Handles

(1/2) > >>

DD:
What is the angle on rev handles?
Is there a logic behind more or less angle? In flying with q flaps on a dual line do you use standard trev handles?

SparkieRob:
IMO.... The angle isn't all that important, it's the difference created between top and bottom lines that is important. You could fly a Rev with straight handles and do it well, the shape or angle comes down to ergonomics. For example, some people fly with a HUGE amount of difference and their handles appear to lay almost flat. Whereas some people fly with very little and their handles appear very upright. If both were holding their kite in a hover, the handles would be vastly different but their kites would be the same. Personal preference and how your wrists fatigue is a big factor. When I started Revs I flew the standard handles with standard leaders and could do that reasonably well but now I have a greater difference and I find this more comfortable for me.

As for the Q-Flaps, I have no idea but I am VERY interested to hear the opinions.

thief:
there is a bit of difference between handles.....Guildworks Decas had handles that were parallel to the kite (flat handles) and that is because the Decas have a 3 dimensional curve built into the design.....the design of the kite already makes it want to fly...so the handles do not need to have an angle forward on the bottom towards the kite....in fact if you fly a Deca with rev handles it will not fly well....
Revs/Spirits/Skydancers/Visions/Mosquitos and others all are designed with the main sail being a flat plane...so those kites NEED to have the handles angled forward to create the angle of attack of the sail that the kite needs to fly forward..

For Q Flaps i would expect that flatter handles would work better than angled ones....but that is just my opinion........

goestoeleven:
Yes, I agree with all of your comments . . . . and then I'd add that many rev flyers (myself included) modify the top pigtails on the standard handles to be able to add "brake," and many fly with their lines attached at or near the maximum brake setting on the pigtails.  This offsets the bend in the handles, and puts the sail much closer to being flat to the wind, so that you have to "pop the tops" to put the kite into forward flight. 

Maybe the bend is just there so us rev flyers can tell which end of the handle is the top  ;D.  Sort of like the left and right stickers they used to put on rental skis   :D

Just kidding people, just kidding. 

Sherman Myers:
Quote from: goestoeleven on April 28, 2013, 06:10 AM

Maybe the bend is just there so us rev flyers can tell which end of the handle is the top  ;D.  Sort of like the left and right stickers they used to put on rental skis   :D

There are left and right skis???
 :o :o :o :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page