GWTW Forum
December 21, 2014, 07:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vented Vs. Windbreak?  (Read 2421 times)
Carlton
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 09, 2009, 09:08 AM »

Here lately, We've been having some pretty strong winds, too strong for my Quantum.  I love my Level One Easy Light in light winds, so I was thinking about the Easy in standard with a windbreak or the vented...
.What's the dif?  Not just in relation to the Easy, but windbreaks and venteds in general?

So the wife asks, "Why learn a half axle if you can already do a full axle?"
stapp59
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 09:30 AM »

In my experience, windbreaks will help a standard handle a little more wind say 5 MPH or so.

A vented kite will handle higher winds than a std with brakes and pull less.

Both are harder to trick in higher winds.

Steve.
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 10:10 AM »

I am very much in the windbreak camp for recreational flying, even in less than ballistic (12MPH+)winds.

This was re-enforced on a recent trip to FL.

Running R-Sky windscreens on a DS and with lines from 90-200lb. I was able to fly, and trick, in any and all winds encountered up to and including a few days with sustained winds in the high Twenties and perhaps a bit higher on occasion.

I'd sooner leave the weights at home, and in fact did just that on this trip, than to forego having those R-Sky jobbies in the bag.

I find them exceptionally useful in gusty winds as well.

Vented kites.. well they have holes in them. It's hard to load and unload the sail properly for the sort of flying I like to do, although Dog knows; they do have their uses, but; even the trickier ones generally need to be qualified with a "for a vent.."

I don't think I have more than Two vented kites left in the closet anymore. I'd have to check. It's been that long since I've flown one.

It's entirely possible, even preferable IMO, to skip the vent if you are not competing.

The Talon vent certainly looks interesting.
streamhawk

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 10:18 AM »

I would agree with JimB on the airbrakes, a nice side benefit to them is smoothing out bumpy turbulent air, they really tend to shine for that. Nice for us inland fliers.

Bill
Dano
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 10:31 AM »

I'd sure like to see a picture of how these rsky brakes look setup on a kite. Anybody got a pic?
stapp59
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 10:41 AM »

I fly both vents and stds with brakes.  I really like a variable vent with just enough venting open to take the edge off the winds.  

As already pointed out, screens along the kite face do help smooth out gusty winds.  Screens between the standoffs add drag and slow the kite.  You can do both. Wind screens are alot cheaper that a dedicated vent and a good addition to your bag.

Jim do prefer your screens parallel with the kite face between the upper and lower spreaders or between the stand offs and the T? 

Longer heavier lines are also very helpful in slowing the kite.

Some kites load up quicker with wind speed and it's nice to have both options. As with most things YMMV.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 10:49 AM by stapp59 » Logged
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 12:00 PM »

With the R-Sky screens, I run them vertically from the upper spreader down to the outer standoffs usually. They attach via elastic at the upper spreader and velcro around the standoff. They don't slow pitch all that much, but do add a bit of drag so the kite drops into a deeper backflip. Nice benefit there.

Spin is slowed some but it's no big deal to adjust to.

In very high winds or on very short lines in high winds, I sometimes run them to the inner standoffs. This induces oversteer, which can be useful in very high winds or when in close proximity to the ground when it's blowing hard.

When the wind is really strong it can be all you can do to get the kite to turn in a timely manner so this oversteer setting is very handy. In normal winds not so much.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 12:02 PM by JimB » Logged
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 05:40 PM »

I just got my R-Sky brakes today. Tomorrow it's supposed to be between 9 and 10 mph and I think I'd like to see how they do! I know it's not mid-teens or 20s but at 10 mph it's still not as fun as  6-8 mph.

Bob D.
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 09:06 PM »

if this post is breaking any rules sorry just trying to be helpful  it is a QP but works for most
   http://www.cuttingedgekites.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=40
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 09:35 PM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum