GWTW Forum
July 24, 2014, 01:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OK to leave kiites assembled?  (Read 749 times)
sstalker
Trade Count: (0)

« on: April 25, 2013, 03:51 PM »

Stunt kites in general, Revs in particular.
Any harm to leaving a kite assembled a month or two?
My Rev fits in my car assembled.
I don't think I would do the fabric any damage, but not sure about the shock cord.

Thanks,

Steve - Toledo
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 05:41 PM »

I would not be concerned about the kites structure other than sun exposure.

Its radiation is bad for people and kites alike.  Faded sail, weakened plastic and rubber, etc.

6 kite tom
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 05:53 PM »

I wouldn't leave your down tubes in but you can leave the leading edge together and roll the sail around that.  Fully assembled I's be worried about incidental tears from tossing stuff in the car.
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 06:15 PM »

I'd not worry about it... but I've never heard of someone not breaking down their Rev after use. Takes about 30 seconds. You can then store it in the bag where it's less likely to become damaged.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 07:20 PM »

I'd not worry about it... but I've never heard of someone not breaking down their Rev after use. Takes about 30 seconds. You can then store it in the bag where it's less likely to become damaged.
Agreed!
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 04:31 AM »

the heat from being in the car/van/truck/above the heater in your office will cause more damage....fittings can and will disentegrate with heat and light....

If the frame is wrapped carbon, pultruded carbon rods or fiberglass tubes that being assembled will not do too much to it...
if the rod is a bent-and-held-in-shape Solid carbon rod or a solid fiberglass rod you might find that those might start to splinter eventually...

Shock cord will lose strength eventually.

skin material:
normal Risptop nylon  will eventually creep/stretch/sag if it is left in a tensioned setting for long periods of time...Carrington was notorious for this...
the polycarbonate materials like icarex should not have any creeping/stretching of the skin...but remember that just because the main skin is polycarb that does not mean that the reinforcments are also the same stuff...so your frame attachment points could change shape detrimentally...

If the skin is a flat plane like a rev I would see no issue on leaving it assembled if you have the space.....the skin is not that tight either...
If the skin is highly tensioned in three dimensions than i would always break it down....too much chance for failure....
example: leave a cellular piece assembled in a car in the sun...the car heats up...the frame hits its failure point and then while the kite is collapsing a freshly splintered rod tears the skin...

BIG issue with leaving kites assembled in a vehicle:
REMEMBER TO ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK YOUR DOOR BEFORE SHUTTING IT....over the years i have seen many sport kites come in for new rods because the last two inches of the wingtips have been snapped off....they always get caught in a door...

If you have the space go for it....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 08:11 AM »

The general rule of thumb was that, you could leave straight leading edge kites tensioned with no problem. Curved leading edges were probably better left un-tensioned. Leaving a straight leading edge kite set up, but with the stand offs removed, was okay.

This is less of an issue, if it ever was an issue, with the scarcity of curved leading edge kites these days.

Kite design is pertinent as well. Is the kite really tightly tensioned or basically pretty slack to begin with?

Whether the kite is tensioned with bungie or static line makes a difference. Bungie will keep more tension on the leading edge after the spreaders are removed.

If the leading edge material is sailcloth rather than Dacron, as with many UL/SUL, de-tensioning the leading edges couldn't hurt.

But it is all personal opinion. Many fliers with a great deal of experience think it makes no difference.

But as Rob said, Nylon will stretch if left tensioned.

One thing that will damage sails is folding the leading edges over and over. The fabric at the ferrules will take a beating over time.

I de-tension (except when I don't) but it really takes a lot of abuse to kill a kite, unless you slam it in to a wall at speed. Now that will kill a kite.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 08:13 AM by JimB » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document