  I even try Norm's AVFFF at low altitude.

I don't know who is right or wrong... I just like John's attitude and if you have followed him for some years he gives some great advise... Thanks John.

p.s.-  This is not to dispute others on this thread that I respect and read daily... Tony your some one I hold in High regards... as I  do others. I just like John's input on Slides ...
 To me Slides are just smooth and cool...

Thanks dude, glad I could help a little.

The only way I could get good at side slides is to have done them about a million times.  It's funny how its such a simple trick, but can be so hard. I think to do good side slides isn't all that hard.  To do great side slides can be really hard, especially in crap wind.  Low altitude, no wobble, smooth, slow and a nice long arc that comes all the way across the window.

Weather is supposed to be nice this weekend. I'm going flyin!
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2013, 12:06 PM »

Thanks.  Those are Good lookin smooth slides.  Nice to see old school stuff like that once in a while.

Good answer John! Grin

Joe, I agree... JW is the best when he's teaching (and at his metalwork!). I still haven't seen him flying because I can't find any of his videos, but I continue to look. I do believe he's as amazing at that as Chilese says.

Anyway, JD had fun doing something really cool - both the tricky stuff and the video production. Awesome for someone like myself who only has aspirations at this point.

Drew had a ball doing something new, for him. He was excited, as I was for him. No need to take away from that.

Rob does wonderful videos and is one of the kindest people on the planet and I just don't want to see him dragged into any "discussions" that have the potential for bad feelings.

The upshot is that this thread has veered off into left field. It began with all good intentions, fun, and a load of teaching. It would be great to keep it going in that direction.

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2013, 12:15 PM »

Enjoy.

A Vapor Video by John Welden

6 kite tom
madhabitz

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2013, 12:23 PM »

Thanks Tom Smiley

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
John Welden

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2013, 12:49 PM »

John C is my biggest and only fan, lol.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2013, 12:59 PM »

Standoffs can take a beating.

JW, I worship the ground you float above.  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 01:02 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
madhabitz

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2013, 01:45 PM »

Just watched the video of John. Exquisite. Add Queen to the mix and it rocks. Thanks again for the link.

Nancy
P.S. I now know why I hadn't been able to find the videos before: you gotta spell his name correctly.   Cry Turns out it's "en," not "on." oops.

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2013, 05:34 PM »

John C is my biggest and only fan, lol.
Biggest yea I'll bow to that.  Watching you and Tom Ettle on the vapor and you on the lix have always been an inspiration to me.  I still haven't been able to get more than one rollup on a lix but the vapor is a side slide king.  Vid is bad quality being a white kite on a cloudy low light day but its there Smiley

https://vimeo.com/24301935
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2013, 07:18 PM »

JW, I bet you could get that Vapor to side slide 360 ! The Vapor was one of the best side sliden' kites I've ever flown. Right on about the Side Slide to be easy trick to do (one of my first (before I knew about tricks)) but I'm still working on 'mastering' it. Flat & level, all the way across the window, no bobbles... I'm lucky to get 5 of those a year.

JD, I've seen videos from another pilot up in Nova Scotia, it always struck me as a good place to fly. Scenery & what looks like good wind. Maybe it's just been the same bad wind up & down the east coast this year, we're due for some good wind soon !

Smiley

RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2013, 07:24 PM »

It will never cease to amaze me what some call tricks now, were called mistakes before.  All the ground slide tells me is you can take advantage of terrain to do the work for you.  Forget the ground slide and show me a true side slide 6 inches or less above the ground across the window.  That is my challenge to you Jay Smiley

Anthony, I promise you a big, fat side slide video with that yellow kite. I don't know about 6 inches off the deck, but I'll see what I can do !

Cool

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum