GWTW Forum
April 24, 2014, 11:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Handle lengths  (Read 3278 times)
Crimsongost
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: June 09, 2009, 07:57 AM »

Having never actually put my hands on a rev why are there diffrent lengths of handles?? It seems the most common length or "regular" seems to be 13" and the "long" are 16". Obviously the longer lower leg means greater movement in the lower sail, but whitch is better ? Some very kind person has taken pitty on me and is sending me a rev II and I am in the process of building handles I happem to have some solid T60-61 Alum stock, the 45 deg bend is no problem and the foam grips I have. My question seems to be what length to make them?

Thansk for all the help
Mitchell

Thanks
Mitchell

1983 Skynasaur aerobat
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 09:17 AM »

overall:
Longer handles means more throw..and a longer throw equates to more control...
shorter handles are a bit less precise.....

Now....this is the preferential part.....
choose what you will....for years i have watched (and flown) Rev 2's on short handles....it was too much with longer handles....
for a big pulling kite like a blast you are not going to be trying to do lots of precise maneuvers with it so shorter handles are better.....

for guildworks decas each kite style came with its own separate handle set...each a different size.....and then Marc made the  Xhandles...these incorporate the sized handles for each and every deca....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 10:49 AM »

The "technical" size of the Rev handles is most all Rev's are being supplied with 13" handles.  This is the measurement of the rod before it is bent.  Rev II's and the speed series Rev's (Shockwave and Supersonic) are usually shipped with the 9" handles.  SUL's and specialty light wind kites are usually supplied with the 15" (long) handles.  Indoor handles are carbon, have a slightly different bend in them and are appx. 16" long.

The power series kites (Blast, Power Blast 2-4 & 4-8) have their own style handles that are different from the standard Rev's.  The 4-8 actually has two bends in the handles and both the power blasts are carbon wrapped for reinforcement.

Hope that helps.

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 12:44 AM »

Why not make them adjustable if you fab'ing them yourself? Maybe a series of holes on the bottom leg, or some grooves you could larkshead your pigtails to, although not as secure as the holes.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Burke

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 03:51 AM »

Starting out you should go with short handles.  What this will do is allow you to learn the basics of controlling with a reduction of input.  This will help to reduce overcorrection.

Once you have learned the basics, longer handles will help in learning the finer points of a quad.  Also as stated before the size and wind range of the kite usually determins what length handle you should use (unless you are a master flyer and can compensate and fly anything that is handed to you).

In general, most quadheads prefer longer handles because less control input is needed to achieve the same results, but novices tend to overcorrect so shorter handles work better for them.

The Rev 2 is fast and very sensitive to control input.  To reduce your frustration while learning, I would recommend using very short handles.  I use short Rev 2 handles when I fly my Backtracker stack because they are also very sensitive to control input.

I am certain you will shortly be bombarded with a gazillion suggestions on what length you should use.  If you get into quads, you will soon find yourself with varying lengths of handles that you will use with different kites in different winds.

Welcome to "The Dark Side!"

Good Winds and God's Blessings,
Burke
Crimsongost

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 05:12 AM »

Ok here is what I have made 1 set of 16" 1 set of 9" and 2 sets of 13". On one short, med and long set I have driled a hole .75" below the end. On one Med set I have drilled holes incrimentaly up the lower leg (.75") One of the suggestions from above sounded like a good idea. Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Now i just need to learn to fly it Smiley

Thanks again
MItchell   

Thanks
Mitchell

1983 Skynasaur aerobat
monkey

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 07:30 AM »

I've been on 13 inch handles for close to 12 years now and I plan on stickin' with them. I don't find the longer ones give you any real advantage at all, but others swear by them.

david hathaway
www.iquad.ca
kitelover

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 08:28 AM »

I believe most Revs used to come with 9" handles (except the II), when they came out with the 11", I prefered those. Then they came out with the 13" and I prefered those. This is measuring across the gap from hog ring to hog ring.
I like the longer throw. It's easier to get the sail to flip flat for turtles or flick flacs. Some people don't like that, some times it's not a good thing (ie precision). It is controlable by your wrist movements. But if it's not there, you can't use it.
Hoping to try 15" some day.
sbrown
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 10:48 AM »

It's probably easiest to learn the Rev II (which is a quick and responsive kite) with the shortest handles.
Longer handles magnify your inputs and when you're learning that will probably over-control a Rev II.

Sent from my 6 year old laptop using Hunt'n'Peck.
sailor99

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 01:43 AM »

What others have said about having a range of lengths is spot on. I have short handles for IIs and 15" for my 1.5s and Is . In really light wind I go for extra long 17" or even "19 (whohar!) handles.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography