GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 03:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A BAD SOAKING?  (Read 1176 times)
alien
Trade Count: (0)

« on: April 30, 2013, 08:18 AM »

After watching nearly every kite video on the web,1 in 5 of these includes a kite getting dunked in the drink so i figured i would get a video of my kite tip stalling in the waters edge after my pathetic attempt at the JayDee groundslide,suddenly my wife who was in front of me so i couldnt see the wave coming just the kite beside her,was looking and waving back at me when i saw it a 3 foot shore dump come into view a take out my kite,after a quick swim i recovered the kite and untangled the mess of line that had joined in to make it more fun!
Surely its not good for a kite to get wet let alone Saltwater? The stitching.glues,braiding and sail would have to suffer in some way wouldnt they?

« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 08:22 AM by alien » Logged
kepople
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 08:35 AM »

On vacation last year, my daughter friend put my one of my high end kites in the ocean. My fault, i should have moved her away.
Anyway, I rinsed it with fresh water immediatley, and brush all the sand off. let it dry outside. I also pulled the end caps and nocks off to let any water that may have gotten in the tubes to escape. I did that twice. Its no worse for wear.

My Silver fox took a dunk in a slimy lake. I had to drag it across the bottem to get it out of the water as it sank. Same method, no problems.

That being said, both line sets which were strung out to dry, both snapped shortly after. So have a back up line set with you next time out and enjoy your now seasoned kite... Smiley
nckiter
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 10:32 AM »

I have a couple of Rev 1.5 SLEs that have spent way more time dipping, diving, and swimming in saltwater over the last 15+ years than I have touched my toes in the water Grin. I have always made sure that I flew them and the line sets dry before putting them away. The only time I recall actually rinsing them off was once or twice when I had to put them up wet until I got back to the house. I've not had any issue with line breakage after getting the lines wet.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 01:09 PM »

Most, if not all, of the fabrics used in sport kites were designed for sailing, so saltwater means nothing to them. It's all the other components which are more of a concern. I've had some kites go in seawater and haven't been able to wash them off for an extended period. with no problems. A kite put away wet for a long time will get moldy and possibly stained. As said before, fly the kite dry, or mostly dry before putting it away. Salt and sand are abrasive, so it's best for the longevity of the kite to clean em off, especially down in LE pockets and such.

Set it up and hose it off and let it dry.

Allen, AKA kitehead
kiteslinger
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 02:54 PM »

besides the frame  its self
the weakest component is the seam and stitching were salt can rest..  salt acts as tinny bits of crushed glass......over time{many moons} even w/o taking to salt water just the salty air will work the seam and blow out

hose with running H2o {not spray} once dry any white residue left over will need another hose down.

and you made out better than I did  My kite came out bent over like a taco and broke in 3 places after a wave jacked up and swallowed it
RobB

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 07:05 PM »

I haven't noticed any long term effects to my kites from getting the occasional salt water dip. The beach that I fly on is pretty narrow, so half of the wind window ends up over the water. Crashes into the water are pretty common, and sometimes intentional. Like the others said, a fresh water bath is nice when you get home.
Some people think that the beach is the worst place for a kite (with all that nasty sand & salt water), but it's the best place for wind. Kites won't last forever... so don't worry about the salt water, worry more about the waves in the salt water, they'll destroy a kite in a blink of an eye !   :'(

Taking the QPro for a Dip...

JayDee

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 08:29 PM »

Have to second that:  No adverse effects of salt water observed on high-end and not-so-high-end kites over many years.  I keep a fairly stringent hygiene, though, with a shower after almost every beach flying session.

Watch out for low temperatures, though Wink  http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=9237.0

Frequent Fliers: Talon Std, UL and Vtd, Widow Maker Std and UL, Solus Std, Widow (modded), ATM SUL, Duende Std
Rarely flown: Exile UL, Zephyr, E2, Ozone, Micron, Quantum
bt
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 09:44 PM »

+1
I have 3 older 1.5 revs (sul, standard, vented) and linesets I keep specifically for flying over and in the the water, especially in the winter months when the tides are reversed.
No problems as long as everything gets dried and cleaned out. Every once in a while I'll give it/them a rinse....there's an outdoor fresh water shower at the beach...
A plus being it's all across the street from my house so I don't have to put the kite(s) in the bag and loosely wind the lines so they can breathe and dry out.
bt
alien

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 06:15 AM »

RobB,
Nice video.
Hot stuff and make that 2 outta 5 VIDEOS kites get dipped,but a Q-pro?
So what you are indicating to us Land-Lubbers is dont be afraid of the water just watch out for the Boomer Sets as your kite will most probably be killed by neglect and abuse or old age.
Oh and your video Some side slides,REALLY ARE Some side slides,HooooT!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 08:03 AM by alien » Logged
ko

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 08:38 AM »

I agree with Allen. I have been racing sailboats for longer than I care to mention The fabric that kite builders use was developed for sailboats. Specifcally spinnakers. You would probably not believe the stress we put on these sails to win(or loose) They are always soaked.In salt water The only real threat to your kite was waves,surge,or dragging it thru the water causing breakage.Just rinse and dry that is how we care for our EXSPENSIVE sails. Salt is water soluble but sand is not
America's Cup: Russell Coutts on AC45 Oracle capsizes spectacularly in San Francisco
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 08:47 AM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
RobB

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 07:27 PM »

I've seen plenty of power boats bow-stuff, but that's the first sailboat that I've seen do that !   Cheesy

RobB

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 07:30 PM »

RobB,
Nice video.
Hot stuff and make that 2 outta 5 VIDEOS kites get dipped,but a Q-pro?
So what you are indicating to us Land-Lubbers is dont be afraid of the water just watch out for the Boomer Sets as your kite will most probably be killed by neglect and abuse or old age.
Oh and your video Some side slides,REALLY ARE Some side slides,HooooT!
My QPro is mostly mylar, so it's a natural for dippin'. It doesn't hold the water weight like most kites. I've broken plenty of kites in waves, but have only had one seam fail so far. And I don't think it failed because of salt water exposure, it was more due to the 20+mph wind that I was flying in...

alien

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 04:43 AM »

I think a nice pleasing dip(YOU) is different from a 3 wave shore dump hold down(ME) as ive finally found time to go over my  Hypnotist for a damage report and found a crunchy collection of sand all the way along inside the sail frame sleeves,
so i figure on my weekend i will lightly attack it with my compressed air blow gun as the tip  is small enough to shove into the crannies and up the nooks.
I still cant picture a Chinese contractor using premium glues or threads for the stitching and sails on Kites .Even if they do so, you cant be comparing Chinese materials or manufactoring techniques to the millions of dollars spent on world class boat racing.though i cant find any fault with most of the chinese products i have purchased in the past and China will most probably end up doing what "MADE IN JAPAN" did in the seventies and become known  for up-market premium products?
But as i have been wisely advised,just to fly it till it dies,but it will most probably still be around after China takes over the world!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 08:33 AM by alien » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change