GWTW Forum
April 17, 2014, 05:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Into The Wind 12’ and 16’ Delta  (Read 1221 times)
Michel
Trade Count: (+11)

« on: April 26, 2013, 09:54 AM »

Hi all,

I’m looking for a good lifter for low and middle winds.

I wish to hang on this kite one or 2 inflatables about 3-4 meters long.

I have seen these two (nice) deltas from Into the Wind :

1 – Direct link removed. Il Duce.

2 – Direct link removed. Il Duce.

What would be the best choice for me ?

Do you know or own one of these kites ?

Does the 16-ft Sweet 16 not pulling like a truck ?

Thanks in advance for your help and your advices.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 10:45 AM by chilese » Logged
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 10:18 AM »

The 12ft kite is as big a kite as I, personally, can handle. I just don't have the strength to deal with more pull. I can hold onto the 12ft size in pretty big winds until I can tie it up. I can also deal with getting it down. The 16ft kite is so tempting, though, isn't it? Bigger is always better, eh?Grin

Both of these kites are really cool, go up in much less wind than you would expect and are rock solid in the sky. They just plant themselves up there. Trust Into The Wind's kite descriptions- if they give cautionary advice, it's worth heeding.

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Michel

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 11:25 AM »

Sorry John, but I don’t agree !

Prism kites, The Kite Shoppe, Into The Wind and some others are GWTW’s partners and links to these kiteshops/kitesbuilders are allowed by Steve Hall, boss of the GWTW kiteshop and forum.

You have just to ask him !

Have a look please on the right of this page, you’ll find the ITW link !

That's funny, what does it mean ?

I respect the forum rules, you too please !
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+47)

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 11:29 AM »

Hi Michel,

I'd say that depends a lot on what inflatables you're thinking of flying with the deltas.

Are they also kites (providing lift) and just being guided by the delta's line (acting as a pilot), or are they just line laundry? Do they create a lot of drag (clown fish) or do they not (worms). The more drag you put on the flying line with laundry, the more lift you'll want from the kite. That usually means the larger the kite.

I have the Sweet 16 and it's a very nice flyer. It'll lift quite a bit.

Since you're talking line laundry, I presume you'll be anchoring your kite. I anchor almost all the SLKs I fly and put them up in groups.

Hope that helps.

Bob
Michel

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 11:34 AM »

Many thanks for your answer MtnFlyer !  Wink

Hi Michel,

I'd say that depends a lot on what inflatables you're thinking of flying with the deltas.

For example, Martin Lester 4 m Scuba Diver, Rolf Zimmermann 3 m Eule, CiM turbines 5 -> 7.5 m, Peter Lynn Teddy Bear 3 m,...
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 11:43 AM »

My 11ft Ghost easily lifted the Scuba Diver a couple of weeks ago.... for what it's worth. Another good lifter is Into the Winds Triton Genki.

Edit: don't forget ITW's DC's... they are awesome lifters as well.

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 11:48 AM »

Michel,

I understand what you are saying about the links on the right.

I am following a long standing rule given to me by Steve:

No direct links to other kite stores.

And while it is totally valid to say, "Click on the ad on the right",

the direct link was removed.

It is a fine line, agreed. When Steve tells me the rules have changed,

I will be happy to abide by whatever he directs. It is his Forum, not mine.

If any of the mods know of a rule change, please update me. Thanks.

I'd get the smaller of the 2 deltas, BTW. Good luck with your choice.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+47)

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 12:39 PM »

Many thanks for your answer MtnFlyer !  Wink

Hi Michel,

For example, Martin Lester 4 m Scuba Diver, Rolf Zimmermann 3 m Eule, CiM turbines 5 -> 7.5 m, Peter Lynn Teddy Bear 3 m,...

There are good examples of both low and high drag inflatables in your list, Michel.

Martin's Scuba Diver will fly without a lifter, has little pull and would have low drag with a pilot. The 3 m Zimmermann Owl generates its own lift, also, but also has significantly more drag due to its shape (I had one). The PL Teddy Bear would have less lift (but perhaps some) and more drag; I can't speak to its pull as I've only had a hand on the maxi.

Turbines or spinsocks generate no lift on their own. And a 5 - 7.5 m version is going to generate decent pull. Look at the line angle of the two in this pic. The smaller is 12 ft and the larger is 18 ft. Notice the bend in the line created by the 18 foot spinsock. Your kite has to be able to supply adequate lift for that.

clickable

For general flying, John's right. For lifting laundry, look to the needs of the laundry and your ability to anchor.

Bob
Michel

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 01:09 PM »

[...] Martin's Scuba Diver will fly without a lifter, has little pull and would have low drag with a pilot. The 3 m Zimmermann Owl generates its own lift, also, but also has significantly more drag due to its shape (I had one). The PL Teddy Bear would have less lift (but perhaps some) and more drag; I can't speak to its pull as I've only had a hand on the maxi.

I know that the Martin Lester Scuba diver and the Rolf Zimmermann's original Owl (not the GKPI one unfortunatly) can fly without a lifter but not in low winds. I own 3 Martin Scuba divers and 2 Rolf's owls.

And I'm looking for a lifter for low winds !
whitebirdlover
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 03:15 PM »

I fly a 12 ft. Sun Oaks delta and, while it will fly well enough on it's own in lighter winds, I would go for a larger sail as a low wind lifter. Granted the ITW kites are a bit lighter with the carbon framing, I've found my delta prefers more wind to do much lifting. Get into the low teens and it's good to go with an 8 ft. wind turbine for example. And, what's not to like on that "sweet sixteen"? Wink

Anthony
DonnTosh
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 05:22 AM »

Hi all,

I’m looking for a good lifter for low and middle winds.

I wish to hang on this kite one or 2 inflatables about 3-4 meters long.

I have seen these two (nice) peimar solar from Into the Wind :

What would be the best choice for me ?

Do you know or own one of these kites ?

Does the 16-ft Sweet 16 not pulling like a truck ?

Thanks in advance for your help and your advices.

Huge kite.. Never even thought about such big kite in my dream.. How did you fly it?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 08:41 AM by DonnTosh » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography