GWTW Forum
November 27, 2014, 03:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Handles  (Read 1702 times)
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« on: April 27, 2013, 06:35 PM »

What is the angle on rev handles?
Is there a logic behind more or less angle? In flying with q flaps on a dual line do you use standard trev handles?

Sine Metu!
SparkieRob
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 11:32 PM »

IMO.... The angle isn't all that important, it's the difference created between top and bottom lines that is important. You could fly a Rev with straight handles and do it well, the shape or angle comes down to ergonomics. For example, some people fly with a HUGE amount of difference and their handles appear to lay almost flat. Whereas some people fly with very little and their handles appear very upright. If both were holding their kite in a hover, the handles would be vastly different but their kites would be the same. Personal preference and how your wrists fatigue is a big factor. When I started Revs I flew the standard handles with standard leaders and could do that reasonably well but now I have a greater difference and I find this more comfortable for me.

As for the Q-Flaps, I have no idea but I am VERY interested to hear the opinions.

Inbetween Heaven and Earth, there are kites.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 05:03 AM »

there is a bit of difference between handles.....Guildworks Decas had handles that were parallel to the kite (flat handles) and that is because the Decas have a 3 dimensional curve built into the design.....the design of the kite already makes it want to fly...so the handles do not need to have an angle forward on the bottom towards the kite....in fact if you fly a Deca with rev handles it will not fly well....
Revs/Spirits/Skydancers/Visions/Mosquitos and others all are designed with the main sail being a flat plane...so those kites NEED to have the handles angled forward to create the angle of attack of the sail that the kite needs to fly forward..

For Q Flaps i would expect that flatter handles would work better than angled ones....but that is just my opinion........

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
goestoeleven
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 06:10 AM »

Yes, I agree with all of your comments . . . . and then I'd add that many rev flyers (myself included) modify the top pigtails on the standard handles to be able to add "brake," and many fly with their lines attached at or near the maximum brake setting on the pigtails.  This offsets the bend in the handles, and puts the sail much closer to being flat to the wind, so that you have to "pop the tops" to put the kite into forward flight. 

Maybe the bend is just there so us rev flyers can tell which end of the handle is the top  Grin.  Sort of like the left and right stickers they used to put on rental skis   Cheesy

Just kidding people, just kidding. 
Sherman Myers
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 11:42 AM »

Maybe the bend is just there so us rev flyers can tell which end of the handle is the top  Grin.  Sort of like the left and right stickers they used to put on rental skis   Cheesy

There are left and right skis???
 Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Sherman Myers
Westfield, NJ
dayhiker
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 12:53 PM »

My standard sst 13" handle measured angle is 55 degrees using a granite surface plate, iron v-block & machinist protractor.

"Well him & my uncle tore that engine down
 I still remember that rumblin' sound"   Steve Earle - Copperhead Road
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 02:34 PM »

Using the variable length pigtails negate the angle.
goestoeleven
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 07:16 PM »

There are left and right skis???
 Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Yep, and your skis just won't work at all if you get them on the wrong foot . . . just ask mtnflyer.  I bet he's made that mistake plenty of times, since he lives in ski country . . . lucky guy.  I always blame my poor skiing on my skis being manufactured without left/right stickers.  Which edge is the sharp one? 
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 08:01 PM »

Yup... the angle _and_ length make the difference and are important. As mentioned, it's not just the angle as there are two reason's it exists. It's more comfortable to fly with a bend in the handles but more so it allows a better forward/brake combination when flying. The angle could be reduced and the length increased and you'd get the same affect as more angle and shorter handles. So the two need to be considered. Usually the angle starts near the top (forward) and then the longer the lower 1/2 the more brake can be applied with less movement. So (balanced) handles that are longer usually are used when more brake is desired.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 05:12 PM »

...  but more so it allows a better forward/brake combination when flying. The angle could be reduced and the length increased and you'd get the same affect as more angle and shorter handles.

Extrapolating from this, you could reduce the angle and increase the length until you have straight handles.  And yes this would work in the way you describe, however

...  It's more comfortable to fly with a bend in the handles

BECAUSE the handles won't rotate in your hands - the lines are always pulling the top and bottom of the handles towards the kite while part of your hand is always pulling some part of the middle towards you

...I think

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum