GWTW Forum
November 21, 2014, 04:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Repairs suggestions  (Read 923 times)
jecko
Trade Count: (0)

« on: May 02, 2013, 01:30 AM »

Hi Guys,

Need help to repair tear mylar, any suggestions? Sad

Thanks
Ian.
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 05:56 AM »

Might just be me but I don't see a tear in the Mylar. They make clear duct tape. Might want to try that. Reinforced clear packing tape as well.

The material that has a tear.... is it the Dacron over the nose? That is not Mylar. If it's the Dacron, melt it just slightly and forget about it.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
Michel
Trade Count: (+12)

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 02:38 PM »

Change the nose and replace the center Dacron piece by a larger one.
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 04:45 PM »

Agreed.  Replace the nose material, put a wider section of dacron as the inner layer.

If you don't like the idea of a wider dacron section, you can use a triangle of ripstop in front and behind the torn section (sandwich the torn section). Sew the ripstop with a few parallel seams at right angles to the spine line - sort of like the nose of a Widowmaker or Sea Devil.

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
jecko

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 09:21 PM »

Agreed.  Replace the nose material, put a wider section of dacron as the inner layer.

If you don't like the idea of a wider dacron section, you can use a triangle of ripstop in front and behind the torn section (sandwich the torn section). Sew the ripstop with a few parallel seams at right angles to the spine line - sort of like the nose of a Widowmaker or Sea Devil.

Thanks Kevin and everyone.

I like the idea of Lam's few layers of ripstop at the nose area, but I never build a kite before. Do I have to sew new dacron/nose material for the nose or can I reuse the the current one.
I do not want to put too much weight on the nose since this is the Double Zero kite.
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 10:31 PM »

Do I have to sew new dacron/nose material for the nose or can I reuse the the current one.
I do not want to put too much weight on the nose since this is the Double Zero kite.

It's best to use fresh dacron.  Do you have any?  If not I can send you some

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
jecko

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 04:04 PM »

Do I have to sew new dacron/nose material for the nose or can I reuse the the current one.

It's best to use fresh dacron.  Do you have any?  If not I can send you some

Thanks for the offer, Kevin. I've bought some Dacron from my local kite shop.

I will try to sew the nose. Thanks again.  Smiley
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 11:16 PM »

Might just be me but I don't see a tear in the Mylar. They make clear duct tape. Might want to try that. Reinforced clear packing tape as well.

The material that has a tear.... is it the Dacron over the nose? That is not Mylar. If it's the Dacron, melt it just slightly and forget about it.
OK i have to say packing tape is not good to use on mylar or any sail repair for that matter.  The film used is harder plastic film that will stiffen over a short period of time and crack but more than that the glue used on packing tape is mildly acidic and reacts with the polyester used in mylar and will disolve the mylar leaving a worse hole than when you started.  Its also not moisture resistant and doesn't hold up to flexing very well. For a fast short term repair to keep you flying and stop further damage its ok but should not be left on more than a flight or two (few days).  I ran into this on a vapor I restored and know sailing friends that had similar issues.

Before you attempt the repair trace the nose and mark where all the stitching should be so you have a pattern to follow.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum