GWTW Forum
September 03, 2014, 12:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ken Mcneill - Muse Workshop - Keystone Kiters - Harrisburg PA  (Read 4031 times)
TBHinPhilly
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: April 30, 2013, 07:13 AM »

From the Keystone Kiters - Harrisburg PA

Summer 2013 Kite Making Retreat

The Muse Sport Kite

We're a little late in finalizing our Summer Retreat this year, but the wait was well worth it! World famous kite designer/maker Ken Mcneill will be teaching his awesome Muse Sport kite! Learn to build one of the best flying dual-line kites ever made. Complete kits with pre-cut sails and all rods and fittings will be availabe. You'll even be able to choose your own custom color combination!

Join us the 2nd weekend of August for some kite making fun. This years workshop will be held on August 10-11 2013.

For more information.

http://keystonekiters.com/events.html
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 12:44 PM »

sounds excellent.  Wish I could attend just for the opportunity to build a Muse... of course I suppose I could just disassemble the one I have and rebuild it, but not nearly as fun (I'm sure) as being in a workshop led by Ken himself. 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 12:46 PM by sugarbaker » Logged
Lou
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 01:33 PM »

I think these Kite Builder Retreats need to happen in Florida.  Great weather, windy beaches...  just all perfect place to hold an event like this!  wink wink Wink
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 01:42 AM »

Nothing like a workshop with Ken, if you can get in on it do it. Plus the Muse is a fine kite you'll be happy to have in your bag. Wish it wasn't so far, I'd love to do it even though it would be a second time and a 3rd Muse (We bought one of Ken's the morning he started taking orders).

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
kmac

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 12:22 PM »

I think these Kite Builder Retreats need to happen in Florida.  Great weather, windy beaches...  just all perfect place to hold an event like this!  wink wink Wink

I'm sure it would be a great place to have a kite building workshop or retreat.  The thing is - there is no governing body that organizes these things (nor should there be).  They are organized by local, hard-working enthusiasts like yourself.  If you want an event in your area, and have the number of potential attendees to make it work, make it happen!  You don't need to think on the scale of Ft. Worden, just a few friends with similar interests getting together to learn something and maybe make a kite.

Ken McNeill
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 12:25 PM by kmac » Logged
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 12:59 PM »

We've got plenty of people in the Ripon group to do something like this.  More if we add in the whole of Northern California.  Hmmm. ...

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
kmac

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 01:04 PM »

Nothing like a workshop with Ken, if you can get in on it do it. Plus the Muse is a fine kite you'll be happy to have in your bag. Wish it wasn't so far, I'd love to do it even though it would be a second time and a 3rd Muse (We bought one of Ken's the morning he started taking orders).

Thanks Mike.  That was a good weekend. Smiley  I know I learned as much from you guys as you possibly could have from me.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 01:22 PM »

Excellent weekend in Chico.

4 dozen pictures of the event start here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej/2004Kites#5432332587371958738

It convinced me I do not have the patience for kitemaking.

Ken is the MAN.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 01:25 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
kmac

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 02:55 PM »

Excellent weekend in Chico.

4 dozen pictures of the event start here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej/2004Kites#5432332587371958738

John, I've saved your "motivational poster" as my desktop wallpaper!  I've told several people in classes over the years about your kite, but mostly about your great attitude about the experience (at least after the fact Wink ).
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 04:03 PM »

I'd so be down for something like this if it were semi-local.. hint hint Ken.   Wink
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 04:14 PM »

Ken,

The poster was made by Paul Shirey (Aerostar), fellow Mechanical Engineer,
using a photo I took of my skills.

The Mojo UL is always in my "A Bag".
You were right, "It flies just like a Mojo."
I never would have finished the kite if Bambi hadn't given me that chocolate
bar and given me a timeout while she ripped out the trailing edge stitching.

Although it has a few more friendship signatures accumulated over the years.
Here is Bob Matteo holding it from June of 2012:

« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 04:18 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
kmac

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 05:01 PM »

I'd so be down for something like this if it were semi-local.. hint hint Ken.   Wink
No need to "hint hint" me.  I'm not an organizer, just the hired help. Wink

Besides, there are a ton of exceptional designers/builders in easy driving distance of you.  Find a venue, find a teacher, invite a few friends, and you've got yourself a party!
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 07:11 PM »

No need to "hint hint" me.  I'm not an organizer, just the hired help. Wink
I think he's hint-hinting me and/or the other Ripon group flyers. It's a *really* good idea.

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 07:38 PM »

Yeah it is!  Just need to find a venue...
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 11:32 PM »

How about a westcoast "Muse Workshop Benefit" for Steve. 

I'll bring the Blue Moon beer!
CV

Remember, No Matter Where You Go, There You Are.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document