GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 11:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Super SUL's...your imagination or real???  (Read 17120 times)
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 05:06 PM »

Now, somebody cue up that Thor's Hammer vid..

I feel better now, don't you?

Carry On.

Wink

http://www.skyburner.com/levelone/Video/videoGallery.html

It's all in the calf muscles...

Allen, AKA kitehead
Geoffrey Platt
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 05:17 PM »

Cheesy CRAZY!!!!

Geoffrey Platt
Orlando, FL
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 05:36 PM »

I knew I could count on 'Ya..

Grin

Now, somebody cue up that Thor's Hammer vid..

I feel better now, don't you?

Carry On.

Wink

http://www.skyburner.com/levelone/Video/videoGallery.html

It's all in the calf muscles...
anOldMan
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 09:58 PM »

What is the reason for the existence of a SSUL. Is it for performing tricks with 0 wind? Is it to fly both indoors and out-doors? Or is it to hang on your living room wall?

The requirements and flying techniques of a 0 wind kite and a stunt kite are different. My only experience with a 0 wind kite is the Inner Space. The kite is a true floater. I did not think it could do Old School tricks until I saw the Pierro Serra video on the Benson web site.

0 wind kites are designed to fly indoors with no wind. Some like the Inner Space can fly in winds up to 5 maybe 6 mph. But you are out of their design environment. I tried to fly a QPro SUL indoors and it was like pulling a truck around the hall. The kite was not design to float on the wind but to react to the wind.

So to my original question, WHY a SSUL?  Huh Huh Huh

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 10:20 PM »

I don't own a wind gauge, but I can fly the Fearless SUL in wind where I can do 360s and jacobs ladders as I slowly walk backwards.  In this sort of wind, its difficult to tell the direction.  The kite has a nice ability to rise when doing JLs or multi-lazys if you just pop it a bit for the rotation which helps keep it aloft as well.

Of course, I much prefer it when the wind is to the point where I can just stand there and fly,  but in a pinch and if its not too hot and I'm feeling rested, you can fly it in darn near nothing at all.

It's no indoor kite, but its also got enough mass to be very tricky.  I like it best in 2-4 and much prefer it to other SULs that I've had.

6 kite tom
tpatter

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2009, 10:31 PM »

What is the reason for the existence of a SSUL. Is it for performing tricks with 0 wind? Is it to fly both indoors and out-doors? Or is it to hang on your living room wall?

I've flown with Sherril while he was flying his Fearless SSUL - I was on my Shadow at the time (which goes pretty darn low).  He was able to get one pop rollups out of it with just a small pop and a step forward - it would go right around (told me that there is a small weight in the nose).  He was also doing other tricks more easily than the rest of us.

I would guess that the Fearless SSUL its designed to fly outdoors in lowest possible winds while still modern-trick capable.  I don't think its an indoor kite and can't see folks doing up and overs with it (but I could be wrong).

« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 11:24 PM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
jaybett
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2009, 02:25 AM »

The Fearless SSUL or S for short, was the brain child of Sherrell, aka Big Wheels who wanted a Fearless that could fly in less wind then the Fearless SUL.

Modern SUL kites, that I've flown, tend to have more mass, then kites of the past such as the Vapor or the Pro Dancer SUL. After Team Cutting Edge got their Quantum Pro SUL's, somebody asked Jerry Cannon, his thoughts. Jerry said that the QPro SUL needed, a strong 2mph to be able to fly. When the winds were lighter, the team flew Vapors.

I think most modern SUL's need a strong 2mph to fly. The SSUL of today, is probably the equivalent of yesterdays SUL.

One of the Aussie's described the Pro Dancer SUL, as their "In case of emergency", kite. That is what the Fearless S, is for me. Being an inland, flier, were light and variable winds happen too often, the S allows me to fly and practice tricks.   

Jay
CTaylor
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2009, 06:40 AM »

I think the real differences between an indoor SUL and an outdoor SUL is whether you're using your arms to keep the kite up or your legs and arms.  I fly indoors a few times a year and used to fly a lot indoors when I was still in school.  Once you get comfortable with a true indoor kite you can keep it off the ground with just arm movements.  Now, something to consider is your lines are typically 15 feet or less but you aren't running/moving around so much that you get exhausted.  There is only one kite I've flown indoors and outdoors in my kitebag that will actually perform some of the newer styled tricks.  That is the Itrix.  It does take some learning to find the proper inputs but you aren't running like a crazy person to keep it up unless you're in a fade or performing a comete where you need a little more sail pressure. 

Line lengths make a huge difference to how much you have to work to keep a kite off the ground.

kevspilly
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2009, 01:29 PM »

Everything needs a bit of wind.

I've got a Benson IS, Double Zero, QP Pro SUL & Sea Devil SUL.

Benson IS will fly with a very slow backwards walk, everything thing else I've got does needs a bit of puff!

asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2009, 11:02 AM »

I am a big fan of SULs. I am usually on the beach early in the morning practicing on the weekends before the crowds come in around 10:30 AM between June-August- early being 6:30 AM in Asbury Park, NJ. This give me cool weather, no people, a couple of dog walkers and LOW WIND. The Benson IS in that first hour normally is a LIFE SAVER. I would probably go to the beach at 8AM if there was no thing as a Benson IS. Although I am not a Master Flyer as I still have some major tricks to master it does give a good number of low end TP tricks namely the FADE and double axel. The kite LOCKS INTO the Fade so well that lately I have with ONE HAND just held the FADE with this kite at times for about a minute straight with a PURE east wind off the Atlantic. Its an ego thing for me- what can I say ...  Tongue ... from this kite then the best performers with increasing wind in my opinion is as follows: SD-SUL, Ghost, QPRO-SUL, Exile-UL or SD-UL.  Wink Wink Wink
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 11:06 AM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
RonG
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2009, 11:46 AM »

The current kites just do not have the same efficiency.
Thank God.
tpatter

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2009, 12:30 PM »

the best performers with increasing wind in my opinion is as follows: SD-SUL, Ghost, QPRO-SUL, Exile-UL or SD-UL.  Wink Wink Wink

John,

You should check the settings on your Exile UL.  My EUL would fly in less than half the wind that my (and others) QPros required.

6 kite tom
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2009, 02:37 PM »

RonG,

Perhaps the concept of a kite flying is gone from your memory. But if you search way back, back to Shivas, back to STX 2.3s..... there once was a time when kites that flew were considered desirable.  Huh

If we all flew as well as you did, a kite's ability to fly would become less important.  Wink

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
RonG
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2009, 05:39 PM »

RonG,

Perhaps the concept of a kite flying is gone from your memory. But if you search way back, back to Shivas, back to STX 2.3s..... there once was a time when kites that flew were considered desirable.  Huh

If we all flew as well as you did, a kite's ability to fly would become less important.  Wink

I have nothing against them flying, but IMO a certain lack of efficiency is a good thing  Smiley
Winged V

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2009, 06:32 PM »

Except when your not flying in perfect winds. A smooth Flying kite paints a way nicer picture and makes better use of all the canvas.

Rick

Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change