GWTW Forum
September 30, 2014, 11:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ground-bound Side Slide  (Read 3946 times)
JayDee
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2013, 09:11 PM »

JD, I've seen videos from another pilot up in Nova Scotia, it always struck me as a good place to fly. Scenery & what looks like good wind. Maybe it's just been the same bad wind up & down the east coast this year, we're due for some good wind soon !

Smiley

I never give up hope and keep my mind open for positive surprises.   Undecided  Yes, we will have gorgeous, smooth and steady winds all along the east coast starting no later than mid-May.  Everybody chime in, please:  "Yes, we will have gorgeous, smooth..."

I have yet to find that other flier here in Nova Scotia, though.  So far, the crappy winds have spoiled my attempts at recruiting new folks to the hobby.  It tends to frustrate people if they can barely keep a kite you give them in the air.  And it tends to frustrate me if I cannot even fly my own kite then.  Cause the fact that, while they are struggling, I can fly so much as a trick or two tends to frustrate said people even more...  And that's where the cat bites its tail.  Sad
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 10:31 PM by JayDee » Logged

Frequent Fliers: Talon Std, UL and Vtd, Widow Maker Std and UL, Solus Std, Widow (modded), ATM SUL, Duende Std
Rarely flown: Exile UL, Zephyr, E2, Ozone, Micron, Quantum
alien

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2013, 03:55 AM »

tpatter,nice one,
Well done Weldon!
You just Vapourizzzzed my day at work.That was truly Hot Flying Jonny!
And while im here i have to DECLARE 'You blokes are TOTAL FREAKS', Keep the Freak Show going.
Whats next?
JayDee, forget the locals,i am in a different hemisphere and while i am meant to be concentrating on blood pressures, pulse rates, temps and flows, all i am really thinking about is Low altitude Axles ,Sideslides and
  the JD Slidewalk,consider me recruited,Yankee!

« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 04:11 AM by alien » Logged
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2013, 04:45 AM »

Hey JD...
I don't know if he's still up there, but this guy (Dean) used to do a lot of flying up there...

A Short Kite Film: PROGRESS -Prism Qpro

~Rob.

alien

« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2013, 04:57 AM »

Oh Deano,
Hot video,Hot kite. Tongue
Thanks RobB
John Welden

« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2013, 06:37 AM »

JW, I bet you could get that Vapor to side slide 360 !

For outdoor the hardest part of 360 side slides is having enough stamina to truck backwards when the kite is upwind.  A guy in good shape like you are would have no problem at all. I guarantee you could easily do it if you practiced a little.  (especially on short-ish lines in little to no wind)  If my pathetic un-athletic body can do it, you can do it.  Cheesy

Indoors, 360 sides slides are really quite easy. Just lock it in and walk backwards.
JayDee

« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2013, 12:12 PM »

Hey JD...
I don't know if he's still up there, but this guy (Dean) used to do a lot of flying up there...
~Rob.

Thanks, Rob!  Cool video.

But, errr, hmm, now, how do I say it without coming across ungrateful or arrogant?  It's a kinda long way between here and there: http://goo.gl/maps/siL1M.  Even though, here in Canada people seem to be used to somewhat longer distances.  But, short of the border crossing, I might just as well come visit you   Lips sealed

A little over year ago I had not the slightest clue of where and what exactly Newfoundland is, let alone how to pronounce it.  The fact that so many people think Newfoundland when I talk about Nova Scotia shows that I was in very good company, and there is not the slightest reason to feel bad about it.   Cheesy Cheesy

Frequent Fliers: Talon Std, UL and Vtd, Widow Maker Std and UL, Solus Std, Widow (modded), ATM SUL, Duende Std
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2013, 05:55 PM »

OOops, sorry about that. The last time I was up there I was not driving, I was too young. It all blends together, in my mind it seemed a lot closer. For me, getting there was the long part, going between seemed like a short distance.

Oh, well. At least the good wind should be back, maybe as soon as this weekend !

JayDee

« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2014, 09:46 PM »

JD isn't the first to do this move and stating a point is not a kabosh since I'm not trying to end it or put a stop to it.  I can say the same thing about a few other mistakes that are now considered tricks.

And I never claimed I was.  The first (and only) time I saw a ground slide was in a video showing a Cosmic TC on the North Sea coast.  The only thing betraying that it was not fake was a small twitching towards the end of the move.  Unfortunately, that video does not seem to be online anywhere.  I think I have a local copy if anyone is interested.

For those who like ground work:  In another scene in that video, the kite walks across the frame.  Looks way cool, even though I am convinced there is a hardcore flier out there who might disapprove.  And for the purists amongst us, I seem to recall a few pretty swift, yet stable side slides, too.

For the record, I finally found that video I was referring to:

Just Cosmic

The ground slide starts at 2:17, the walking kite at 3:45.  But the rest of the video is worth watching, too, IMHO.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 09:54 PM by JayDee » Logged

whitebirdlover
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2014, 05:35 AM »

These "ground slides" remind me of sand crabs scooting across a beach.

Anthony
jaybett
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2014, 12:13 PM »

One of my all time favorite videos.

Jay
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document