GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 09:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kite lines  (Read 1236 times)
alien
Trade Count: (0)

« on: April 27, 2013, 08:05 AM »

How come kites are supplied with such heavy lines?
Ive been running 55ftx20lb p pro on my Hypnotist and i always check my knots, joins and sleeves, they are perfect every time but i always have a concern in the back of my pea-brain that somethings gonna give.
The performance gains are as expected so i am wondering does anyone else use lighter lines and can i expect some sort of disaster other than having to make up a new set eventually or they may last as long as the heavy lines provided?
One little hassle i have ,once in a while(you wouldnt believe how often) is it gets a easily tangled around logs n picks up crap on the beach,dry seaweed,small sticks seem to love clinging on to it.
I am going to try a 30ftx10lb for my Ultralite as the 20lb set was intended for it anyway but its so good on my other kites i will go even lighter on it!
PS:Great forum. ive got most of my tips and ideas from this place and i just love the kite snob battles over cottage vs industrial popouts. Beautiful.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 08:16 AM by alien » Logged
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 08:58 AM »

My Hypnotist snapped 50lb lines in about 8mph. I used them because they were short and had a small field. Amazing you haven't snapped 20-pounders.

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Hadge

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 10:26 AM »

The Hypnotist has a pretty strong pull so you must have been flying in light winds or been very lucky! Personally I wouldn't use less than 90# on something like that, if you break a line and go into a 'death spiral' you could easily break something expensive. That goes double if you are using 30' lines as, if you get a sudden gust, you won't have enough time to react before you hit the ground. The lightest lines I use are 50# on my HQ Shadow.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 10:30 AM »

As others have said:

50# for SUL sport kites

90#-200# for regular to very strong winds on standard or vented

10#-20# for fighter kites  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 11:23 AM »

Another thing.... The better quality lines aren't so "fluffy." They will feel lighter (even the heavy ones) because the wind drag isn't there. Too, they won't catch all the debris like your lines. The braiding is very tight/smooth.

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 02:26 PM »

life is too short to drink cheap liquor and have cheap kites lines Cool Cheesy
I wont go with anything below 50# for a dual

Sine Metu!
dayhiker

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 04:14 PM »

Quality lines were a real eye opener to me.

"Well him & my uncle tore that engine down
 I still remember that rumblin' sound"   Steve Earle
SparkieRob

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 11:42 PM »

From the Prism E-Brochure: the Quantum comes with Spectra and the Hypnotist come with Polyester lines. Most shops advertise the Hypno as coming with Spectra.

Do Poly lines have more give than Spectra?

Inbetween Heaven and Earth, there are kites.
Hadge

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 01:30 AM »

The lines that come with RTF kites - even the dyneema linesets- tend to be basic quality.  They are OK, but a set of quality lines - Spectra, Shanti, Climax,LPG etc - will still be a big step up. Well worth the extra cost. I've had my oldest Climax set for several seasons now, I've only needed to adjust it twice ( by about 1/2") and while it has faded it still hasn't gone fluffy and has loads of life in it yet.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
alien

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 05:44 AM »

Whoops?
I had the perfect Sunday today,half shift at hospital,super low tide this afternoon,perfect sunshine,holiday makers went home to Sydney and brisbane today leaving my 11km  beach empty so i saw my power window was open.Connected my new found "LITE-LINES" to my Hypnotist and POP goes the right line on my first snapstall %^@#!.lucky i had  my original set in my bag as i nearly forgot it in my hasty,Gotta
Go before my wife decides shes coming with me and escape lifes reality plan and just took Hypno with the new GREAT lines but it was to perfect for just one kite.
It was a warm 10-25km breeze off the sea. on arrival home after flying till dark (it really was good),i inspected the break (Magnifiying glass)which looked like a ground snag cut,as it wasnt so much a fray as it was more clean-cut-ish.
My wife who does most of the online buying also advised me that the line she ordered was not 20lb but was 20kg. But after flying with 20kg and then putting on the 150lb you really do notice the performance lost to the heavier lines.I really thought i was on to something but i was brought back down to earth and luckily it was at the edge of the window as i was let down gently with no known ill effects other than looking like a complete Knob in my first post on this great forum,thanks for your unheeded tips and warnings and remember this "Always read the label,follow the instructions and put your glasses on you old Fossil"
Sorry and thanks.
Facts
The Hypnotists supplied line is 150lb spectra.
The line was broken at roughly the halfway mark,from what looked like ground snag damage.
I made it from cheap Chinese fishing Spectra/Dyneema with an Climax Sleeve Set on the business ends.
I am a total Gumby.
I should have a pair of bifocals on at all times.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 06:11 AM by alien » Logged
JayDee

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 06:18 AM »

Makes me wonder what you call the business end of your lines. Mine tend to be busy on both ends. Wink

Frequent Fliers: Talon Std, UL and Vtd, Widow Maker Std and UL, Solus Std, Widow (modded), ATM SUL, Duende Std
Rarely flown: Exile UL, Zephyr, E2, Ozone, Micron, Quantum
alien

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 06:31 AM »

JayDee,
 Sorry JayDee i meant both business ends. Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 08:53 AM by alien » Logged
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 09:36 AM »

RTF kites tend to have heavier "STARTER" lines. 
If RTF had "LIGHT" lines then:
If you pop "LIGHT" lines you throw the kite in the trash and never buy another kite or complain about the kite maker.
If you don't pop heavier "STARTER" lines you keep flying.
If you keep flying you have more fun and buy more kites.
If you buy more kites, the kite maker makes more money.
If the kite maker makes more money, he designs more kites for you to buy.
If the kite makers use heavier lines the kite maker wins and you learn to fly.  You can't fly a kite that's in a trash can.
alien

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 04:02 AM »

Boomertype,
That really makes sense,strange but insightful.
Flying with my stock lines from now on and i consider myself lucky to have come out of my blunder without any damage but a wealth of knowledge  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 04:07 AM by alien » Logged
Danceswithwinds

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 10:27 AM »

I always use Shanti or Climax lines,I have around 10 sets of each at different lengths  and are always cleaned and dried after use. so far they have lasted around eight years and I fly at least three times a week. I have also  waterproofed them using tent proofer Fabcil seems to help keep them in good condition.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change