GWTW Forum
December 20, 2014, 07:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where are the women?  (Read 4548 times)
dayhiker
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2013, 06:14 PM »

I too am isolated from others in the kite world.  I have never seen anyone fly a Rev but me.  Even while at the beach (350 miles away) I usually have only seen kites in the distance.  I have met one time with a flyer who lives 98 miles distant.  He noticed me posting & contacted me through the PM system of this forum.  Thank you GWTW.  My thought is to attract local people to the fun so I'll have others to fly with some day.

"Well him & my uncle tore that engine down
 I still remember that rumblin' sound"   Steve Earle - Copperhead Road
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2013, 11:29 PM »

I too am isolated from others in the kite world.  I have never seen anyone fly a Rev but me.  Even while at the beach (350 miles away) I usually have only seen kites in the distance.  I have met one time with a flyer who lives 98 miles distant.  He noticed me posting & contacted me through the PM system of this forum.  Thank you GWTW.  My thought is to attract local people to the fun so I'll have others to fly with some day.
Best thing you can do if you see someone out with a kite of any kind or even just an onlooker is stop and go introduce yourself and offer to fly with them.  We average 1-3 new contacts a month in ripon and out of those get at least one new person interested in learning more or at least coming back to watch and picnic with us.  I'm working on a flyer to post up at some of the local hobby and outdoor shops as well to garner more interest in the fun fly.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2013, 07:46 AM »

Maybe I should just start my own kite shop (one may dream)... This is the exact reason why I wanted to build my own.

Why not? Others have done so in order to fill a void. A Brick & Mortar store may not be an immediate option but why not an internet store? I don't know what sort import taxes you have on items ordered outside the country, but if they are high like much of Europe you might find enough demand to make it worthwhile to set aside a bit of space and time. As a small business resaler would you avoid some of those import fees? If so you might make a few bucks, nobody gets rich in the kite business but many people do a little selling on the side in order to fund their addiction/hobby.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Mayfirst

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2013, 09:43 AM »

Maybe I should just start my own kite shop (one may dream)... This is the exact reason why I wanted to build my own.

Why not? Others have done so in order to fill a void. A Brick & Mortar store may not be an immediate option but why not an internet store? I don't know what sort import taxes you have on items ordered outside the country, but if they are high like much of Europe you might find enough demand to make it worthwhile to set aside a bit of space and time. As a small business resaler would you avoid some of those import fees? If so you might make a few bucks, nobody gets rich in the kite business but many people do a little selling on the side in order to fund their addiction/hobby.

I did give this a lot of thought actually, but I personally am not in a position to start my own company. I don't have the know-how, even though I have the time. I lost my job a year ago but I can hardly pay for my own hobbies, not to mention stock items for selling purposes. However I do plan on contacting the existing hobby stores and ask them to expand, but I don't have high hopes because the demand in Finland seems to be so tiny. Perfect catch-22, I'm sure there would be more demand if there was a local (internet) store, but without the demand I don't think anyone dares to try. Smiley
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2013, 10:05 AM »

Create the interest. Hobby stores are great but what about toy stores? Here in Northern California they even sell kites in the supermarkets- colorful, easy-to-fly single-line kites. It's just one step from kiddy flying these kites to hooking mom and/or dad into dual line kites.

Hold fun flys. Get the cooperation of your parks department (if there is one where you live). Hang flyers, send press releases, write an article and get it published. Is there a version of Craig's List in Finland?

I should send my flying buddy Steve Spooner to Finland- he's like a pied piper and you would have new flyers in no time.

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Mayfirst

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2013, 11:09 AM »

Create the interest. Hobby stores are great but what about toy stores? Here in Northern California they even sell kites in the supermarkets- colorful, easy-to-fly single-line kites. It's just one step from kiddy flying these kites to hooking mom and/or dad into dual line kites.

Hold fun flys. Get the cooperation of your parks department (if there is one where you live). Hang flyers, send press releases, write an article and get it published. Is there a version of Craig's List in Finland?

I should send my flying buddy Steve Spooner to Finland- he's like a pied piper and you would have new flyers in no time.

Nancy

There are some seriously poorly made kites available in supermarkets but those are the kind that even an experienced kiter can't get up in the air.  Roll Eyes
And of course we have park departments, "Graig's lists" and all that stuff, we're not exactly a third world country in general, only when it comes to kites. Wink But I think flyers are banned as it's considered littering...

I'm not experienced enough to write my own articles, just saying it's fun won't be enough when I won't be able to answer technical questions. There's been one article in some newspaper once but honestly, it alone wouldn't have gotten me interested either, they just explained the time consumption and how creative you need to be to create huge colorful things that cover the sun and how many people you need to just get it up and back down. It had a short video interview included where they showed only one trick kite for maybe 5 seconds and even that was just going in basic circles. Not exactly showing their "true colors" just with that..

I think probably the biggest misunderstanding in Finland with kites is that you can't fly them in winter and we have such short summers that people have already so much planned for their summer time that new hobbies don't come across their minds. Just guessing here.

I'll do what I can to "infect" others, but first I have to learn to fly trick kites myself. Cheesy
Mayfirst

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2013, 11:24 AM »

Just wanted to give you an example of your kite culture, these pictures are from the latest event which was on mother's day two years ago.
http://simos.kuvat.fi/kuvat/leija/%C3%A4itienp%C3%A4iv%C3%A4+-+suomenlinna+2011/
See any duals or quads? Yeah, me neither.
Might seem like a lot of people, but that place is a popular picnic place (it's actually an island with some castle ruins outside Helsinki, our capital, popular tourist destination as well), so most of them seem to be just observers. There's maybe 3 people from Finland that have actually made or bought those kites, rest are their family, friends, foreigners and observers.
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2013, 11:44 AM »

Just wanted to give you an example of your kite culture, these pictures are from the latest event which was on mother's day two years ago.
http://simos.kuvat.fi/kuvat/leija/%C3%A4itienp%C3%A4iv%C3%A4+-+suomenlinna+2011/
Might seem like a lot of people, but that place is a popular picnic place (it's actually an island with some castle ruins outside Helsinki, our capital, popular tourist destination as well), so most of them seem to be just observers. There's maybe 3 people from Finland that have actually made or bought those kites, rest are their family, friends, foreigners and observers.

Gee but the set-up looks so nice!
And the pictures are incredible! Who took them? You?

That should surely call the attention of people!
It is a good start!

Tell us when the next is up and we'll go with our trick kites to support you  Wink

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Mayfirst

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2013, 11:56 AM »

Gee but the set-up looks so nice!
And the pictures are incredible! Who took them? You?

That should surely call the attention of people!
It is a good start!

Tell us when the next is up and we'll go with our trick kites to support you  Wink

I'd love that! Cheesy But currently they have no events planned, and like I said, that one was two years ago. Gotta ask what's up with that. I missed that event, simply wasn't aware of it at the time.

Those pics were taken by Simo Sivonen, I don't know him personally, but I think he runs the kite club.

Edit: And the fact remains, that is an island. Only those who've gone there can see them, so there's not a lot of publicity. As I mentioned earlier, I've never seen a kite in Helsinki, yet I live right by the ocean and I walk my dog near some of the best locations for kiting every day.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 12:24 PM by Mayfirst » Logged
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2013, 11:00 PM »

One of our forum moderators Mike Emery ( Zippy8 ) is stationed up in Vihtavuori, Finland. I'd encourage you to send him a PM, if anybody knows of any kiting activities in your area I think Mike would.

If you can swing it when you're flying you could stake out a colorful single line kite or two. Not everybody gets the sport kite thing and some even see them as a little threatening with the speed and noise. But most everybody enjoys a colorful kite floating on the breeze. You'll be sure to get some people stop by to say hi and voice their appreciation and often an interest. One person is a curiosity, two people are a group, three people start looking like a movement. You just have to plant that seed.

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Mayfirst

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2013, 01:50 AM »

One of our forum moderators Mike Emery ( Zippy8 ) is stationed up in Vihtavuori, Finland. I'd encourage you to send him a PM, if anybody knows of any kiting activities in your area I think Mike would.

If you can swing it when you're flying you could stake out a colorful single line kite or two. Not everybody gets the sport kite thing and some even see them as a little threatening with the speed and noise. But most everybody enjoys a colorful kite floating on the breeze. You'll be sure to get some people stop by to say hi and voice their appreciation and often an interest. One person is a curiosity, two people are a group, three people start looking like a movement. You just have to plant that seed.

I'm sure I'll have more than just one kite by the time the snow melts and people start coming back to the beaches.  Grin And regarding Zippy, I've been waiting for him to join in on the conversation, but I guess he's been busy. Vihtavuori isn't exactly in my neck of the woods but who knows, maybe he does know! Fingers crossed.

PS. Love the video! Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 01:52 AM by Mayfirst » Logged
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2013, 05:26 PM »

Mike E is very active or aware of kiting everywheer, he ran virtual freestyle for awhile and I think was very active in Tricks Party, plus active on many of the Euro forums.

I thought the video illistrated my point, been waiting awhile to get an opening to throw it out there

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2013, 05:40 PM »

I'm sure I'll have more than just one kite by the time the snow melts and people start coming back to the beaches.  Grin And regarding Zippy, I've been waiting for him to join in on the conversation, but I guess he's been busy. Vihtavuori isn't exactly in my neck of the woods but who knows, maybe he does know! Fingers crossed.

PS. Love the video! Cheesy

i think that i saw on the FB that he is in france right now?Huh might be traveling....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2013, 12:19 PM »

There are events in Finland?Huh gotta remember that Zippy spends a bit of time at sea so maybe he misses them Wink

From Zippy over at The Other Place™
http://www.ruutu.fi/ohjelmat/nelosen-uutiset/jattimaiset-elainhahmot-tayttivat-suomenlinnan-taivaan

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
glk47
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2013, 06:16 PM »

My wife and I both fly, but she isn't active in any forums. I can quickly name at least 10 couples we know in the mid Atlantic region (US) who are active flyers. Some compete in stunt, some are kite builders, some both.

Larry
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum